What's new

Soap levels after xx shaves

@Ligeti One of the things I enjoy most about B&B is how many of us look differently at a similar problem. We all shave… but the variety of tools we use, soap/creams, this ones best, this ones worst (Arko… just kiddin). Some of us 3017 soaps, others chose a different soap every day. Your 6 soap rotation with documentation is really interesting. The pictures and shave counts are best part. FWIW, I am generally an undisciplined 3017’er. I love to use a single soap and really learn how to use it. The last few weeks on a given puck can be tedious. So I give my self permission to cheat :cool:

I have used several of the soaps you have listed (Tabac, MDC, SV), so am interested to see how many shaves it takes you to get to bottom. Thanks again for adding to the community knowledge base! I look forward to future updates!

Thanks!

Here you get (almost) daily updates by the way: diary & questions of a relative newbie

Previous situation, 18th of june with Tabac at 125, De Vergulde Hand, Baume.be and Palmolive at 75, Nivea at 25:

zeep na 125 - 75 - 25.jpg

Current situation:
Baume.be ran out after 83 shaves; Palmolive ran out after 83 shaves too.
Tabac at 150, De Vergulde Hand at 100, Nivea at 50 and both Martin de Candre and Saponificio Varesino at 25 shaves.

zeep na 150 - 100 - 50 - 25.jpg

Next picture is to be expected mid march 2024. Though the current tub of De Vergulde Hand might not make it. And I won't mind Nivea making it either.

Curious for daily updates? You'll find them here: Diary (& questions) of a relative newbie

Absolutely! The thread is fantastic!

Thank you @Ligeti for your work.

You know, I cannot walk up the stairs in our house without counting the steps. I cannot clean green beans without counting them. So for me, it's my normal behavior to count the number of shaves I get from a jar/tube/stick/tub. Sharing that in pictures is fun for me. Happy you enjoy it too!

Wow, the stick seems to run out a lot faster than the glass jar, you might finish in the vicinity of 100 shaves for 100g!
Not in my experience. The shave sticks last longer. The above stick was transferred into a container at the stage shown in the picture. I finished the soap after 57 shaves, in total.
I very much prefer to load from bowl and I get consistent lather quality.
Tabac tallow is one of my top performers.

There we go again, I reached the end of my current rotation so it's time for another 'soap levels after xx shaves' picture:

Previous situation (1st of november 2023) with Tabac at 150, De Vergulde Hand at 100, Nivea at 50 and both Martin de Candre and Saponificio Varesino at 25 shaves.

zeep na 150 - 100 - 50 - 25.jpg

Current situation: the Nivea ran out after 63 shaves (I used far too much cream for each shave though), the Palmolive cream has taken it's place.
Current levels: Tabac at 175, De Vergulde Hand at 125, both Martin de Candre and Saponificio Varesino at 50 shaves and Palmolive still unopened:

zeep na 175 - 125 - 50 - 0.jpg

Next picture probably in the vicinity of end may 2024.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
This thread is fantastic! Unfortunately, based on these numbers, my soap supply (croaps, pucks, and sticks; I don’t use creams), which I estimated at 10-11 years in rotation, may be closer to three centuries.

My estimates were 90 shaves from a puck, 70 from and Arko stick, and 60 from a small tub of Cella or Vitos (9 portions per kilo). I’m a soap waster… I dump my brush into my scuttle and reload every pass. My soaps are all inexpensive (using my numbers, between $0.03-0.08 per shave), so, I don’t worry too much about it. If I was using a $30 tub of artisan cream, I probably would.

Cheers!

@Ligeti - great update. Very interesting to see the difference between De Vergulde Hand and Tabac with the former puck almost gone while the Tabac puck appears to be relatively fresh. Even with 175 shaves!

@Ligeti - great update. Very interesting to see the difference between De Vergulde Hand and Tabac with the former puck almost gone while the Tabac puck appears to be relatively fresh. Even with 175 shaves!

Indeed.
Tabac is the only soap that's still there since the start of this thread.
Just as a reminder the first picture (all 5 products have been used for 35 shaves)

zeep na 35.png

Looking back at this picture, something weird strikes me.
I'll probably never return to Wilkinson Sword soap (but I love their blades).
I will probably return to ToBS one day. Maybe Sandalwood, maybe Jermyn Street. But most probably I'd shift from cream to soap.
I have already returned to Palmolive... but switched from stick to cream.

Where's the logic?
I'll give it a try but am open to alternative suggestions.
1. No sticks for me
2. If tub then soap
3. If not tub then tube (since rule nr 1). And therefore cream.

I'm sure this logic isn't correct. If Palmolive would be available as a soap in a tub, I'd still by the creamtube. If ToBS cream would come in a tube, I'd probably never buy it.
Something to do with the pricepoint then?

Help me out!

Top Bottom