What's new

Silvertip Shootout!! Bloodlust SR 3118 vs SR 3128

Hi Kujo,
It fits my hand very well. Small but comfortable. Great in the latherbowl and smooth for the face. Only possible issue is that it makes so much lather that it gets my knuckles lathered too.:blushing:
I'll bring it to the COWSBC Breakfast this weekend! I wonder how it would work with grits?:a21:

Ron,

So what you are saying is that you really like this brush! Wow...who'd a thunk it! How does it compare to the new Floris?

Randy

guenron said:
I'll bring it to the COWSBC Breakfast this weekend! I wonder how it would work with grits?:a21:

Great, I'll need something to build a good buttery lather on my pancakes!:tongue:

rtaylor61 said:
Ron,

So what you are saying is that you really like this brush! Wow...who'd a thunk it! How does it compare to the new Floris?

Randy
Tomorrow (Sunday) we'll put in a comparison shot for you.

Joy upon joy. Today was Il Bambino and L'Occitane CADE day. After four excellent lathering, Il Bambino put forth more great lather for a back of the neck shave perfromed by SWMBO. Il Bambino passed this major test milestone, SWMBO APPROVAL, with flying colors! Quote from SWMBO, "This works nicely."
Look at it this way lads, when SBAD strikes and Il Bambino shows up in the days post, your reprise can be, "But dear, it's SWMBO APPROVED!"

Here's an overhead to show what I am guessing is the full bloom:

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry gents for the absence of pictures and analysis. This weekend was the COWSBC Annual SWMBO Luncheon and I had little time to do anything but enjoy the Savile Row 3118 for my AM Shave. I worked a tub of QED Sandalwood and another Intitut Karite de Paris lather respectively. As I am sure you expect, GREAT results with both.
For those of you who are not aware of the COWSBC, it is the Central Oklahoma Wet Shaving and Breakfast Club. Here in the Wet Shaving Mecca of the Mid west, Norman OK, it is the crowning jewel in the diadem of wetshaving.
After the gala luncheon with gift bags of toiletries for the ladies and two (cash) prize drawings, the lads repaired to the Imperial Shave Shack for a cologne and cream sniff in and an Il Bambino demonstration. I demo'ed Il Bambino on the audiences choice of media, L'Occitane CADE hardsoap. Not only were the lads pleased, but awestruck with the brushes ability to produce beautiful lather. Living up to its previous performance, Il Bambino effortlessly produced heaps and gobs of slick, wet, merengue-like lather. Great ergonomic design this handle!
If any of you reading have a desire to see a particular media used with the SR 3118, let me know. If it's in the shave shack inventory, I'll be glad to whip it and post the pix.

I purchased one of these little bad boys from QED and it arrived today. I just finished my first shave with it and I am impressed. Loads of lather and it has a great firm feel on the face, but still very soft and silky. Just a great brush. Charles at QED, just told me that they are now on a 2 week waiting list because over the last 3 week they have been inundated with orders. I can see why.

I highly recommend Il Bambino to anyone looking for a great brush, large or small. And since it is on the smaller size the price is much less, that always helps too.

guenron said:
Good to see folks refer to some of the older reference material.:smile:

Ron, this is a fantastic review. The Il Bambino, a great brush, and you did an outstanding review of this brush! :thumbup: More people need to look into this little guy. Another reason, is you get an outstanding brush for only $75, that's not too easy anymore.

ron, since you own both i'd really be interested in hearing what you think are the pros/cons of the 3118 vs the 3128. assuming that someone is not going to buy both, of course.

thanks

ron, since you own both i'd really be interested in hearing what you think are the pros/cons of the 3118 vs the 3128. assuming that someone is not going to buy both, of course.

thanks
Hi T or is that M?
I adore both brushes. My only regret is that I did not know that a 3130 and 3132 were around the corner for I would have ordered one either a 30 or 32. As a bit of background I ordered Il Bambino on a(n almost) dare. No regret there though.
Pros and cons? I like big brushes.. The '28 holds a great deal of water! It makes oodles (technical term for lottsa) thick, moist, hot lather. The '18 on the other hand, only holds a lot (versus a great deal) of water and thereby only makes an oodle of thick, moist, hot lather. No, I am not making fun of your query.. I'll make it simple.. I do four passes every morning of the week and either of these brushes is more than adequate for the task. The '28 stays warmer longer (as expected) and is capable of lathering the ol' visage more quickly..(I do not take advantage of this feature as I always like to linger with my lathering) It is also a bit more work to clean up than the '18. These items are trivial. If you are serious about these brushes and do not wish to buy both, compromise and get either a '24 or '26!:thumbup: Now that's a winning decision. Just by the bye, I have a 32mm knot Kent and a teeny (smaller tan 18mm) Truefitt Super badger among my brushes.. So, go for the gusto! (Whatever that is?:001_rolle )

thanks, ron. it's 3, btw. gotcha on the oodles -- or was that boodles? good lowdown on the showdown. solid! i'm there.

I recently received a SR 3122 from Charles and after using it once, I'm firmly convinced not only of the wonderful quality of this brush, but of its performance in light of its price.

I debated long and hard about purchasing another Simpsons (I have a Major in best grade that is a wonderful brush, but just a little too small for everyday shaving.)

I ended up deciding on the SR series in large part from the photos that Ron posted in this thread. It had the handle style that I liked as well as being offered in a smallish (22mm) knot that is just perfect for my face.

One thing that often gets overlooked in these discussions about brushes is that the "light bulb" shape of the Saville Row head is a great feature that allows you to get the cream in those hard-to-reach spots without necessarily getting the cream everywhere else as well.

One thing is definitely certain.... the Saville Row brushes offer an excellent value in light of their propensity for excellent performances.

I expected to like the SR3122 before ordering it, yes, but I did not expect to be as impressed as I am with it after using it for only one shave.

It took so little soap to make way too much cream and the brush never got "floppy" while still being firm and offering soft tips at the same time. A tough act to pull off, but the SR brush does it with aplomb.

I highly recommend them and understand fully now why Ron is impressed with them.

-joedy

Joy upon joy. Today was Il Bambino and L'Occitane CADE day. After four excellent lathering, Il Bambino put forth more great lather for a back of the neck shave perfromed by SWMBO. Il Bambino passed this major test milestone, SWMBO APPROVAL, with flying colors! Quote from SWMBO, "This works nicely."
Look at it this way lads, when SBAD strikes and Il Bambino shows up in the days post, your reprise can be, "But dear, it's SWMBO APPROVED!"

Here's an overhead to show what I am guessing is the full bloom:

full

What is the bristle height of the SR 3118? The handle length?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry gents for the absence of pictures and analysis. This weekend was the COWSBC Annual SWMBO Luncheon and I had little time to do anything but enjoy the Savile Row 3118 for my AM Shave. I worked a tub of QED Sandalwood and another Intitut Karite de Paris lather respectively. As I am sure you expect, GREAT results with both.
For those of you who are not aware of the COWSBC, it is the Central Oklahoma Wet Shaving and Breakfast Club. Here in the Wet Shaving Mecca of the Mid west, Norman OK, it is the crowning jewel in the diadem of wetshaving.
After the gala luncheon with gift bags of toiletries for the ladies and two (cash) prize drawings, the lads repaired to the Imperial Shave Shack for a cologne and cream sniff in and an Il Bambino demonstration. I demo'ed Il Bambino on the audiences choice of media, L'Occitane CADE hardsoap. Not only were the lads pleased, but awestruck with the brushes ability to produce beautiful lather. Living up to its previous performance, Il Bambino effortlessly produced heaps and gobs of slick, wet, merengue-like lather. Great ergonomic design this handle!
If any of you reading have a desire to see a particular media used with the SR 3118, let me know. If it's in the shave shack inventory, I'll be glad to whip it and post the pix.

Ron,
So far, this brush sounds really good! I have been in the market for a new brush, but looking for something that is not so floppy! I am currently using a Vulfix 2234 and frankly, I do not like this brush because it is just too floppy.
I would like something a little stiffer so that it will work with hard soaps as well as creams. I also like something stiff enough to feel the lather to my face.
How does this brush hold up with my needs?

Thanks for the great review.

Mike

Ron,
So far, this brush sounds really good! I have been in the market for a new brush, but looking for something that is not so floppy! I am currently using a Vulfix 2234 and frankly, I do not like this brush because it is just too floppy.
I would like something a little stiffer so that it will work with hard soaps as well as creams. I also like something stiff enough to feel the lather to my face.
How does this brush hold up with my needs?

Thanks for the great review.

Mike

Mike,
Based upon my experience with the 3118 and its BIG Brother, the 3128, you should have no problem with the resilience of the hair. I prefer that term to stiff. It's an issue of giving versus giving up. I have a Vulfix #41, and yes it is not very resilient. While I use it occasionally, it is not in the inner circle of go to brushes. On the other hand, the 3118 seems to get more than its fair share of use. Great with soaps and creams, luxury and performance that won't set you back a fortune. It gives the ol' visage a good workout. :thumbup:

I am so glad that you reviewed the 3118, Ron. It has to be, by leaps and bounds, my favorite brush in the shave den. This should be no secret to anyone that looks at my SOTD posts. :biggrin:

I also own the Vulfix 2234. The 3118 cleans the 2234's clock and I think you would be very happy with it. Although I have no other experience with this line, the SR silvertips are available in 2mm increments to at least 28mm, so if 18mm seems a bit small, you can always try 20 or 22, etc... I personally have become a huge fan of the smaller brush and would not want it any bigger.

Dennis

Top Bottom