What's new

So long 23c

I was cleaning up my bathroom this morning and cleaning my razors. I went to take my 23c apart and this is what happened.

proxy.php

It’s only 2 years old and hasn’t even been used most of this year since I got the 37c. Gotta love Zamak.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

Glad you were able to extract the threaded screw piece from the handle. If you are accustomed to that handle and like the way it feels, you can purchase a new (or better yet, a vintage) guard & cap and secure them to your trusty 23c handle and off ya go!

I was cleaning up my bathroom this morning and cleaning my razors. I went to take my 23c apart and this is what happened.

It’s only 2 years old and hasn’t even been used most of this year since I got the 37c. Gotta love Zamak.

Some center drill the screw post location and use a 10-32 or M5 x 0.8 screw. Doing that leaves zamac unprotected from water, but will buy more useful time with the razor.

UGH!!

I suggest you contact the company, they have a reputation for great service.

I bought it off the Zon and it’s date was up last year. I may try Merkur and see what they say.

Some center drill the screw post location and use a 10-32 or M5 x 0.8 screw. Doing that leaves zamac unprotected from water, but will buy more useful time with the razor.

It was just going to be passed to my step son. It’s not worth all that. I may just get another head for the handle. I’ve switched to slants now so it was just sitting getting dusty.

Just another data point, I've had a 23c for over fifteen years and it is still working fine. Maybe you got a defective one.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I could be wrong, but I think the threaded stud is the updated stainless stud that is cast into the Zamak cap during manufacturing. I've seen others that have come apart the same way.

I could be wrong, but I think the threaded stud is the updated stainless stud that is cast into the Zamak cap during manufacturing. I've seen others that have come apart the same way.

That’s what it looks like. The stud did appear to be stainless and it was cast into the head. Stainless is something I work with everyday and it doesn’t mix well like that with other metals.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
That’s what it looks like. The stud did appear to be stainless and it was cast into the head. Stainless is something I work with everyday and it doesn’t mix well like that with other metals.

Add a little side to side torque and something has to give. It wont be the stainless.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

proxy.php

No affiliation. Found this link when I was looking for top caps one day:

All Merkur razors have a two-year warranty here in Australia, and they’re reportedly flexible if it’s failed just outside that.

Is the same policy not applied worldwide?

All Merkur razors have a two-year warranty here in Australia, and they’re reportedly flexible if it’s failed just outside that.

Is the same policy not applied worldwide?

I found a post that says they have a 10 year warranty so I have contacted them to see if anything can be done.

proxy.php

That happened to me as well, some two months after I'd purchased the razor. Merkur declined to either replace it or sell me a replacement cap. I no longer recommend Merkur to anyone.

The good news is that the original post wasn't compromised. You can see the cap matches the slot in the top of the post. I superglued mine back together and so far it's holding. I don't have any great faith in it anymore, though.

Not saying it was, but that kind of failure can be caused by overtightening. If you're going tighter than just snug, it's probably too much.

Top Bottom