What's new

shipping Abroad

Just thought let people know if sending abroad put it as gift, and old razor on the customs declaration
Other wise has pay tax paid over $100 in last month.
Might just be UK not sure? Just thought might help you.

Not that I endorse any fraudulent behavior :001_rolle. However, the treshold for charging taxes differ from country to country. For example, in Canada is 20$ for regular merchandise and I think 45$ if marked as gift (so if you mark it at $100 and as "gift" really doesn't help). I Norway I think it's 30$. Maybe would help if non-US members would offer more details as how the import taxes work in their respective countries.
Also, it's good to avoid describe it as "razor" on customs form, it increases the chances that will be opened by Customs. Try "shaver". "Aftershave" it's another no-no on the customs forms.

"explosives" would be bad too. :p

In my experience the Dutch customs let most things through unless there is a really large amount on the customs declaration or if it looks business-like (big company logo on the box etc.).

Someone posted that "gift" is not considered fraudulent for ... old stuff, private transactions? Bah, I can't remember. Something like that. I never checked if that was true though...

If you are going to mislabel a customs declaration (and I can understand reason for it, such as a trade of razors, where it would be morally wrong to have to pay VAT) remember one thing: the recipient of the mail will be liable if customs find something wrong with it. Might be an issue if you are sending something big and expensive, and label it as like $5 or something like that.

i agree with the coments just when buy razor at $15 and charge $60 seems bit harsh, and when ordered more than one razor. never sure if its the $15 one or $200 doller one.
think they never put price on form.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I can see where the taxes are a real pain but it is illegal to falsify customs forms so I would not expect too many businesses will be willing to lie on the value claim.

I do get a chuckle out of the requests that say "I wanted to buy from you because you are so trustworthy, and oh, by the way, would you mind marking my $200 purchase as a $20 gift?" <g>

Tony

I think justandy meant it for deals between members. :)

I certainly wouldn't expect a business to misrepresent the contents of a package.

My system for shipping is to just go with a reasonable estimate.

Blades I declare as about $1 per ten.
Books I declare as "used book" and mark off as $1 since I'm usually just trading them and I've seen them go for $0.10 at a garage sale.
Razors, I don't ship because I don't have that many, but I'd declare them as "used razor" and mark somewhere between $5-15.

My favorite with customs was receiving a "commercial sample" of blades.

no only ment for members, if businesses you want right amount on other wise,
if had send it back or any thing.
they could say only said such amount on customs form, you would not be able dispute anything,

I can see where the taxes are a real pain but it is illegal to falsify customs forms so I would not expect too many businesses will be willing to lie on the value claim.

I do get a chuckle out of the requests that say "I wanted to buy from you because you are so trustworthy, and oh, by the way, would you mind marking my $200 purchase as a $20 gift?" <g>

Tony

Yes, that's absurd. However, if the price is $35 and the client asks to be marked at $30, so he/she would save $25 in taxes and customs brokerage fees, then I would think twice before refusing them.

Alfred

Top Bottom