What's new

FS Simpson + RV Brushes; E1 Fatboy; MdC Vetyver

Status
Not open for further replies.
My last fire sale of the year and a few really nice items to offer...

First up is a razor that needs no introduction, but I will anyway... the Gillette E1 Fatboy in excellent condition. Asking $75 CONUS.
IMG_6415.jpeg

IMG_6405.jpeg

Next up is a 200mg jar of Martin de Candre Vetyver 95%+ full with the original box. I have 4 other MdC soaps and at this rate I will be 100 before they are all used up. Asking $50 CONUS.
IMG_6410.jpeg

First brush up today is a Rudy Vey custom handle Lime Swirl with a Shavemac D01-2 Band Badger. This brush has less than 10 shaves. I have this knot in another brush so this one is expendable (dimensions 24/48). Asking $120 CONUS.
IMG_6393.jpeg

IMG_6394.jpeg

This last offering pains me to let go in a way I cannot explain, but I will try. This Simpson "Liquid Gold" Chubby 2 SiLVERTiP is by far my favorite handle I have ever owned. This a custom one off brush and the coloring is fantastic. Unfortunately, the knot is just not to my liking and would cost too much to replace. This brush was bought in June and has less than 10 shaves, so it is like new (dimensions 27 x 54). Retails new $350, I am asking $300 CONUS. It is a beauty.
IMG_6388.jpeg
IMG_6392.jpeg
IMG_6391.jpeg

IMG_6389.jpeg

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

It's Hedley

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Beautiful brush. If I understand it correctly Simpson call this grade of knot the Two Band Silver Tip Badger. I can't say I know exactly what that means as I've used only their Super and their Best, but it sounds like a two band to me, and it looks like a two band to me.

Obviously from the seller's comments it's not like a Shavemac D01 2 band silvertip, but what is? I wonder what two band knots it might be similar to? Maybe somewhat similar to a Shavemac 2 band (not D01), but I suspect softer from the seller's comments. Anybody able to clarify?

Beautiful brush in any case.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Beautiful brush. If I understand it correctly Simpson call this grade of knot the Two Band Silver Tip Badger. I can't say I know exactly what that means as I've used only their Super and their Best, but it sounds like a two band to me, and it looks like a two band to me.

Obviously from the seller's comments it's not like a Shavemac D01 2 band silvertip, but what is? I wonder what two band knots it might be similar to? Maybe somewhat similar to a Shavemac 2 band (not D01), but I suspect softer from the seller's comments. Anybody able to clarify?

Happy shaves,

Jim
Hi Jim,

I can only share my thoughts, but would welcome others. I have tried many Simpson and Shavemac brush knots, so I have a little experience with both.

This Simpson SiLVERTiP knot is much more dense than a Shavemac 2 band silvertip and thus has more backbone, but is not as stiff as the D01. Simpson SiLVERTiP in a Chubby 2 has to be dense to fill the space, but still has really soft tips and good backbone. It just lacks the scrub I really enjoy. Shavemac D01-2 Band has stiffer/thicker hair so it feels more scrubby, which I like. The standard Shavemac 2 band silvertip is a great knot and loved by many, but lacks the backbone and scrub that I enjoy. I have bought and sold 3 Shavemac 2 band silver tips wanting to love them, but just didn't.

A Simpson Manchurian has more scrub or feel at the tips similar to a Shavemac D01, but not as stiff. I like the Simpson Manchurian. If this handle had a Simpson Manchurian, I would keep it. The Simpson SiLVERTiP, as @Fawkes007 mentioned, sits between a Simpson Super and Simpson Manchurian. I would also say it has more backbone than the Simpson Best, but still has super soft tips.

With that being said, this SiLVERTiP is similar to my M&F Finest, dense, not too scrubby and has soft tips. A real top tier knot. The Simpson SiLVERTiP is not often offered in unique handles like this "Liquid Gold" Chubby 2, that much I am certain.

I hope this helps.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I concur with @It's Hedley, and would compare the SiLVERTiP favorably to the M&F Finest and Brad Sears Estate knots. I own all three. That said, I have never gotten on with Manchurian knots as I don’t like as much scrub as Hedley does. YMMV

I was monitoring the Simpson’s site for months for a Chubby 2 SiLVERTiP in a handle I wanted. They don’t drop these as often as their other lines, nor do they offer as many handle options. I would jump on this one if I were still in the market.

This thread is way too long. Final price drop to $250 CONUS.

I really want someone to own and love this brush. I will toss in a new tin of Simpson shaving soap and some blades as icing on the cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom