What's new

so. Derby, huh?

It is my understanding that people actually CHOOSE this blade. Can that be true? I for one cannot stand it. I tried it because I had it from the sampler pack and thought "how bad could it be?" Well, pretty bad. I didnt even make it through the first pass. It just felt, i dont know... dull? Maybe it is because I am comparing it to Astras and Feathers... but I think I have reached a point where I have so much stuff that is terrific... I am not willing to settle on something that just doesnt "Wow" me... I guess I am becoming a shaving snob. :lol:

I have about 9 of them left... and I think I would rather use them to practice cutting up garlic like they did on Goodfellas than to try and shave my face with them

They work for me.
A reliable blade which can tug a bit more than other blades but does give me close and irritation free shaves.

The most popular blade for a shavette (split DE blade straight) is the Derby blades.

In fact Derby blades come pre-split for use in shavettes.

You are just not using them in the right razor.

Pop one in an R41 and you will sing a diffrenet tune :001_smile

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Can that be true? I for one cannot stand it.

I concur. I have yet to try, but I have a theory that distilling Derby blades will produce essential oil of evil.

This I haven't tried. If I disappear from the board during the coming week, trying this is very likely the cause.

Last edited:
I love them , keep in mind one blade that is not good for you may be a great blade for someone else..

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
They always work fine for me which is good because I have about 150 left to use. Great with my Super Speeds and slants.

Put some away and try them again in a year.

They always work fine for me which is good because I have about 150 left to use. Great with my Super Speeds and slants.

Put some away and try them again in a year.

Sage advice form someone who has been around the block a few times! I always recommend new shavers try "ageing" their blade rejects when they first start out. It's amazing how a few months of sitting on the shelf can impreove a blade's performance!:lol:

Shaving with a Derby for me is like shaving with the very first trial rusted and used Ginsu. I hate em! I hate them in any razor I have used them in from my R89, my Merkur 180, to my R41. Tried in several different razors over a several year period and to my face they just suck. Now, that's just me, others seem to love them but for me they just don't work. IF, you haven't let them set for a long period between uses and trials of other blades and razors do so, then try them again. THEN make up your mind. Chris

I did. The tune was 9-1-1.
It was a bloodbath... lost more blood on those 3 shaves than I've lost in over a year with the straight.

A switch to Astra-SP, and later Gillette Yellow made a world of difference in the R41.

It is my understanding that people actually CHOOSE this blade. Can that be true? I for one cannot stand it. I tried it because I had it from the sampler pack and thought "how bad could it be?" Well, pretty bad. I didnt even make it through the first pass. It just felt, i dont know... dull? Maybe it is because I am comparing it to Astras and Feathers... but I think I have reached a point where I have so much stuff that is terrific... I am not willing to settle on something that just doesnt "Wow" me... I guess I am becoming a shaving snob. :lol:

I have about 9 of them left... and I think I would rather use them to practice cutting up garlic like they did on Goodfellas than to try and shave my face with them

I'm sure there's some products you rate highly that others don't, we're all different otherwise there would only be one razor, one blade, one brush and one soap. as we say around here - ymmv.

Seems the Derby blade is as polarizing as Arko and The Veg.

For me, they work great in most of my razors. Not so much in the Blue Tip, but then most blades are too mild with the Blue Tip. I really enjoy Derbys. But this is coming from a guy who isn't a fan of feathers or PolSilver SIs.

Derby was the first blade I tried when I started DE shaving. I thought they were alright. I revisited them after sampling other blades and thought they were pretty miserable the second time.

The most popular blade for a shavette (split DE blade straight) is the Derby blades.

In fact Derby blades come pre-split for use in shavettes.

You are just not using them in the right razor.

proxy.php
I have a pack of these because they came with a shavette I bid on. I somehow won both for £2.55. I only wanted the shavette but that was way cheaper than the shavette alone.
They were so cheap that I use each half only once. They work ok for one shave but are not as comfortable as other blades and aren't at all forgiving which has forced my technique and lather to improve lots.
I'm going to use the pack till it's done. I figure by the end when I go back to trying other blades i'll get even better results.

Sage advice form someone who has been around the block a few times! I always recommend new shavers try "ageing" their blade rejects when they first start out. It's amazing how a few months of sitting on the shelf can impreove a blade's performance!:lol:

Agreed. I find that Derby blades work well in some of my razors, but not in others. They were good, as I recall, in my Jagger and Muhle R41, and terrible in my Merkur 34C. They were lackluster in my slant. "Aging" the blade - coming back to it at another time for another try - is a worthwhile try. YMMV, of course.

Top Bottom