What's new

Simpsons Manchurian

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I thought Simpson has said all their knots are hand-tied in England. Is this no longer the case, or did I just misremember what I thought I knew?

Perhaps all knots are actually hand-tied as opposed to being made by machines. I really don't know, but I know the difference in appearance from what I think of as a hand-tied not and what I think of as not-hand-tied knots.
I have always thought that every knot, by every maker, is hand tied, the only difference being who is doing the tying and their relative skill. I believe that some Simpson knots are tied by hand, in the traditional way, at the factory in the Isle Of Man. I would not expect however, that the cheapest Simpson synthetic knots are are hand tied by the same staff, as it would not be economically viable to do so. Further, I am not convinced that the two band SiLVERTiP knots are hand tied at the Isle Of Man factory, instead I believe them to be hand tied in China. There is nothing wrong with that, and the quality may be just as good if not better, but it is enough to dissuade me from acquiring one.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I have always thought that every knot, by every maker, is hand tied, the only difference being who is doing the tying and their relative skill. I believe that some Simpson knots are tied by hand, in the traditional way, at the factory in the Isle Of Man. I would not expect however, that the cheapest Simpson synthetic knots are are hand tied by the same staff, as it would not be economically viable to do so. Further, I am not convinced that the two band SiLVERTiP knots are hand tied at the Isle Of Man factory, instead I believe them to be hand tied in China. There is nothing wrong with that, and the quality may be just as good if not better, but it is enough to dissuade me from acquiring one.
Agree, the knot is very good, I have one myself. However, I do not think it is OK not to mention that the knot is not made by Simpson in the UK. And at the price point for the brush, people should know they do not get a knot made by UK crafts men/women, but by someone in China. As far as I recall, the company never got back to the person who posted the failed Chubby Silvertip and contacted them for clarification, and this tells us a lot.

Top Bottom