What's new

Showing appreciation

Hello everyone I know I have read a lot on B&B since I have joined and I have been asking a few questions from time to time and I just wanted to say thank you to everyone one. I also want you guys to know a fellow member and I have been in contact. He has been very helpful and is very kind. He is a very thorough individual that reads my messages and provides me with the information in a well thought out and detailed manner. I recently have received a PIF from him and I am wanting to show him some appreciation. I asked his permission to show an e-mail he sent me explaining all the things that he had sent me and why and what he like and what he didn't like. He truly is a excellent representation of B&B and it makes me proud of how well of a community this is. Not because of me receiving a PIF but because he offered out of the kindness in his heart. He also first helped me pick out a quality razor and explained to my why in a thread I first posted. Thread as follows:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/442578-Help-me-pick-out-some-quality-gear!

He explained to me the benefits of buying the ATT Kronos and why he recommends it. Yes I understand that not everyone will like that razor but for being new to DE shaving I love that thing. Its not aggressive and is and excellent slant razor. It might have killed my RAD before it even started! I asked this kind gentlemen if he was ok with me re-posting a PM that he sent me and he agreed and said the emails he sends me are mine to do what I want with. I asked his permission out of respect for him and I also asked because I wanted to enter him into the sniper team misses target subsequent pif thread.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...r-Team-Misses-Target-amp-Subsequent-PIF/page5

His response to that is as follows: "As far as the recognition in the PIF thread goes I appreciate the thought but it's totally unnecessary. I don't really care about that at all. I do a lot of PIF type stuff but most of it is of the silent type for this reason. You're thanks and kind words in this email are more than enough. Once in a while I do a public PIF but it's more fun for me to find someone myself that I think would benefit. You can do what you want with the emails but the satisfaction I get is from helping you out."

Now for his e-mail explaining his PIF to me because he wanted to help me start my collection!

Chris,
I don't mind telling you what I remember I put in there.

RazoRock One X - This is a very good performing soap with a very slight bit of Menthol to it. It's kind of a citrus type scent but is's actually based on one of the AdP scents. I like the soap well enough to finish a tub but the scent is faint and I like others better so you got my second tub of it. This one uses the newer RazoRock soap formula. I think you'll like it.

Arko - I had a stick laying around so you got it. It's an excellent performing soap with a cheap lemon scent. It has quite a following and some guys here use nothing but Arko. It's very inexpensive which is a motivation for some but it's an outstanding performer. Really great soap and a must try product. I have a stick that I smashed into a tub and it makes my soap rotation. There are many threads about Arko so you need to try it.

Palmolive stick - These are nice as well. A very good performing soap that has an Irish Spring type of scent to it. I do like this one. Keep in mind that you can smash (or grate and press) the shave stick into bowls or use them as sticks. The Palmolive one is a tallow based soap that gives a great shave. Someone sent me this one and I already have a stick that I grated and pressed into a tub so you get it. It's a very good quality soap.

AOS Lemon - I remembered that you liked citrus type scents and this is a great performing cream. Really good stuff with a nice Lemon scent to it. AOS gets a reputation as being overpriced but I do like their soaps and creams. I feel the soaps are an excellent value especially when you consider how long they last. If you sign up for their email list they will send you 20% off coupons twice a year.

QCS Green Irish Tweed sample - Green Irish Tweed is a Creed fragrance that's very similar to Davidoff Cool Water. This is apparently their take on it. I've never tried this particular soap so I'll look forward to your opinion of it. I have used QCS soaps before and they perform very well.

Mikes Pine and Cedarwood - Mike's makes a very good performing soap with some great scents. I really like their Orange Cedarwood and Black Pepper one as well as their Barbershop. I've never tried the one I send you but it smelled nice to me in the package. Another great performer.

Stirling - I don't remember what scent you got maybe Frozen Tundra. Stirling makes some nice soaps that I usually recommend to people starting out along with Mike's. They are inexpensive and offer large sized samples. This stuff is very slick when lathered but the lather is a bit different that the thick fluffy stuff that you get from other soaps. More of a denser later that's very protective. Some people have described it as slicker than snot on a doorknob if that gives you any idea. I use some of the Stirling menthol soaps in the summer and every time I use them I wonder why I don't use them more often.

Osage Rub - a nice menthol aftershave that you can use by itself of before using a balm. You should be following your shaves with a balm at this point but maybe you can try these aftershave splashes, let them dry then follow them with an unscented balm. I like the Neutrogema ones that you can get at the local WalMart for around six bucks. The Osage Rub has a nice face cooling effect that goes well with the green Proraso that you are using. I like the face chill myself despite the slight medicinal scent that it has. I use this one a lot in the summertime here in Arizona.

Fine Italian Citrus - This is a nice Citrus aftershave that would pair nicely with the AOS lemon, Arko, or likely even the One X. They make one called Fine Platinum that is supposed to be a Creed Aventus style scent. I have a very small sample that someone sent me and I enjoy it. The problem with the Fine Aftershaves is that they are always sold out.

Pinaud Clubman - a traditional barbershop scent. I like it but don't love it probably because it's so strong. I think you can dilute this one with some water or witchhazel. It'll tone it down a bit and make it quite nice. Some really like this one so I thought you should give it a try. I sent some to another friend here and he loves the stuff, it's his favorite now. I sent it to you because it's one of those shaving items that's a must try.

L'Occitane Cade Aftershave balm sample - a little of this goes a long way. Using too much will make it feel like you have a thick layer of it on your face, so use only a little. It's a very good aftershave balm that I enjoy. I have a full bottle of it so you got the sample I had.

The Whipped Dog brush - I think you'll like the brush, especially if all you've used is a VdH brush so far. It's nice and may or may not be your end all brush but it will give you an understanding of the differences between a boar and a badger brush. You'll come across some guys here that are really fond of their boar brushes. Do know that a boar brush will soften up nicely when the ends split after about a month of use but it will never be anywhere near as soft as a silvertip badger brush.

Blades - lots of blades here, some are outstanding and some are about average. I don't believe I sent you any really bad ones. I sent these so that you can put them aside and try then once you've been at this for a few more months and have it completely mastered. Please do resist trying them as my goal was to save you from having to buy a sampler pack down the road.

I don't remember what else is in there so let me know if I missed anything. The box is pretty full so I couldn't get much else in it. I hope you enjoy the items, if nothing else you have some more soaps to use that are all better then the VdH one, a pretty nice brush and some blades to try. If you find the VdH soap is ultimately not for you then consider retiring it to be used for showering, it's still soap and will work well for that instead of just throwing it out like many do.

Gotta go. Please do let me know when you get the box as well as what you find you like and don't like in it. I understand that everyone doesn't like the same things and that some things that I like you won't and vise versa.

The stuff I sent you aren't my absolute favorites but more of a den cleaning on my part to expand your shave den and give you a few more quality options to choose from. They are all items that are considered to be very good and things I would definitely use myself, so no garbage stuff was sent your way. I'll send you some small samples of some of my favorite items in another package later on.

I do prefer honest opinions so if you don't like some of the items just say so and you can put them aside to PIF to someone else later on. You just can't sell anything that anyone gives you here is pretty much the only PIF rule.

Talk to you later,
David

So if you have made it this far then you will understand I why I want to show some appreciation. WOW that is a detailed and well thought out email. Now as for the PIF which it includes everything in the email.

proxy.php
[/URL][/IMG]

THANK YOU DAVID (dfoulk) for been so kind and thank you for being a true friend. This is why I like B&B is because people truly are kind. If you have read all of this thread then please show some appreciation. Thank You everyone for helping in my new adventures of DE shaving.

Wow…. all I can say is… Congrats, Chris, and a massive congratulations goes out to David for his generosity and thoughtfulness here. Well done, sir!

<queue the moving picture of leonardo clapping&#8230;. I know somebody has to have it>

David has shown me some kindness as well.
Enjoy the items and someday when the time is right give as was given to you.

Congratulations.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I have personally benifited from David's (dfoulk) generosity; He worked on a Rubberset 400 brush that I couldn't take apart. He certainly is an exemplary B&B member!

Very cool! That's an awesome PIF you got there. Part of why this forum is just outstanding, the friendships and cooperation make it a cut above most other forums. Kudos to the Gifter! :thumbup:

Chris,
I'm honored that you went through the trouble of writing this. It's completely unnecessary but know that I do appreciate it.
I'm happy that you're enjoying it here and that I'm able to help you out. This place is full of kind helpful people. I've sent out a lot of PIF's in the past and I'm ashamed to admit I've forgotten many of them, the ones I really remember are that ones that the person is truly thankful for. I get a lot of joy in giving a gift that is truly appreciated. Yours is one that stands out for that reason so definitely thank you for that.

I'm grateful for the friends I have here and thankful for everyone's kind words.

Thank you,
David

Wow very nice of him.

I agree I have a great friend from here that has been very kind and generous to my wife and I, and has sent us many things that I could have never dreamed of trying or owning. He knows who he is so I won't mention him, but he does know we greatly appreciate his friendship. This is a great group of guys that I'm proud to be part of.

Awesome!. Dfoulk has been more than gracious to me as well. He recently honed my GD and sent me a bunch of soap samples to try. I am now in the process of learning how to straight shave from that Gold Dollar.

I'm another recipient of David's generosity, presently enjoying some tubs of RazoRock soap that he PIF'd to me. Equally important, though, is all of the great knowledge that David shares with the rest of us. He has an incredible amount of product knowledge. David is truly a class act and a great example of what makes B&B so great! It's nice to see him getting recognition here! [emoji106]

I would like to say thank you to everyone for being so kind. This is what this forum is truly about. Kindness and being able to talk about what we all have come to enjoy. Since joining this forum I have learned a saying but have yet to use it. YMMV (your mileage may very). That is what I like about this forum. Everyone says what they have found that they enjoy and or works. For a young man just starting off it helps having a community to help my enter into my journey and weed out some of the things that might help me find what I may like from that start instead of having to weed through it myself as a lot of you guys have already done so. Also I have seen some pass around box threads that I would like to one day enter as to further my journey and knowledge before committing to buying something that I may not like. So B&B and everyone that makes B&B stand out from every other forum I have been on THANK YOU. God Bless.

Top Bottom