What's new

Shop Trick #619

I use this stuff all the time, especially when I am grinding on my burr king and don't want to use gloves. This stuff will not prevent injuries, but it sure helps with the knuckle shredders that sandpaper can cause.

You just roll it as thick as you want around whatever finger you want... just not too tightly. When I am finishing up the hollow grind of my razors, I have a very bad habit of grinding through the calloused skin to make them bleed. I confuse a bit of heat for skin removal sometimes. It really can become an inconvenience.

So, if you have decided to restore more than 5 razors for the year, this stuff might just be the ticket for you. You do have to keep it from drying out. I keep mine in a sealed container. I have had this stuff as long as 3 years and add a half teaspoon of water to the container every 6 months or so. You can buy it here. If you find it elsewhere for less, be sure to clue us all in.

Carvers tape is great stuff. I never thought to use it when grinding a blade but I always use it when I am doing any chip carving. Thanks for yet another fine tip Bill.

The linked prices are pretty good, but if you'd prefer to buy locally, you can get similar tape (I think it is the same actually, just different sizes) at veterinarian supply shops and stables. It is often used to wrap up horses (and even other animal's) legs without using sticky tack/glue or anything else. I used to use this finger tape all the time when I regularly did archery. I found I could buy it locally for a little cheaper from a horse/stables supply shop. The rolls there were also wider too, which I preferred. Seeing this brings back memories.

edit: here's a link to what I was talking about, http://www.horse.com/3M-4-Vetrap-Bandage-Tape-BHV50.html

Last edited:
Top Bottom