What's new

Shaving with reading glasses???

I am just finishing up cataract surgery on both eyes. I will now have wonderful distant vision but may need reading glasses for near vision. How do you folks handle the shave with "not-so-sharp" near vision? Is is doable using reading glasses while shaving? Do you just shave by feel? I would appreciate some tips from the guys who have learned how to perfect this new (to me) technique. Thanks in advance.

I don't have terrible vision, but it's bad enough to require glasses all of the time. I typically shave the first WTG pass on my cheeks without glasses, as they get in the way, but I am able to put them on for the rest of the WTG pass, and the rest of the shave. They don't seem to get in the way XTG or ATG.

You’ll have to wait and see. I’m thinking it won’t be an issue. I have progressive vision and never use the reading ranges. My face is far enough from the mirror that the distance focus is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, speedy and great responses! Can't tell you how much I appreciate them. They pretty much fall in line with what I had imagined, but I sure appreciate the reinforcement. My eyes have not healed up enough yet to really "see" where I fall. but it is looking pretty good. They installed a completely new type of lenses, and it is amazing what they have accomplished. Thanks again! Any further comments/ideas still much appreciated.

I started shaving before I needed glasses. Even though I have to always wear them to do just about anything now, I’ve never shaved wearing glasses. I guess I just learned to shave by feel and muscle memory. Maybe I should try shaving wearing glasses sometime.

I am just finishing up cataract surgery on both eyes. I will now have wonderful distant vision but may need reading glasses for near vision. How do you folks handle the shave with "not-so-sharp" near vision? Is is doable using reading glasses while shaving? Do you just shave by feel? I would appreciate some tips from the guys who have learned how to perfect this new (to me) technique. Thanks in advance.
Try a magnifying mirror for the finishing details.

I bought reading glasses just to use while shaving. But I splash a lot, and lather with exuberance. Thus, as with other intimate acts, the glasses didn’t work out so well. So I’m back to shaving by feel. But they’re still handy when I’m checking to see which blade is loaded in a DE razor, or when choosing a sample container.

Blurry vision is good enough for the first pass.

The last pass is by feel.
I wet my hands with water.
The residual soap on my face mixes with the water.
The soapy water makes it very easy to feel any stubble.
The soapy water is also just right for the final ATG pass.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I began wearing reading glasses to shave with after getting a few dreaded "old-man's shaves" that left little islands of whiskers here and there. I also bought a magnifying mirror and replaced the soft-white vanity bulbs with bright 5000°K LEDs.

You can't shave what you can't see. At least consistently. (Head shavers excepted. Hats off to them.)

I have had progressive lenses for years. I also have cataracts. I wear my glasses to shave or use a 5X magnifying mirror. I mounted it next to the mirror in the bathroom. My wife uses it for her make up as well. I found the 10 power magnifying mirror to be too strong.

I found it difficult to shave with progressive lenses. However, I have an older pair of glasses that I used when I did options trading via my computer. That works great for me. I also have a pair of "cheaters" I use when I travel.

It's hard for me to shave with the readers on. Much more comfortable without them. You really do not need to see the whiskers. You can actually hear and feel them getting cut. So you just need to get your razor in the general area. For me, I can do that without the readers. (By the time you are old enough to need readers, you know where the parts of your face are.) Just my 2¢, good luck!

With my DE and SE razors I can shave fine with my glasses on - apart from when I splurge MWF's finest lather over the lenses! However I'm just starting to use SR's and the glasses are causing me more problems here.

With the SR I find my hands sometimes get in the way of my view at the moment anyway and the frame of the glasses can cause some of the view to be further obliterated when looking out of the side of them.

I'm sure I'll learn to adapt though. One always seems to...

I have had successful cataract surgery on both eyes. Answering your questions Yes & Yes. I shave face and head. I still have astigmatism in both eyes. I use a pair of bifocals with astigmatism correction for iPad. I use another pair of bifocals with astigmatism correction for closer work clipping finger nails, honing razors. I use the iPad strength after shaving side burn areas for my face shave. I also use magnifying mirrors in my shave. I shave my head without any glasses and the back of my head by feel only. You will adept to what you need to do comfortably with and without lens correction. You and I are like the three legged dog moving down the street. He forgot he used to have four legs and has adapted.

At 20cm I can read without glasses
At 50-60 I will have trouble identifying stubble detail
However I shave most of the time without glasses.
this is because I shaved for a long time in the steam sauna where glasses and mirrors are useless. So I can by touch and razor feedback.
I do prefer an easy broman/oneblade razor but I can do the same with a de.
And I still have my nose and ears.

what can help is getting a set of round shaving mirrors and one enlarged other normal side to get close by.
my mirror is tilted forward between the two standing sinks so I can get pretty close if desired. Drawback if you spill soap it is on the floor and that happens a lot.

you can always get a real cheap +1 +2 reading glasse set they even sell adjustables

but try without you might be surprised .

Top Bottom