What's new

Simpson Commodore 2 or Duke 3? Which one or keep both?

New member here, but I'm a long time wet shaver. I face lather about 25% of the time, bowl lather for the other 75%. Almost always shave in the shower. I recently dropped my >10 year old Edwin Jagger Best Badger onto a tile floor and the handle shattered. It's the only brush I own. Time for a new one! I'm hoping to find one brush that can do it all for me! After looking over (ok, obsessing over) the options on Amazon, WCS, etc I decided on a Commodore X2 because it was reasonably priced and the specs are similar to my old Edwin Jagger, which was maybe not awesome, but perfectly fine. Then, after some more obsessing over the subject, I decided I better get a Best Badger Duke 3 as as well. I figured look them over and return the one of them via Amazon's free return policy. Waiting for delivery now and thinking which one to keep, or mabe I have to keep both... I'm hoping you folks can offer some advice.

I was afraid of that! Since the pandemic I’ve taken to shaving only once a week and I may just stick with this new routine—so, plenty of time to let a brush dry. I guess I’m asking which is the better all purpose brush, or is there another Simpson I should be considering?

I have a Commodore X2 in best and a Duke 3 in synthetic. They are both great brushes! I bowl lather and would give the Commodore a slight edge due to the handle design.

I have a Commodore X2 and a Duke 2, both in Best Badger. I really like them both and I exclusively face lather. The Duke (even in size 2) is a much more bulky than the Commodore. I'm guessing that you'll also like both, but that the Duke may be more appropriate for a bowl while the Commodore is IMHO, a perfect face latherer. I also have a Commodore X3 in Best and it's less dense than the Duke 2.

I’ve got the Commodore X2 and the Duke 2 both in Best. My Commodore knot is a lot scritchier than the Duke’s. But I do slightly prefer the X2 handle. Both are keepers for me, but if I were only going for one brush I think I’d choose the Duke

linty1

My wallet cries.
Well since you have both coming, try them both out and go from there, I read (not sure if its still true) that Simpsons hair varies from batch to batch anyways, so try them out and see which one you like "best" (excuse the pun).

Both. If you only have one brush, it stays wet, mould grows, it gives you an infection, you get sick and you could die. Having 2 brushes very well could save your life. 3 or more is recommended if you are a cautious person. 😜

Ok, maybe the staying wet thing is true and the rest is made up, but I highly recommend rotating 2-3 brushes. Even if you have one good Simpson and a couple of cheapies.

The X2 Best is the only Simpson I kept in my den after having used around ten.

It's the goldilocks Simpson for me!

I don’t have the Commodore, although I know people love them.

The Duke 3 may be the best brush Simpson has got. It would be hard to make a better brush than that one, IMO.

I say this as someone who owns six Simpson brushes.

Received the Commodore X2. Quite different from my old Edwin Jagger. Roughly the same size knot, but with almost 2x the amount of hair! Firmer than I'm used to, but I like it enough that I might return the Duke 3 unopened. Might.

Yeah, if you're using the commodore and thinking that you don't need any additional density, you might not need the duke. Duke is probably one of the more dense Simpsons out there. Chubby's are number one, and then depending on who you ask Duke, eagle, classic, Polo or tulip are supposed to be number two from what I hear.

Top Bottom