What's new

Silvertip Shootout!! Bloodlust SR 3118 vs SR 3128

Anyone out there that might be able to compare this brush to the Rooney, size 1, style 1, Super ???
This is another brush that gets high praise.

LOL....many a moon ago when I got my first job analyzing things, I told my Mom..."Mom, I'm an Analyst now !!!". Of course, she crowed to all her Canasta Cronies that her son was some kind of Proctologist!!!

She may have been right as for the last few days I've been anal retentively gathering info on "my 1st Brush" candidates into a spreadsheet.

Like the previous poster am wondering about the SR 3118 vs Rooney s1/s1 Super. Both are in the same price range. Any informed opinions on this battle of the Smallies? How do they stack up mano-a-mano ???

The spreadsheet didn't paste into this 'frame" none 2 good so deleting it out...

LOL....many a moon ago when I got my first job analyzing things, I told my Mom..."Mom, I'm an Analyst now !!!". Of course, she crowed to all her Canasta Cronies that her son was some kind of Proctologist!!!

She may have been right as for the last few days I've been anal retentively gathering info on "my 1st Brush" candidates into a spreadsheet.

Like the previous poster am wondering about the SR 3118 vs Rooney s1/s1 Super. Both are in the same price range. Any informed opinions on this battle of the Smallies? How do they stack up mano-a-mano ???

The spreadsheet didn't paste into this 'frame" none 2 good so deleting it out...

IMO, the SR is a bit more prickly, but both are nice brushes if that does not bother you. I am very sensitive to prickliness in a brush, so the Rooney is more to my liking. They should be very similar in size, with the Rooney being a fan, and the SR a bulb. I believe the Rooney is slightly less expensive.

J

along with a couple of jars of goo (TOBS Avocado & Proraso Green) so the
experiment will be launched soon !!!

Am really looking forward to it & will post my impressions about the SR 3118 after a few shaves. Though coming from a newbie with no other brushes to cross compare, doubt if my "impressions" will be of much use (But I've really benefitted from B&B Forums & want to kick back)....

Will be using my current cartridge system for awhile until I've got the Badger Battering down & decide if I like it....

Am now trying to learn more about razors. Was thinking HD but then thinking VISION but after reading everything I can about the VISION am very worried about Quality Control issues so am inclining back toward the HD or maybe the 38C...:confused1 :ohmy: :confused1

3118... love it. I blame this thread ;)

I have the C&E best badger and a C&E travel brush and I was liking the smaller brush more and more. Too scritchy though. I stumbled across this thread a couple of months ago and got one about a month ago. I've been in love with this brush ever since.

I'm pretty much convinced that my next brush will be another 3118 for travel. If anybody is parting with theirs, look me up. :biggrin:

IMO, the SR is a bit more prickly, but both are nice brushes if that does not bother you. I am very sensitive to prickliness in a brush,...

J

I respectively disagree with the notion that SR brushes in Silvertip are prickly. My experience with my own SR is that it is one of the softest brushes that holds it own with soaps as well as creams. I too am sensitive towards prickly brushes, but the SR line in Silvertip is not one that I consider offensive in this regard.

Even with ample pressure, the SR Silvertip never offends wether its the first pass or the second pass.

-joedy

I respectively disagree with the notion that SR brushes in Silvertip are prickly. My experience with my own SR is that it is one of the softest brushes that holds it own with soaps as well as creams. I too am sensitive towards prickly brushes, but the SR line in Silvertip is not one that I consider offensive in this regard.

Even with ample pressure, the SR Silvertip never offends wether its the first pass or the second pass.

-joedy

To each his own -- I was using one of these smaller SR silvertips, which may have something to do with it. Were you perchance using a larger one? I can say that I've only used the one, the prickliness turned me off. It was not as prickly as say, the C&E best, but it was pricklier than my Rooney silvertip.

J

To each his own -- I was using one of these smaller SR silvertips, which may have something to do with it. Were you perchance using a larger one? I can say that I've only used the one, the prickliness turned me off. It was not as prickly as say, the C&E best, but it was pricklier than my Rooney silvertip.

J

As you say "To each his own," but I think you will find your assessment unique amongst users. Having tried the smallest and one of the larger of SR silver tips I can unequivocally state that there is no difference in hair quality, nor bundle density. Despite the differences in loft, they still have an appropriate height to knot width ratio maintaining their luxurious feel.

Which soap did you use?

I recently received a SR 3122 from Charles and after using it once, I'm firmly convinced not only of the wonderful quality of this brush, but of its performance in light of its price.

I debated long and hard about purchasing another Simpsons (I have a Major in best grade that is a wonderful brush, but just a little too small for everyday shaving.)

I ended up deciding on the SR series in large part from the photos that Ron posted in this thread. It had the handle style that I liked as well as being offered in a smallish (22mm) knot that is just perfect for my face.

One thing that often gets overlooked in these discussions about brushes is that the "light bulb" shape of the Saville Row head is a great feature that allows you to get the cream in those hard-to-reach spots without necessarily getting the cream everywhere else as well.

One thing is definitely certain.... the Saville Row brushes offer an excellent value in light of their propensity for excellent performances.

I expected to like the SR3122 before ordering it, yes, but I did not expect to be as impressed as I am with it after using it for only one shave.

It took so little soap to make way too much cream and the brush never got "floppy" while still being firm and offering soft tips at the same time. A tough act to pull off, but the SR brush does it with aplomb.

I highly recommend them and understand fully now why Ron is impressed with them.

-joedy

I'm waiting (anxiously) for my ebony 3318. I don't want to build it up too much in my mind, but after all the great reviews here, I think it's going to be a great addition to my shave den, and my first really nice brush.

Top Bottom