What's new

Small fixed-blade recommendations?

Here's another recommendation for the Becker BK-11 (necker, in some parts), ESEE Izula (or Izula II), or the hybrid of these, the EsKabar. I have both the Izula and a couple of the Becker neckers and I try to set them to work whenever I can. Both companies offer amazing customer service and solid US craftsmanship, and the knives are simply put: very damn useful. It's kind of fun wrapping the handles in paracord, there are a few demos on youtube for techniques and styles.

Let us know what you end up with!

I'll throw my 2 cents in. Esee Izula or Izula 2 is what I would look at. I have the ESEE-4 and it's an outstanding tool. It gets carried more than my VERY nice Bob Dozier, or my Fallkniven F1. I wouldn't hesitate to add an Izula to the lineup.

Another custom neck knife guy would be Murray Carter. I would certainly contact Tom Krein though if I were looking for a custom. Another knife I have always wanted was a Camillus Mini Talon. VERY rare to find these days, but a great knife out of great steel.

Oh, and if you like custom knives and D2, Charles May makes GORGEOUS knives for reasonable money. I used to have one... I couldn't bear to use it though it was so beautiful, so I traded it for a custom fly rod. Phenomenal knife though.

I love Anza knives but I think the Izula is the best production made small fixey. For customs, fletcherknives.com Dylan makes outstanding blades. I bought one a year ago and havent bought a knife since. Its a big one though.

Before wearing a neck knife and allowing it to tuck behind your shirt (or a jacket to ride over a belt sheath) be sure to be aware of your local laws and the laws where you travel.
I'm not familiar with the laws outside of California, but California knife laws aren't really that bad compared to other states.
Example: Barring local ordinances (LA and a couple of bay area cities that are more strict), we can carry a folder concealed at any time as long as it is folded.
A fixed blade (or open folder) must never be concealed (jacket falling over a belt knife)... it's a felony.
A fixed blade of any length can be carried exposed.

Yes... it's kinda stupid.

A concealed handgun without a permit is a misdemeanor (felony wobbler)
But THIS in your pocket is a felony....

$cwpennyknifecombo.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions, and there were some great ones. I've ordered an Izula II (and almost simultaneously picked up an ESEE 3 to keep it company). Can't wait for it to arrive.

thanks,
Mike

Small fixed-blade?
You can't beat that with a stick. For real work and not collection I wouldn't want anything but it, it's pure utility. The price/quality ratio is astonishing. Made in Sweden. Comes so sharp too. A real Swedish traditional "Mora" knife.

http://www.moraofsweden.se/home-1.0.115.2

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mora_knife)

I love Mora knives, and they do set the bar for price/quality ratio. Terrific steel, too. I have a couple, but I haven't found one with a sheath that would seem to work as a neck knife dangling upside down. There probably is one -- I just haven't found it.

Top Bottom