What's new

Should I buy these?

I hesitate to even ask this, but I ran across these and can't stop thinking about them. It's a 2 razor set of ERN "Little Dorrit" with the original case. They look like 4/8 blades and appear to be NOS. On the back side of the tang is the Eagle and Snake. Although the price is well below what I think they are worth, they're almost out of my comfort zone. Is there a reason why I shouldn't go back and get them? Sorry for the bad picture, I guess I was a little shaky.

2019-02-19 18.23.56.jpg

the pic isn't great, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt. looking at that stabilizer going all the way down to the heel, and the grind profile itself, it looks to me like they got a serious size reduction from probably 5-6/8 down to a 4/8 via breadknifing. is there etching on the blade that's not centered, but down too close to the edge?

I've got a couple, but I'm not a fan of 4/8s in general. they require more attention to technique than bigger blades for a comfortable shave. and mine were built as 4/8s.

not sure what you saw with your eyes, but I'd likely pass regardless of price, even though boxed sets are cool.

the pic isn't great, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt. looking at that stabilizer going all the way down to the heel, and the grind profile itself, it looks to me like they got a serious size reduction from probably 5-6/8 down to a 4/8 via breadknifing. is there etching on the blade that's not centered, but down too close to the edge?

I've got a couple, but I'm not a fan of 4/8s in general. they require more attention to technique than bigger blades for a comfortable shave. and mine were built as 4/8s.

not sure what you saw with your eyes, but I'd likely pass regardless of price, even though boxed sets are cool.

Thanks for your reply. The picture is very bad, normally I take pretty good pictures. I think for some reason it was focusing on the razors on the shelf below. I see what you are saying, but I believe the picture is deceiving. The blades do look different than the 4/8 that I have, they look like they have a deeper grind and thinner. I'm hoping that someone that has or has seen a "Little Dorrit" will chime in. I'm certainly no expert, I've only been at this for a couple of month or so, but they look exactly the same and they don't look like they've ever been used to me. Maybe I'll stop in tomorrow and take another picture if I get a chance. Thanks again for your reply.

i was going to say the same thing based on the heel and graphic.

take a look at a variety of 4/8s and see what the heels and graphics look like. they should be similar.

but if you like them, that’s all that matters.

3/4= 6/8. that'd be a definitive hard pass for me. but like Global_dev says, you're the one that gets to live with 'em.

and here's why you should also pass, the geometry of the blade angle is off if the spine is free of honewear. those blades have lost 1/4" or so of blade without a matching degree of spine thinning occurring. you'll also want to relieve the stabilizers further up the blade so that you don't hang them up or ride them on a hone and take more material out of the toe as you hone.

Plus One on what Matt said . Nope Looks like they have been honed to death .Not even sure if they would shave properly with so much metal missing .

i was going to say the same thing based on the heel and graphic.

take a look at a variety of 4/8s and see what the heels and graphics look like. they should be similar.

but if you like them, that’s all that matters.

If it were me, nope! It looks like they’ve been honed up to the stabilizer. Good luck!

Plus One on what Matt said . Nope Looks like they have been honed to death .Not even sure if they would shave properly with so much metal missing .

Here's a better picture. I've decided not to buy these, I probably wouldn't have even with positive replies. I'm curious though, with better picture are your thoughts still the same? I'm trying to learn what to stay away from and why. Thanks for your help.

The pictures are still a little fuzzy because I took it through the glass.
Screenshot_20190221-170038_Gallery.jpg

unfortunately the original were clear to make the call. they can be fixed, but it’s probably not worth it unless they were donated to you.

Yeah, that confirms my last statement. They could be made to work, but there are much better options at discount prices, much less at a premium price.

Mike stay well clear of them as been posted by lots of members. look at the name on the blade see how close it is to the edge. Now this blade has pitting but look at the name, see how far it is away from the edge...

little dorit .jpg

Here's a better picture. I've decided not to buy these, I probably wouldn't have even with positive replies. I'm curious though, with better picture are your thoughts still the same? I'm trying to learn what to stay away from and why. Thanks for your help.

The pictures are still a little fuzzy because I took it through the glass.
View attachment 955296
temp.jpg

Using this as an example. Notice how the etching is roughly centered. That is how etching is always done. Centered. The closer to the edge, the more it has been honed. It also detracts from the aesthetics of the SR.

The boxed in area is the stabilizer. It makes honing difficult, because it is in the way. The area below it eases that difficulty. Yours had no space there at all. It would be hard to hone without removing some of the stabilizer.

Thanks guys, the location of the name is what originally looked odd but to me they didn't look worn out like some I've seen. Thanks for steering in the right direction.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I love covered tangs. And if I saw those razors going for $20 on Fleabay I would snipe them right up. I would of course do a bit of modding on them, though.

Top Bottom