What's new

Should I replate this razor ?

I have recently bought two Slims. One is in a somewhat decent shape. Some dull spots on the doors but otherwise nice and clean. The second one is pretty worn but appears to be fine mechanically. Both seem to be shaving about the same.

I want to get one of them replated. Perhaps both. The one with worn finish seems like the best candidate, but the dial numbers are stamped slightly off the mark. It's mainly noticeable when setting it to "dots". I contacted Chris at BRG and he says it's a fairly common manufacturing "oops" that he can't fix because there are internal grooves cut in the dial.

So, is this worth replating, in your opinion ?

Attachments

• IMG_3880.jpeg
    IMG_3880.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
If it isn't bothering you shaving with it then why would it bother you shaving with it re-plated?

But the anwser to your question is definitely a personal, 'if it bothers you' one.

Worth repeating, is ok, if it not a budget killer. Replacing & restoration is a good investment.

More Photos could help with advice.
Here they are.

I don’t mind doing both razors, just not sure if the off center digits would be a problem if I ever decide to sell or trade it. I don’t have much experience with the vintage razor crowd, I literally just bought my first vintage Gillette two months ago.

IMG_3886.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3888.jpeg
    IMG_3888.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3884.jpeg
    IMG_3884.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
Happy Birthday...enjoy your renewed razors in good health.

FWIW, I recently scored a New Long and New Short comb based upon a rec from a fellow B&B'er. The finish on these has been worked a bit by the respective sellers. I thought about sending these off to be replated and the more I looked them over and have used them I'm really quite happy with the somewhat "untouched" look. Neither was in bad shape to begin with near as I can assess from the condition the base metals. I rather dig the fact these are more than likely from the late 30s and am quite happy to be using something that has seen some life, so-to-speak. These are also the two best razors I've shaved with thus far and have landed in the spot of my "forever" razors, kicking out the two Techs I have.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Happy Birthday...enjoy your renewed razors in good health.

FWIW, I recently scored a New Long and New Short comb based upon a rec from a fellow B&B'er. The finish on these has been worked a bit by the respective sellers. I thought about sending these off to be replated and the more I looked them over and have used them I'm really quite happy with the somewhat "untouched" look. Neither was in bad shape to begin with near as I can assess from the condition the base metals. I rather dig the fact these are more than likely from the late 30s and am quite happy to be using something that has seen some life, so-to-speak. These are also the two best razors I've shaved with thus far and have landed in the spot of my "forever" razors, kicking out the two Techs I have.
I just bought a Canada NEW Regent Long Comb and a NEW short comb.... I've only shaved with each of them once, but I was impressed. I'm still a complete novice when it comes to Vintage razors. I only have a few but thanks to B&B, all of them provide wonderful shaves.

I could have left them in their natural state but I did send both Gillettes out for a 24K hardened gold face lift @ Back Roads Gold. Chris told me, the Canada Regent is the first one he's had in his shop... after re-plating over 10,000 razors. I feel honored to have one.

I just bought a Canada NEW Regent Long Comb and a NEW short comb.... I've only shaved with each of them once, but I was impressed. I'm still a complete novice when it comes to Vintage razors. I only have a few but thanks to B&B, all of them provide wonderful shaves.

I could have left them in their natural state but I did send both Gillettes out for a 24K hardened gold face lift @ Back Roads Gold. Chris told me, the Canada Regent is the first one he's had in his shop... after re-plating over 10,000 razors. I feel honored to have one.
Okay, that is way cool feedback and a bit of a geeky first to be sure: all for it. Congrats! I wasn't aware there was a Canadian version, would you mind posting pics of this razor?

If it was me, I'd leave it but I'm cheap.

A toothbrush, soap and water. Then some Q-tips and Maas. I'm guessing it would bring it back to almost factory fresh.
Well, I was wrong earlier.

You can polish TTO doors on post-war Gillettes.

My experience was based on gently trying to polish a pre-war Tech which as I found had pretty thin nickel layer. I didn't take it off to the brass, but I was able to see lines in metal under a strong light. Ans that's with gentle hand polishing.

But the TTO nickel layer on later Gillettes appears to be very hard and thick. So even with a Dremel, I was able to polish them without going through to brass. Now, we're not talking top speed and automotive-grade abrasive compound, I was using silver polish with a felt tip at speeds at setting 15 or less. No mirror finish, but it did take off most if not all of "cloudiness" and water stains on my old razors. So, you were right in this respect. Obviously the deeper scratches and pinpoint chips didn't go anywhere, I was not adventurous enough to destroy a good razor to see how far I can take this.

That said, the Slims are getting replated ;)

Thanks. I decided to do both. A birthday present for myself.

I was just about to say the obvious answer to me would be to have the one in the worse condition replated and then see how I like it.
In the past, when I collected vintage Gillettes for a while, I always decided ultimately against replating, but mine were in a better condition above one.

From a user perspective, a replated razor looks nicer, from a collector’s perspective a replated razor loses value.

B.

I was just about to say the obvious answer to me would be to have the one in the worse condition replated and then see how I like it.
In the past, when I collected vintage Gillettes for a while, I always decided ultimately against replating, but mine were in a better condition above one.

From a user perspective, a replated razor looks nicer, from a collector’s perspective a replated razor loses value.

B.

I see that less as a collectible (way too common for that) and more as vintage car restoration. I want it to contain all original parts but be as nice and shiny as possible. A 1932 Studebaker with a coat of modern paint and clear coat is still a ‘32 Stud. Just a very good looking one.

I may send him some of my Canadian Gillette's at some point but I may be able to get it done locally so we shall see, either way it will get done by Christmas.

And again I would also love to see a pic when re-plated.

Top Bottom