What's new

Smoked salmon

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I was going to smoke some salmon in a few days and have never done it before. One place says smoke at 200 degrees for 30-45 minutes until 140 degrees internal temerature. I'm going to get a couple of cedar planks and use those, and smoke with apple or cherry wood, or both.

Anyone have any hints? This is the kind I have in the freezer. Was only going to do a coupe of portions.

that is more like Kippered salmon then I used to make it in 2 hours or so in a kamado style grill google kippered salmon

MHO 30-45 min is just min Kippered level cooking it not smoking as that takes more like 4-8 hours or longer or better yet cold smoked :)

if you are looking to just have a tasty smoked flavor meal sounds good but again try it then ya know if ya want more or less flavor of the smoke :)

not a salmon fan unless its got some smoke flavor then love it or Lomilomi Hawaiian thing :) ahahhaah

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
IMHO there's two kinds of "smoked salmon" ...

One is salmon that is smoked juuuust enough to cook it and give it a bit of smokey flavour. Most of what is commercially available ... and almost all sold in restaurants (on bagels, poached eggs, &c) is this sort.

Then ... there's the stuff that's smoked enough to actually preserve it. This stuff is drier (it has to be dried out for the preservation to work) and tougher ... and tastier.

1646081324322.png

I guess it depends what sort of "smoked salmon" you want.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Then ... there's the stuff that's smoked enough to actually preserve it. This stuff is drier (it has to be dried out for the preservation to work) and tougher ... and tastier.

Yeeeeeeessss lol. I like my smoked salmon and trout dry.

So that is a hot smoked salmon recipe you are after. I don't have experience with either but good luck on your search, JM

I have a Traeger pellet grill. The smoke flavor will not be as pronounced as a charcoal grill or wood fired offset smoker.

I have done cedar plank salmon and I have done it with the salmon on a grilling mesh. A lot of the flavor comes from the seasoning you use. I like using McCormick Cedar Plank Salmon Seasoning, but you can use whatever seasoning or marinade you wish.

For cedar plank salmon, soak the cedar for a few minutes and then place the fish on the plank and place it on a grill preheated to 400 F or higher. The high temperature will cause the cedar to char and impart its flavor to the food. At that temperature, the fish cooks quickly, so you won't get a lot of flavor from the pellet smoke. Cook to 140-145 F.

You can also cook the salmon at 225 F or less. You can cook either on a cedar plank or on a grilling mesh. The fish will cook more slowly on the plank than if exposed to heat on both sides. At the lower temperature, the cook will take far longer exposing the meat to smoke for a longer period of time.

Some outdoor chefs use smoke tubes packed with wood pellets and chips to impart even more flavor.

I use Salmon filets and cook them on Alder rather than Cedar planks. Soak planks for about 2 hours. Cook skin side down for over medium high heat for 12-15 minutes. Keep a spray bottle of water handy for flare ups.

Top Bottom