What's new

Skunks

A mommy skunk and her two babies have moved in under my shed. Any advice on how to deal with them? I have a live trap but I’m nervous about getting sprayed. Last night my son forgot to close the door of the chicken coop and the skunk raided the eggs. They are also digging in the garden and causing damage to the yard.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
They will also kill baby kittens. A shotgun works well if you are allowed to use it where you live. If you catch one in a live trap throw a blanket or something over the trap so the skunk can't see you, and you "should" be able to pick up the trap and haul it off. I learned that little trick from an Animal Control Officer, and I've seen it work.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Theres a trick to live trapping skunks. If you catch one in a live trap dont approach it. Hold up a blanket so it cant see you, hands holding it above your head and to the ground so you're completely hidden. Walk slowly towards the trap and gently drape the blanket over the entire trap. If the skunk cant see you it wont spray. If its especially agitated, wet the blanket first and if it does spray very little will pass through the blanket with most of it sticking to it. Then just pick the trap up, blanket and all by the handle and off he goes, either to the water barrel or the back of a truck. The little ones cant spray but they'll turn their backs on you to try.

If you're sure the skunks are out of the den, you can cover the hole with a large rock, big enough they cant move it. Obviously they need to be out before doing that. If you need to get them out, mothballs work. Just toss a bunch down the hole, they cant stand the fumes. What works better is a rag dunked in bleach. Dont wring it out and stuff it down the hole with a broom handle or something. Either way its the fumes that drive them out.

Depending how old the pups are, the mother may not to want to move them but if they're out and about with her they wont have a problem finding a new home.

Skunks have poor vision and they dont like movement. If you're not sure if theres one in the yard take a bright flashlight and if you see one, wave it slowly back and forth on the ground in front of them. They'll usually stop dead when they see the light then the motion of it makes them go another way.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Theres a trick to live trapping skunks. If you catch one in a live trap dont approach it. Hold up a blanket so it cant see you, hands holding it above your head and to the ground so you're completely hidden. Walk slowly towards the trap and gently drape the blanket over the entire trap. If the skunk cant see you it wont spray. If its especially agitated, wet the blanket first and if it does spray very little will pass through the blanket with most of it sticking to it. Then just pick the trap up, blanket and all by the handle and off he goes, either to the water barrel or the back of a truck. The little ones cant spray but they'll turn their backs on you to try.

If you're sure the skunks are out of the den, you can cover the hole with a large rock, big enough they cant move it. Obviously they need to be out before doing that. If you need to get them out, mothballs work. Just toss a bunch down the hole, they cant stand the fumes. What works better is a rag dunked in bleach. Dont wring it out and stuff it down the hole with a broom handle or something. Either way its the fumes that drive them out.

Depending how old the pups are, the mother may not to want to move them but if they're out and about with her they wont have a problem finding a new home.

Skunks have poor vision and they dont like movement. If you're not sure if theres one in the yard take a bright flashlight and if you see one, wave it slowly back and forth on the ground in front of them. They'll usually stop dead when they see the light then the motion of it makes them go another way.

That seems to be the accepted method for moving a trapped skunk. If you don't want to or can't shoot one, there is the option of calling animal control if you live in an area that has that service.

What to Do with a Trapped Skunk

How to Trap a Skunk Trapping Tips and Bait

proxy.php

Don’t judge, I hate skunks. Vermin.

Hosing down the skunk in the trap with a gentle spray of water will also deter their spraying. A trap needs to be appropriately sized so they can’t raise their tail, also. Tail not raised, they can’t aim well or get off a strong shot. I was told they won’t spray but in doing somonce some juice was let loose. The trap I use is about 5”Hx5”W.

Dusting the entrance area with Diatomaceous Earth before placing and securing/sealing the trap at the entrance, can help determine if the skunk(s) is/are in or out. Trapping a skunk that just birthed can leave kits behind to die and stink, if that is an issue. I don’t recall what is suggested in that case. Maybe waiting till the kits leave the den, again checked by the dusting.

I use stomping and pounding a walking stick on the lawn as I walk out, to drive them off. They are very sensitive to vibrations, which is how they detect grubs feeding in or emerging from the soil. They are actively feeding now in my area. I walked right out into fresh drifting spray two weeks ago when the neighbors dogs was hit by one. I’m just now beginnign to recover from what it did to my gut.

Have fun.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
That seems to be the accepted method for moving a trapped skunk. If you don't want to or can't shoot one, there is the option of calling animal control if you live in an area that has that service.

City animal control here may or may not remove them and they may or may not charge to remove them, thats up to the officer that responds. Pest control services will trap and live release, so they say, but that starts at $150 per animal per trap. Three skunks, three traps lol.

A friend took 7 out of his yard in one year with my box trap. Shooting them isnt an option here.

I live in the suburbs so I can’t use a 22. Ive got a pellet gun that can do the job but I have to be careful doing that also. Not allowed to even shoot a pellet gun in city limits. Trappers charge $200 to just show up and set a trap. Then $125 per animal they remove. It’s illegal to release them and they have to be euthanized. I know there’s 3 in there. Think I’ll set the trap tonight and see what happens. Thanks for the advice guys.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Someone told me if you pick up a skunk by it’s tail it can’t spray. But getting to the tail....

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I live in the suburbs so I can’t use a 22. Ive got a pellet gun that can do the job but I have to be careful doing that also. Not allowed to even shoot a pellet gun in city limits. Trappers charge $200 to just show up and set a trap. Then $125 per animal they remove. It’s illegal to release them and they have to be euthanized. I know there’s 3 in there. Think I’ll set the trap tonight and see what happens. Thanks for the advice guys.
Good luck my friend. I had to dispatch a raccoon this AM stuck in my death, er, live trap. They've been eating more chicken feed than my chickens for the last three nights. I know there are two more to catch. Hopefully I will get them both, little buggers.

FarmerTan

Oh, get a 55 gallon drum and fill it with water, unless your neighbors don't like you drowning them.

FarmerTan

Caught another small raccoon this AM. At least one more to go.

Of course, there are plenty more that may come to the funeral!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
This fact sheet (which I would consider from a reputable source) says that is not true.

On the up side, if you do hold one up by the tail he wont be able to bite you lol.

The easiest way to be rid of any animals is to remove first their security and second their food supply. If they cant find food easily, they'll look elsewhere. If they dont feel safe they'll move even quicker.

The rain barrel is the last option to me. Its funny they dont spray and just think they're going for a swim. If I was a skunk and someone was dropping me in a rain barrel you can bet I'd be spraying up a storm lol.

Around here it's rabid racoons that are getting all the press, can't recall, that's not to say there haven't been, rabid skunk reports.
dave

Yeah in theory any of those guys could have rabies regardless of geography, but we do have some information about which species variants predominate by geographic area. See the CDC map in my post above.

On the up side, if you do hold one up by the tail he wont be able to bite you lol.

Probably not...but you might be surprised. I won’t test it lol.

Shooting them with a pellet gun in the live trap is my method. Got rid of 2 this summer. They do spray, but you can stay out of range.

Top Bottom