What's new

Simpson Colonel X2L Best Badger

Comments? Suggestions? Other recommendations?
I face lather exclusively, use soaps and creams about equally and am looking for a cost effective first real brush.

I just purchased mine from a member on here. What a FANTASTIC soaps brush. Did you also read the review on it in the reviews section? I recommend it as it is priced quite well and performs great!

the colonel is perhaps the best all-rounder i've found. equally adept with soaps and creams, it's well built and affordable.

a very very nice brush.

I bought a Duke 2 and the Colonel and I prefer the Colonel slightly because of the handle. It has more backbone than the Duke and has very soft tips but it is smaller. :thumbup:

My colonel is only about a month old and I'm still breaking it in. I bowl lather exclusively and will say that it performed amazingly well with soaps right out of the box. Creams are a different story all together though so far. The colonel literally swallows the lather unless you use a ton of product or want to spend your 2nd, 3rd and other passes squeezing lather out of the brush. I'm hoping as it breaks in it will start to perform better with creams but I am over all completely happy with this brush in every other way. The shape and weight feels great in the hand and the best badger hair is just amazing compared to other best badger hair I have used (Edwin Jagger and TGN).

I thought I knew what a dense brush was until I got the colonel and realized that I had never really seen a dense brush. The colonel is DENSE :thumbup1:

Thank you all.
I think this brush is the one for me. Good backbone, soft tips, smaller in size. I'll order one when I get back from work!

My colonel is only about a month old and I'm still breaking it in. I bowl lather exclusively and will say that it performed amazingly well with soaps right out of the box. Creams are a different story all together though so far. The colonel literally swallows the lather unless you use a ton of product or want to spend your 2nd, 3rd and other passes squeezing lather out of the brush.

Is there a better Simpson brush than the Colonel for creams? I've been looking at a Simpson in best to rotate with my Rooney 3/1 Super. I bowl lather with creams most of the time. I really don't mind using extra product since it's an excuse to buy more cream, but I'd rather avoid a lather hog.

My colonel is only about a month old and I'm still breaking it in. I bowl lather exclusively and will say that it performed amazingly well with soaps right out of the box. Creams are a different story all together though so far. The colonel literally swallows the lather unless you use a ton of product or want to spend your 2nd, 3rd and other passes squeezing lather out of the brush. I'm hoping as it breaks in it will start to perform better with creams but I am over all completely happy with this brush in every other way. The shape and weight feels great in the hand and the best badger hair is just amazing compared to other best badger hair I have used (Edwin Jagger and TGN).

I thought I knew what a dense brush was until I got the colonel and realized that I had never really seen a dense brush. The colonel is DENSE :thumbup1:

Hmmmmmm. I don't think I have seen my Colonel swallow the lather. I will pay closer attention next time. I think I only used an almond sized amount of cream. Then again, I have used my Colonel once.

Is there a better Simpson brush than the Colonel for creams? I've been looking at a Simpson in best to rotate with my Rooney 3/1 Super. I bowl lather with creams most of the time. I really don't mind using extra product since it's an excuse to buy more cream, but I'd rather avoid a lather hog.

According to this brush showdown the Milk Churn in Best won for creams I believe:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=167806

I am hoping that the Colonel starts to release the lather a little easier once it's broken in. I have no issue using soaps and it works fine with creams if I use double the amount of product. Just sharing my experience though, not trying to talk you out of getting this excellent brush.

Hmmmmmm. I don't think I have seen my Colonel swallow the lather. I will pay closer attention next time. I think I only used an almond sized amount of cream. Then again, I have used my Colonel once.

I have never had any other brush swallow cream before and always laughed when I read about it happening to other people because I couldn't relate. Again, this only happens to me with creams, no problem at all with soaps.

Thanks for your reply! I will check it again this weekend. Ha! I want to see if I have a hungry brush or not. Thank you for the sticker info. Mine is underneath the "Best Badger" and not the "Colonel". I may have to change that. We don't want to be incorrect, do we? LOL

Received my Colonel X2L on tuesday and have used it for the past 3 days with a cream and 2 soaps, and for the latter, absolutely adore it. I finally cracked MWF with it, after 4 weeks that I was unable to do with my EJ medium silvertip. Obvious reason of course! My first Simpson and definitely not my last. As a predominant soap user, can anyone suggest what I should buy next?

David

Top Bottom