What's new

Single edge thoughts

Looking to get my first SE. I'd like a ss , fairly hefty and good grip. Also under $100.
What are some of your recommendations or experiences?

+1 on this one. I have the Hawk V3A with the Super Knurl handle. Paired with Feather Feather ProGuards.
This is one of my favorites and the handle is as grippy as they come.
Thank you for your great feedback !! I have sensitive skin and very light growth, fo you think 2 passes will be adequate with Hawk for a smooth shave ?

I have the standard Hawk. It’s my go to razor when I’m in a rush. Simple and always a great shave. I use it with the Kai titan Blades.

What type of SE? Injector? Gem? AC? SHaDE?
I’d highly recommend doing some research on the different formats. Each one has different strengths and each has its champions in the community. I’ve used all regularly at some time. And the injector is by far my favorite. The Parker adjustable is available at $40. Parker Adjustable Injector Razor Review (Now v3!) - Sharpologist - https://sharpologist.com/parker-adjustable-injector-razor/. Along with many vintage models.

Looking to get my first SE. I'd like a ss , fairly hefty and good grip. Also under $100.
What are some of your recommendations or experiences?
johnnynewshave

Curious. Why the interest in SE’s. What do you shave with now and for how long? Do you enjoy what you use now? This information will help members learn more about your likes and likes. Do you prefer mild, moderate, aggressive type razors?

You will enjoy this journey. It will take time. You may not really enjoy a modern SE until you try several vintage SE’s, the modern ones are based off of in IMHO. I am referring only to GEM type razors.

It will not be a quick process. Like finding the right DE, there is the trial an error process that will take time. There are mild, moderate, and aggressive SE type razors. For now use the same brush, if you use one, and use the same software. You will have to invest in GEM PTFE blades. For now those are the only ones most recommend you try.

Are you open to vintage GEM/Ever Ready razors? If not ignore the rest of this thread.

Many SE users begin their journey with these vintage razor types. They are easy to use and considered some of the best razors ever made. Know this. The shaving angles are different than DE’s. Learn the difference before using a SE. They are not SS. Most have hefty and good grips? They are definitely under $100. You can get maybe 3-4 at that price range. Maybe invest in a mild, moderate and aggressive to see what you prefer. Go from there.

Learn more about them based on information from this forum. Type in, types of GEM/Ever Ready razors. Don’t not be turned off by used razors. They can be cleaned. You will learn how. There is a lot of experience here to learn from. Once you know what you like, then go modern if you choose too.

I recommend you go to YouTube, if you have not already. Type in, vintage GEM/Ever Ready razors and then type in, modern single edge razors m, and enjoy. After this research you can then make informed decisions about what you may like based on experience, not just based on price. All of my SE’s were purchased off of EBay. I believe this forum has a place you can buy razors. Inquire if interested.

Enjoy your shaves with whatever you choose to use.

Last edited:
Shield Evolution 316L for $60 shipped, it's been great, it's been my main razor since getting it.
I second this one! Best value for money as a first time razor IMO. You can also swap the handle for something heavier, they have a lot of options on Aliexpress.

I’d also second the vintage Gem/ER/Star route. You can probably get most of the popular models and still come in under your budget. The 1912 models are abundant and you can find nos examples for not that much

Top Bottom