What's new

Skunks

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Shooting them with a pellet gun in the live trap is my method. Got rid of 2 this summer. They do spray, but you can stay out of range.
I'm so glad you posted this! I couldn't find it earlier. My neighbor called me yesterday evening. He had trapped a little skunk in his live trap inside his chicken coop and doesn't have a gun.

I had no idea what I was getting into, so I took a revolver and a rifle. My Romanian training rifle made me look like a good shot. I had to shoot through two doors, both covered in chicken wire. The little thing had not yet sprayed! The neighbors were able to open both doors for me. I was about 12 feet away. He kept looking at me. I was able to hit him in the head. He immediately turned around! I thought I'd missed but then he flopped over. About a minute later he started smelling like a skunk. I've eaten skunk, but not this one.
We've had them get in the bee hives before, but I've never had the misfortune of catching one before.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I'm so glad you posted this! I couldn't find it earlier. My neighbor called me yesterday evening. He had trapped a little skunk in his live trap inside his chicken coop and doesn't have a gun.

I had no idea what I was getting into, so I took a revolver and a rifle. My Romanian training rifle made me look like a good shot. I had to shoot through two doors, both covered in chicken wire. The little thing had not yet sprayed! The neighbors were able to open both doors for me. I was about 12 feet away. He kept looking at me. I was able to hit him in the head. He immediately turned around! I thought I'd missed but then he flopped over. About a minute later he started smelling like a skunk. I've eaten skunk, but not this one.
We've had them get in the bee hives before, but I've never had the misfortune of catching one before.

Don't get too emotional about that little thing...they can be viscous. You should have seen the body parts and guts from kittens that two of them strung around the yard. They killed about 6.

Last one I nailed, with a center chest hit, ran about 15 yards then its legs stiffened up and it fell over.

FarmerTan

Don't get too emotional about that little thing...they can be viscous. You should have seen the body parts and guts from kittens that two of them strung around the yard. They killed about 6.

Last one I nailed, with a center chest hit, ran about 15 yards then its legs stiffened up and it fell over.
I'd never shot one before. Every coon I've shot kick their legs and spaz out. Honestly thought I missed it.

Skunk trappers inject acetone into their lungs with a syringe on a stick. They keel over almost instantly. That’s the only way I know that keeps them from spraying most of the time. I don’t get many on my line so I never invested in a kill stick. That spray is actually worth a good bit of money. Last I knew quill sold for $16 an ounce. Furs might fetch a few bucks for s nice stripe.

FarmerTan

Skunk trappers inject acetone into their lungs with a syringe on a stick. They keel over almost instantly. That’s the only way I know that keeps them from spraying most of the time. I don’t get many on my line so I never invested in a kill stick. That spray is actually worth a good bit of money. Last I knew quill sold for $16 an ounce. Furs might fetch a few bucks for s nice stripe.
Man. Furs have gone WAY down from the early 70's. My neighbor had $5000 coon dogs back then!

He used to kill his captive coons with his truck exhaust as I recall. Lol, all us neighborhood kids are lucky we didn't grow up to be deviants!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Furs have gone WAY down from the early 70's. My neighbor had $5000 coon dogs back then!

Way down from the early 80's even. The last year we coon hunted was 1981. Average price was $119 a pelt at the big Hudson Bay fur sale.

My dad turned down $10,000US for this hound in 1976.

War Drum.JPG

At one bush we hunted in 1981 that hound came off the tailgate barking treed. We shot 7 coon in one tree and 21 over him that night.

The last I talked to a fur buyer he was only taking XXL pelts, any fang or bullet holes had to be sewed and the pelts washed and brushed. He was paying $20 a pelt, in 1995.

FarmerTan

Way down from the early 80's even. The last year we coon hunted was 1981. Average price was $119 a pelt at the big Hudson Bay fur sale.

My dad turned down $10,000US for this hound in 1976.

View attachment 1004386

At one bush we hunted in 1981 that hound came off the tailgate barking treed. We shot 7 coon in one tree and 21 over him that night.

The last I talked to a fur buyer he was only taking XXL pelts, any fang or bullet holes had to be sewed and the pelts washed and brushed. He was paying $20 a pelt, in 1995.
Times have changed, not always for the best.

Top Bottom