What's new

Simpsons label

Am I the only one who finds it irritating that the Simpsons label has "Great Britain" on it when they are made on the Isle of Man?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Most of mine show England and sterilized (old label).

full

Is it Simpson or Simpsons? That bugs me. :surrender:
I've been wondering about that for quite a while.

The website doesn't make it clear. On their Company History page and elsewhere (e.g. Facebook and Twitter), the company is listed as "A.E. Simpson (Est. 1919)" and doing business as "Simpson Shaving Brushes". However, right at the top of the page, it says "Simpsons".

This is further exemplified by the brushes themselves. Here's a photo of my Special S1 in Best... with the box displaying "Simpsons" and the brush label stating "Simpson": :laugh:

proxy.php

I'm just spitballing here, but I wonder if "Simpsons" came about because there have been multiple Simpson family members running the company over the years. Collectively, they are the Simpsons.

Maybe Mark (AKA @A.E. Simpson 1919) can clarify.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Great Britain is the name for the biggest island in the United Kingdom. The Isle of Man, as the name implies, is a separate island.
That is true. Simpson are perhaps using the term 'Great Britain' loosely, maybe they are referring to the British Isles defined in the Interpretation Act of 1978 thus "British Islands means the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man". The Simpson web site claims 'hand made in Britain', 'hand made in the UK', 'within Great Britain and the British Isles', 'based at the centre of the British Isles on the beautiful Isle of Man' and a whole load of other stuff. They probably couldn't fit all that on the label 😁 At any rate, I like their brushes and the labels. As suggested above you can remove the label, or wait two weeks then it may well fall off on its own. 👍

Am I the only one who finds it irritating that the Simpsons label has "Great Britain" on it when they are made on the Isle of Man?
Go look up "The British Isles".

You'll find that The Isle of Man is one of them.

BUT, before you launch an insurrection to free The Isle of Man, it may be best to check with the Simpsons first - they may like things the way they are.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Go look up "The British Isles".

You'll find that The Isle of Man is one of them.

BUT, before you launch an insurrection to free The Isle of Man, it may be best to check with the Simpsons first - they may like things the way they are.
It is my understanding that 'Great Britain' and 'The British Isles' are not one and the same thing, they are distinctly different. Great Britain is merely one of the British Isles, another being the Isle of Man which is not part of Great Britain. For example The Republic Of Ireland is part of the British Isles but it is not a part of Great Britain. The Simpson label says 'Great Britain' it does not say 'British Isles'. Perhaps it is a matter of semantics or maybe I misunderstand.

This is what happens with thousands of years of history. The terminology is confusing, but I think @thefenlander is correct.

Geographically, Great Britain is the largest island in the British Isles. Politically, Great Britain includes many of the British Isles, such as the Hebrides. The Channel Islands and Isle of Man are not included, though.

The Isle of Man is technically a Crown dependency, so the UK is responsible for it in many ways.

From the Simpson's Website:
1596706979466.png
1596707042082.png

Looks like they label both ways.

According to the Simpson Website, they were a London based Company, until 2008, when relocated to the Isle of Man.

"Today we are perhaps the only remaining manufacturer of genuinely hand-made shaving brushes within Great Britain and the British Isles. Our extensive range of products in a large variety of styles & materials make Simpson the number one choice when selecting your next brush. "

That they choose to associate themselves with Great Britain and The British Isles is their choice.

...That they choose to associate themselves with Great Britain and The British Isles is their choice.
This is Marketing, only very loosely concerned with the facts. I guess "Great Britain and The British Isles" is too long of a weaselly phrase to fit on the label, so they just shortened it to "Great Britain" and there you go.
:laugh:

Last edited:
Simpson brushes are among the very best in the world, proudly handmade by skilled workers in the old traditional way.

That's all that really matters to me.

Plus one of the very few that still make brushes in various sizes and take care to set the loft height in accordance to the width.
For someone that does not want or like the plus size spree that is coming from China this is ..''priceless''.

I've been wondering about that for quite a while.

The website doesn't make it clear. On their Company History page and elsewhere (e.g. Facebook and Twitter), the company is listed as "A.E. Simpson (Est. 1919)" and doing business as "Simpson Shaving Brushes". However, right at the top of the page, it says "Simpsons".

This is further exemplified by the brushes themselves. Here's a photo of my Special S1 in Best... with the box displaying "Simpsons" and the brush label stating "Simpson": :laugh:

proxy.php

I'm just spitballing here, but I wonder if "Simpsons" came about because there have been multiple Simpson family members running the company over the years. Collectively, they are the Simpsons.

Maybe Mark (AKA @A.E. Simpson 1919) can clarify.

+2! Yep!! Definitely confusing!!

Real 1st world problems here guys!

I’m a proud Manxman that carries a United Kingdom passport though I don’t live in the United Kingdom, rather we’re a part of it as a Crown Dependancy, but I’m extremely happy to be British.

You got all that ;0)
So far, it all makes sense in the British way, at least. What about the burning, first-world question: why does the label say Great Britain when, technically speaking, Mann is not part of Great Britain, though it is a Crown Dependency of the UK?

Top Bottom