What's new

She Says I Would Kill Myself

trying to change a womans mind----good luck on that one :lol:
you could always just do it get one and accept that she will be at the very least mad for a while and deal with it but hopefully you will be able to shave the first few times without a blood bath and prove her fears wrong, of course depending on your wife it may not be an acceptable risk to take :rolleyes:

That is the truth!

Marty

I've only been using a straight since last year but have been shaving with it exclusively for months. Funny, a few weeks ago I blew the dust off my vintage Gillette DE and had a go at it. Do you believe I was actually NERVOUS to use that DE whereas my straights feel so comfortable to me? I think that's so funny!

In my experience, the times I've nicked or cut myself with a straight have been no worse than with the DE. Nicking myself is more startling than painful, but startling enough where I quickly recoil before the blade does any real damage.

Go for it.

Chris L

Guys some of you are soo perceptive. I'm not quite a newly wed, we've been married 3 whole years :lol:. It is my second time around though.

The ex-wife would have probably bought me a dozen straights and then sent them to the worlds best honemeister, just to be certain that I would stand a better chance of doing serious/life threatening damage to myself.

As regards to just getting one and buying my current wife a gift, that could work out extremely expensive. She loves her horses and rides regularly, which means the only effective way to keep her sweet would be to spend several thousand on a new horse for her :eek:

I'm certain I'll get her to crack, but it's going to take a little bit of time.

I'm thinking of going to a local barber for a straight shave. That way I can show her how close a shave you can get with one. Apparently he also does lessons. Now, can your hear my wallet opening with her full consent? :001_smile

I've gotta have one :tongue_sm:tongue_sm:tongue_sm

LOL reading this thread is making me laugh....you fellas are GROWN MEN!!! Come on! Boy, this sure is making me want to get married...:rolleyes::tongue_sm

Of course, you could always get hold of a Sanguine X-D20. It's cheap, gives an excellent (and I mean outstanding) shave, uses ordinary DE blades ("but darling, I'm using the same blades as I do in my other razor") and, once mastered, allows you to say (with some degree of truth) "but dear, the only difference between this and a true straight razor is that I don't have to keep changing the blade".

Well, it's worth a try!

I'm thinking of going to a local barber for a straight shave. That way I can show her how close a shave you can get with one.

You better be careful with this because most barbers are not trained on how to use a real straight anymore. Most will use a regular disposable or a shavette type to shave you and I can recal many "horror stories" from people thinking that they were going to get a great shave from a "real" barber. Make sure that whoever you go to has a great reputation or your wife (and you) might even be more scared after the experience.

High ball her. Come up with some outrageous thing you want then the straight razor thing won't seem so bad.I can't get my wife to let me have a badger brush. I have to use synthetics. Thank goodness taylors of london makes a nice one.

kato

How about a shavette like the Sanguine? The lip where the blade protrudes from the armature does provide a guide and some protection (at least enough to sell the idea to SWMBO) and they are a reasonable way to test whether the straight's for you.

Best Regards

Graham

Applying logic when trying to convince your wife on something. You must be a newlywed.:lol:

We have been together for 11 years now. Of course I am not one of these "modern" men who lets his wife control his life. I think that logic and reason are very effective in a relationship. I am not trying to convince her though. While we do discuss important matters that have an effect on us both, I make my own decisions and do not ask, need or want my wife's permission with regard to how I spend my money or engage in my hobbies. Different strokes for different folks. :cool:

Joe

OK.

#1- Don't have her buy you the razor for your birthday, go out and buy the razor you want NOW. At a later time she can buy you a nice Tony Miller strop or something for your birthday.

#2- Have it shipped to your work address.

#3- Shave with it. Look at it. Enjoy it.

#4- After a couple of weeks, the subject may come up about straight razors, and at that point you can say confidently "It's no big deal, I've been shaving with them for the last few weeks!"

That's about how it worked for me!:lol:

Married 15 years:001_rolle

Unfornunately, you felt it necessary to discuss your personal grooming decisions with your wife. First mistake. Then you asked for permission. Second mistake. You are now in the untenable position of having to choose between a razor and you wife. Judging from your dilemna, I think you have chosen your wife.

You will probably have to let this topic idle for a few months. At a convient time, buy and a razor( perhaps getting lessons from your favorite barber first) and use it without discussion. Be nonchalant when she walks in and sees you with it.

Actually, the worst cut I ever had was with a M3 powered version. DO NOT hold that thing on your face when it is "on" unless you keep it moving...kinda like an electric fillet knife:eek:

Expect to be a little nervous at first....fear is powerful, and will keep you from cutting your head off...

...besides, you really would pass out LONG before your head was removed from your neck, anyway:wink:

Unfornunately, you felt it necessary to discuss your personal grooming decisions with your wife. First mistake. Then you asked for permission. Second mistake. You are now in the untenable position of having to choose between a razor and you wife. Judging from your dilemna, I think you have chosen your wife.

You will probably have to let this topic idle for a few months. At a convient time, buy and a razor( perhaps getting lessons from your favorite barber first) and use it without discussion. Be nonchalant when she walks in and sees you with it.

Hey, that is what my wife does to me. I just see a package come in the mail.She never asks for permission.:mad3:

Dude, just buy it.

It’s threads like this that make me wonder why guys get married in the first place. The ROI just doesn’t seem equitable.

Dude, just buy it.

It’s threads like this that make me wonder why guys get married in the first place. The ROI just doesn’t seem equitable.

When you have kids, then the ROI is beyond belief!:biggrin:

Although then you have almost no free time....:frown:

I used to kitesurf, windsurf, surf, mountain bike, etc, etc. Now my hobby is shaving with a straight. I love it, as it maintains a small portion of that 'fear factor'. Plus it is a bit of quite time, which is somewhat rare at the moment...

A wise man once told me that it is much easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

+1 on this one.

I fortunately did not tell my significant other about my shaving with a str8 for her to complain.

I just went out and bought the razor and strop as soon I made up my mind. She complained for a day or two and then it was all settled.

Top Bottom