What's new

Single Edge Questions

I've picked up these three single edge razors in my various stops at antique stores. From what I've been able to gather, the razor on the left (Gem Damaskeene) and the one in the center (Ever-Ready with chain link handle) are basically the same 1912 patent date razor. Is this correct? Should they shave about the same? What about the razor on the right? Is that Ever-Ready also considered a 1912? I couldn't find a patent date on this one and the head opens in a different manner than the other two, which makes me think it might be a different model.

Thus far, I've only shaved with the one in the center and I was not overly impressed. It was a pretty good shave, but I get as good and generally better shaves with a double edge razor. If it makes a difference, I just used the generic blades from CVS. Perhaps some different blades would make a difference. Any words from the wise?

Your Gem Damaskeene and Ever-Ready both appear to to have the patent 1912 head. And as such, should shave the same. The different handles may make a slight difference, but I wouldn't imagine much. I believe the patent applied for head came out around 1924, but don't quote me on that. I've not shaved with one. The 1912s are one of my favorite SEs. They can give a close shave, but will require multiple passes. As far as blades go, most SE shavers will recommend stainless coated blades. At one time CVS sold Treet SEs, which are carbon steel and quite sharp, but I'm not sure what their store brand blades are. I've had good success with the Treets, even here in humid Florida. I just finished a week's worth of shaves on one. I don't have a problem with them rusting, but then I shave and store my razor and blades in a separate dressing area, not in a steamy bathroom. I did try some generic Korean SE blades from a shop near my office. Although their packaging indicated they were meant for shaving, they were quite dull. Not even as sharp as Korean Dorco DE blades. You'll need a slick lather and a very light touch because the flat of the razor's head needs to as close to your skin as possible. Be advised though, if it's too close, the razor's head may drag and skip on your skin. Keep that touch very light! There are other model SEs that seem to shave closer in a single pass that the 1912s, like some of the older Micromatics or the original Push Button I used this morning. Still, I really like the 1912s.

-Clarke

Your suspicion is correct--your Ever-Ready is not a 1912. You ought to try it though.

+1 on Personnna Super Stainless from Walgreens.

- Chris

Thanks for the assistance! I picked up some of the Gem Personna blades just like the ones in the link above. I look forward to being able to give them a try. Thanks again!

Brian, the Damaskeene is the only razor that can come close to the shave I get from the Slant. With a good blade and light touch, you will soon be singing its praises and joining the Gemistocracy.

Top Bottom