What's new

Show us your daily driver

Legion

Staff member
I know many (most) of you have collections of razors, and cycle through them in some sort of rotation.

But who here has one razor that tends to be their primary daily driver? Either because it is your only one :ohmy: or whatever other reason.

My daily driver has changed a number of times over the years, but I do usually have one go to razor that lives out of storage, and is the razor I use daily, unless I am testing one of the others after restoration or honing. It is also the razor I use for testing new finishing stones, for the sake of consistency.

Right now that razor is a Bengall, with a fairly standard 6/8 blade, but with original ivory scales, which is quite rare for Bengall. I only have two in ivory, and the other is near NOS, so this one gets all the use.

So, what's yours and why?

IMG_7529.jpeg

Heljestrand mk 4. Takes a great edge and I love the shape/size of the razor. The one I have has been getting abused for awhile though with fun honing so will be trying to find a replacement in the future (I do have a NOS but want to leave it alone). I have a lot of others that could be daily drivers but would feel bad honing them all the time (when I have the honing itch).

I have a thiers issard/le grelot c135 razor coming in that might be the new daily. Haven't tried the steel yet but hoping I like it as there are plenty of them out there.

It doesn't really qualify as "daily", but if there is one razor that is constantly in the weeks rotation, it is this one:

full

I love everything about it: the heft, the grind, the fact that it takes and holds a lovely, smooth edge. And, to my eyes, it is quite the looker as well. Can't wait for my second one to arrive from Ulrik later this year... :p

Like @Legion I’ve found myself gravitating towards the Bengall / Charnely combo. I’ve picked up a few of these razors over the years. Enough for two seven-day sets plus a few spares. They were all bought for $50 AUD or under and all arrived in various states of disrepair. They all have excellent geometry, take a sweet edge and feel nice in the hand. I’ve saved them from the scrap heap and have plenty of spares so I don’t feel bad about putting some wear on them. For me, the Bengall is a relaxed and effective daily driver. As I reach the ‘just shaving’ stage of my SR journey, the Bengalls are getting a lot more use than my expensive razors.

IMG_0855.jpeg

Last edited:
SRAD hit hard... and fast. I drove, daily, what I believe was a Gold Dollar, beautifully honed by @steveclarkus and given to me by Twelvefret. Bu only until a series of new, low end Solingen 5/8s arrived, followed by innumerable vintage store razor rescues, some interesting BST acquisitions, and the arrival of my most favored razors:
IMG_5129.jpeg

By no means daily, but every time I choose an SR for a shave I make an attempt to push myself away from picking up one of my eight 6/8 razors by Ertan Süer. Life is a beautiful, amusing dream.

Top Bottom