What's new

Smoked Bologna anyone?

I've always liked smoked bologna, but I just recently heard it's kinda an Oklahoma thing, do you smoke bologna? Or have you had the pleasure of trying it?

Tried it once. Didn't do much for me. Just an interweb picture.

proxy.php

Good bologna is always smoked to cure it. Oscar Mayer is not real anything. Lebanon bologna is far and a way my favorite and in a sandwich I really like the sweet.

I have smoked a few chubs. Stick with beef broth bologna. Season it. Score it. Smoke it. Slice it. Makes some good sandwiches.

As a fan of smoked sausage, I like the sound of this.
My favorite in this genre is double-smoked kielbasa. I' fortunate to have various Polish shops not too far away from me.

My friend soaks in Frank's hot sauce then smokes. An interesting result- not bad!
Claims it comes from relatives in the old country (Kentucky).
Mike

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I've always liked smoked bologna,do you smoke bologna?

I do! I do! I do!

Have a 5 lb. chub ready to go on tomorrow. I don't do anything fancy with it like put on a rub, sauce it, marinade it or anything else. I just cut it up in to about 3 or 4 smaller pieces and throw it on the smoker for about 1 or 2 hours. It's gonna accompany a couple of slabs of ribs and a fatty.

AFTER it gets smoked is when I get fancy with it...like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVOID53WCaU

Start with a quality bologna, Boars Head is good. They also have a favorite of mine, olive loaf. In fact all of their products are top notch. My brother in law does their food shoots for them.

Attachments

• $th (2).jpg
    $th (2).jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 88
  • $th (1).jpg
    $th (1).jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 90

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Here's a chub I did yesterday:

Just going on. I didn't bother with cutting it up nicely...the meat slicer or a knife will take care of that later.

$IMG_0003.jpg

Pulled after about 2 1/2 hours.

$IMG_0004.jpg

A nice thick slice, along with a fatty.

$IMG_0006.jpg

Never tried to do it, but we're close enough for car trips to PA and I love Lebanon Bologna from the various butchers we've found. We always pack a cooler!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Smoked Spam? I haven't done that...yet. I think I'll try it next time but I like bologna better than Spam.

I just ordered ThermaQ thermometer last week...it should be here in a few days and I'll use that on the Spam. What internal temp. does the Spam need to be taken to Aaron? :lol:

What's a good smoker temperature/time for this? It sounds like something I have to try.

Just throw it on with the smoker about 225 or so and leave it on for a couple of hours or so. It's already cooked so you're just getting the smoke flavor on it. If 2 hours is a bit too much smoke flavor try about an hour or so next time. Better yet, try if for an hour and if it's not strong enough throw it back on. It will also get a bit stronger smoke flavor after it sits in the fridge overnight.

I have never even heard of someone smoking this. Now fried is something I like. A very good bologna slightly fried with well buttered toast, horse radish and a good sauerkraut, awesome!

Top Bottom