What's new

Simpsons Super or a different brush on the $150-$200 range?

In my opinion, everyone should at least once experience chubby3 or polar 12 and 14. In my opinion, in addition to the hair grade, what makes Simpson special is the density.
I have bought and returned about 7-8 brushes , polo 12 and 10 and chubby 3s ,due to complete lack of density -and those brushes did not feel special at all.

I have some brushes, I don’t use, or use them once every couple of months, due to how rare and difficult they are to obtain.
For example, my polo 12 super in grey box - is my densest brush and it is such a joy to use.

I would buy them from place where it is easy to return. talk to them ahead of time. Explain to them that you would like them to ship you to three brushes and you would pick one of those. Most windows would work with you.

I agree with Rudy, there is variation in the hair, the above mentioned polo 12 super is in a league of its own compared to all my other brushes.

I also have a polo 12, which is the best, and the hair is nothing like super, Manchurian, or best. It has fantastic backbone, and only the very end of the Tips ever so soft and velvety.

good luck finding your brush .

Great pickups👍. Assuming you bought the CH2 (red white & blue) and not the CH3. That Manchurian CH2 is a wonderful brush and a fantastically dense knot, you will be rewarded when it losses up a little. Congrats! I just pulled the trigger on the CH2 Manchurian Tortoise shell this morning.

Very tempting, they look FABULOUS!! Enjoy your new brush!! :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

Those are some good sales. Would Manchurian be the best quality?
Definitely Manchurian. The hairs are thicker and still have soft tips and feel plush on the face. The 3 band super grade isn't bad, but only after a long break in period. I wouldn't recommend those unless you can find cheap and new (20-30% off reg price and free shipping) with the standard ivory handle. The Manchurian is the best hair they offer IMO but they are over priced so buy during sale periods from Simpson. As with any badger brush i've ever owned, they are all pretty hit or miss even the same brush is different day in and day out. That's just part of using a real animal hair brush.

Here they are!

Attachments

• IMG_9306.jpeg
    IMG_9306.jpeg
    984.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9307.jpeg
    IMG_9307.jpeg
    837.8 KB · Views: 14
Definitely Manchurian. The hairs are thicker and still have soft tips and feel plush on the face. The 3 band super grade isn't bad, but only after a long break in period. I wouldn't recommend those unless you can find cheap and new (20-30% off reg price and free shipping) with the standard ivory handle. The Manchurian is the best hair they offer IMO but they are over priced so buy during sale periods from Simpson. As with any badger brush i've ever owned, they are all pretty hit or miss even the same brush is different day in and day out. That's just part of using a real animal hair brush.
It used to be that the ‘best quality’ hair was the finest (silvertip hair, from the neck), not the thickest (whatever part of the animal two-band hair is from). With some brush manufacturers the knot pricing is still that way. Fashions change, I suppose, and prices follow the fashion.

Top Bottom