What's new

Short rant - Granite composite sink disappointment in new kitchen.

A few months ago the other half and I remodeled and upgraded our kitchen from top to bottom. One of the things that was changed was the sink. Against my judgement (read as "to keep the other half happy"), we decided to go with a granite composite sink, which, of course, is of a custom size and design.

Fast forward to today, and I can say, without a doubt, that sink is a nightmare. Every single piece of glassware, porcelain or stoneware that comes within six inches of touching it breaks, chips or just shatters out of pure fear.

Seriously, in the 30+ years I've been cooking and using stainless sinks I don't think I've had more than a dozen or so broken items. Compare that to less than four months with the granite composite sink and no less than a dozen various glasses, six or eight chipped plates and at least three bowls being ruined.

I realized that the granite would be less forgiving than stainless, but this is of an entirely different level.

Not happy at all.

This is good to know. Stainless and porcelain do not seem to have that problem. I can foresee a lot of plastic bowls and cups in your future.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
It's good to hear something has trashed as many glasses my wife and I have broken over the years.

...and the sink had nothing to do with it.

This is good to know. Stainless and porcelain do not seem to have that problem. I can foresee a lot of plastic bowls and cups in your future.

You're right about both stainless not having this problem AND about the plastic stuff.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
You can get a mat that can be cut to fit the bottom of the sink. It won't completely solve your problem but it will cushion the bottom of the sink.

My wife and I miss the stainless sink we had for 25 years. We hate the composite junk the prior owner of our current house put in when he upgraded the kitchen and we can't find a stainless that fits.

I put a giant stainless sink in my new kitchen, and I have one of those "Surpahs Over the Sink Multipurpose Roll-Up Dish Drying Rack" things in the bottom. Prevents scratches, and I can pull it out, turn it 90 degrees, and place it over the sink for drying stuff. If your sink is big enough, this could be something to consider.

You can get a mat that can be cut to fit the bottom of the sink. It won't completely solve your problem but it will cushion the bottom of the sink.

We've already got mat in the bottom now, and it has helped, but when anything breakable touches the granite - it's goodbye to it.

Rock is very unforgiving. We put in a "granite" composite sink a couple years ago, stains real bad, a pain to keep looking clean.

My wife and I miss the stainless sink we had for 25 years. We hate the composite junk the prior owner of our current house put in when he upgraded the kitchen and we can't find a stainless that fits.

We just remodeled out kitchen, and of course, our sink is custom sized. Can't find a stainless version to fit or I would have already ripped the granite one out and replaced it.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
We just remodeled out kitchen, and of course, our sink is custom sized. Can't find a stainless version to fit or I would have already ripped the granite one out and replaced it.

What size would you need as a replacement stainless steel sink?

Thanks guys for this info! It will definitely come in handy. The last thing I need is something to enable the wife to break even more dishes.

That's a large sink. I see 40" sinks on the internet, usually in a triple bowl configuration. I picture of yours would help.

Yeah. The original sink was a large single basin commercial type. The new one has two bowls...one large side for big pots and a smaller side that is basically a service/utility sink. I'll try to grab a pic later today.

I kinda like Melamine.
Me too.
It seems most appropriate for a mid-century Ranch house.
I can get all nostalgic over some of the patterns, like the "cracked ice" patterns
proxy.php

Top Bottom