What's new

Smart or fitness watches

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
My dress watch is an Omega Seamaster, but my daily is a Fitbit Charge3. I want to upgrade to something with a bigger face and a clock face that is always on, but I have yet to land on a choice.

The Apple watch looks good, but I have a Samsung phone. The Fitbit battery lasts 6 days - I will miss that.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
This is the face I use on my Apple Watch. It gives me everything I need and I don’t need to have my phone with me. It’s close enough to perfect for me. That sounds like it could be a song. Hmmm!
D0B5AF32-EB71-4D5C-A764-7CEE602023B3.png

I use a Suunto Spartan Trainer for training but not as a daily wear. Battery life is great even when GPS is activated. It is also extremely useful for training in zones using HR and the GPS is spot on. I got it new for ~100usd and it is one of the most useful purchases I have ever made. I seldom use notifications because when it's on I'm disconnected. At 44mm it is very manageable. Highly recommended.

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
This is the face I use on my Apple Watch. It gives me everything I need and I don’t need to have my phone with me. It’s close enough to perfect for me. That sounds like it could be a song. Hmmm!
View attachment 1095376
Aha, one of those people eh? It’s just convenient isn’t it, having all the shortcuts and information in one place.

This is mine:
F2E1DC9B-9DDC-4C4D-A0D9-687FBE757126.jpeg

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
They are wonderful aren’t they?
I have my favorite music saved on my watch so I don’t have to haul my phone around when I workout.
And my important stuff is just a touch away.
I have never purchased the one with cell service. Don’t need it.

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
Mine is the one with cellular service, and after almost 2 years with it, I have to agree - it’s unnecessary.

I initially bought the watch as a backup means of getting help if I fell over and couldn’t reach my phone, for example - but I’ve since learnt that as long as your phone is within Bluetooth range, the watch will work just fine. Not going to refresh my contract for the watch’s cellular service I think...

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I have been using only Smart watches for five or six years and I'm totally completely absolutely sold on them. All have been Samsung and all have been SIM card equipped and so all have also had their own cell phone line.

The need to have a phone available 24/7/365 was the driving force. About five years ago I went through a period when I would simply pass out, without warning. I have no idea how long any unconsciousness lasted but I do know that I was in no shape to get back up or even crawl for at least several really unpleasant minutes. Thus the need for a smart watch that was also a phone. Not long after getting my first such watch, a Samsung Gear "S", I found myself on the kitchen floor. I called 911 and communicated with the EMS to get into the locked house through the garage. That incident led to me being hospitalized for about a month all told before getting back home.

A couple years after first getting the Gear "S" I added a second smart watch so that I would always have one on even when the other was charging. And finally, during the recent stay at home I retired the Gear "S" and added a new Samsung Galaxy Watch.

So to my experiences.

I rely on the health and communication (Phone, SMS) features and when in Bluetooth range the connection to my cell phone. But with each of the watches also having its individual cell phone line, they also automatically switch to remote cell phone connection to my phone. Calls, messages, Alexa reminder and notices and severe weather alerts get sent directly to my watch. I can make and receive calls and messages and they will be sent as my main cell phone number. But even if my cell phone fails (and one did) I still have direct phone and message service with the Smart watch.

Short use time was mentioned above. My experience has been that I get over two full days on a charge and that recharging a watch from near empty to 100% generally takes 1½ to 2 hours. I generally change watches on the morning of the third day. Usually the watch will still say it has 5-9 hours charge at that time.

I don't surf the web or watch movies or play music on my watches although they are capable of doing such things. The watches sync my activity, heart rate and other data with the main health application on my cell phone.

Honestly I cannot even imagine ever going back to a conventional watch.

How accurate is the Apple watch for walking distances? I use my iphone and it seems to make a significant difference where I carry it. Side pocket on a pair of cargos and I can easily rack up 4-5 miles in a day. Breast pocket or shirt pocket and the mileage drops considerably. I am guessing that it really is counting steps like and old pedometer rather than using GPS to index point to point motion. Although I'm quite a fan of mechanical watches, I'd be open to trying an Apple watch.

Top Bottom