What's new

Shocking P74 Haul!!!

This auction caught my attention:
proxy.php

In particular, the upper left pack of Wilkinsons appeared to be on a trimmed "Light Brigade" card, and never having tried "The Blade" of legend, I tossed a nice little opening bid. I like vintage Wilkies, after all, so that little stack of them looked like a good get to me. The Tomac blades appeared to have mild curio value, and I'm a huge fan of current Personna Med blades, so I found the vintage stainless box intriguing, too.Then I left town for the week. A couple of bidders nibbled a little, but my initial bid held, and I won the lot for $20 and change, shipped. I got home last night and started unwrapping the package. Sure enough, I've got some Light Brigades now...but on further examination it was the Personnas that took my breath away.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

As I pulled open the glue on the slick cardstock envelope, I encountered the BIG REVEAL:
proxy.php

After I recovered my sanity, I counted the box: 105. I just used one of these for the whole month of February (25 shaves and ready for more). That's 8.75 years of shaving. Of course, if I hadn't made this score I might have won the Mega Millions lottery...but somehow, I'm not disappointed. :shifty:

Wow!!!!! I never realized that the made a 74 med blade!!! I've seen 5 packs of 74's sell for around $20.....I would say you won the blade lottery!!!!!!

You should contact the seller, maybe he has a full case of those boxes and didn't see the point of putting 5000 "hospital use" blades up for auction. I mean who's going to want a bunch of old blades that probably aren't even sterile anymore, right?

It couldn't hurt to ask.

This got me thinking, if the medical profession went over to disposable surgical prep razors at about the same time ASR treacherously halted production of the 74, God only knows how many boxes of those things went unused and are even now sitting in forgotten corners of hospital supply rooms and the basements and attics of retired country doctors.

Last edited:
WoW!!! ....all I can say.

Wow!!!!! I never realized that the made a 74 med blade!!! I've seen 5 packs of 74's sell for around $20.....I would say you won the blade lottery!!!!!!

That's awesome. Congratulations on an excellent score.

Holy Moly!!! Awesome Haul.

Thanks guys! Believe me, there was plenty of "Wow!" and "Holy Moly" at my kitchen table last night. The wife was somewhat less awestruck than I, until she started searching eBay for P74 auctions, that is!

You should contact the seller, maybe he has a full case of those boxes and didn't see the point of putting 5000 "hospital use" blades up for auction. I mean who's going to want a bunch of old blades that probably aren't even sterile anymore, right?

It couldn't hurt to ask.

This got me thinking, if the medical profession went over to disposable surgical prep razors at about the same time ASR treacherously halted production of the 74, God only knows how many boxes of those things went unused and are even now sitting in forgotten corners of hospital supply rooms and the basements and attics of retired country doctors.

I'm definitely wondering the same thing about how many of these boxes are out there. I've never seen one before, and would have remembered if I had (Med fan, after all), but I'll be on the lookout after this. I already scouted the seller's items list, and it's a motley collection of antique doorknobs, buttons and other bric-a-brac with no further shave goods, but I'll take the tip and write him a note in case his source isn't dry. Thanks!

John, that is awesome!

Tom, I expect you'll turn up a box like this at a thrift store for $1.50, sometime in the next week or so. :detective:

So, what about those Tomacs? J/K awesome score!

Thanks, KJ! Funny you should ask. Those Tomacs are another hospital pack, this time of blued-carbon blades, and at first glance they look in excellent, shave-worthy shape. Since they were found in such noble company, I may give them the honor of being my first carbon DE shave! I think I'll put a jeweler's loupe on the edge first, though, considering the packaging isn't airtight.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

That is an amazing stroke of luck. I was eyeing that auction but passed for some reason. As a vintage carbon user the Tomacs interest me even more than the P74s.

Ah, so you got that lot! Great job. I think I may have been in the failed opening bids, as I am always on the hunt for super swords (they're wonderful!). (I picked up some super swords in another auction, actually.) Regardless, you have done exceedingly well. Congratulations!
I think we know who'll be sporting a P74 next February!
-- Chet

Dang, John, this is about the 5th or 6th time I've visited this thread. Time to go shopping for some deals!

I know, right?!? I mean, they're sitting here right in front of me, but it all seems too surreal until I look at the thread again on B&B. Yep, I'm a geek. A very lucky geek.

If you are a Gentlemen, you would PIF a few of those 74,s to those of us who have never had the fortune to try them. Hint hint.

Yes, yes, I can feel the karmic weight bearing down on me. At the VERY LEAST, there must be a reason why there were 5 extra blades in the box. I'll dream up a little contest as soon as I stop giggling. That may take a week or so, I'm afraid. :001_smile

WOW

You're really fortunate the auction ended on a Monday before 5pm ET.

A lot of people were not home from work yet to check eBay.

Why in the world would Personna use tungsten blades for what would seemingly be single use, disposable items??

Good to hear that there will be a PIF. I would like to formally announce that I am entering the aforementioned PIF.Now wait a minute, you say. I haven't even invented a contest yet.Who cares, these are Persona 74,s , the most uber blade ever to grace a de. I think I would rather win this than the 640,000,000.Than again with 640,000,000 I could start production again lol.Enjoy them.

Top Bottom