What's new

Silicone sleeve changing blade color

I just recieved my silicone sleeve and after a day in the sleeve the etching on my blade turned from White to dark gray. Is this normal?

I always keep my razors in silicone sleeves, and haven't had that problem. However, sometimes when taken out of the sleeve, a little residual silicon is on the exposed part of the blade, near the spine, and wipes off easily, but it has never changed the etching to a different color.

Would a drop of mineral oil discolor it in the same manner?

This is my first straight edge, so I have no idea what mineral oil would do. Sorry. I will try to get a picture tonight. It like a smokey gray, almost the color of the sleeve. It reminds me of the residue you get when you hold metal over a lighter or candle.

I always keep my razors in silicone sleeves, and haven't had that problem. However, sometimes when taken out of the sleeve, a little residual silicon is on the exposed part of the blade, near the spine, and wipes off easily, but it has never changed the etching to a different color.

This did not wipe off easily. Since I am just learning I only shaved my cheeks, and did not get much lather on the etching.

Got an image?

I have had terrible time getting an image that clearly shows what I am taking about. The first two are what it looks like now. The last of what it looked like when I got it. The silver white etching turned a flat smokey matt color.

Attachments

• IMG_20191104_214150424.jpg
    IMG_20191104_214150424.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20191104_214055713.jpg
    IMG_20191104_214055713.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20190907_002501453.jpg
    IMG_20190907_002501453.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 23

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I’m not seeing much difference. The sleeves just have silicone oil in them, and you can remove it just by washing it with soap and water. Have you tried that? I’ve never seen any permanent change to metal using silicone sleeves.

Top Bottom