What's new

Shaving with dry skin

Hello, all.

I, like many others, am a sufferer of dry skin. In the winter, it is at its worst.

I've found that the constant splashing of hot water on my face required by DE shaving and the multiple pass method really dries my skin out. Moistuizers and aftershave help to an extent, but not enough.

Though my skin is often smooth, it also looks dry and flaky, which makes me look weathered and old. Not much fun when you're 23.

Do you think maybe cutting back on the water temperature would help? Maybe using a steamed towel instead of a lot of hot water in the beginning?

I'd like to keep up the DE shaving, but not at the expense of my skin's overall appearance.

Hi Sal,
I also have dry skin. I shave almost every day and make multiple passes. What I do to keep my skin healthy looking is start with a Shea butter enriched soap from one of the fine French soap makers or our own Sues, I make a good rich lather that will lubricate and protect my face whilst I am shaving. Warm water rinse, cold water rinse, Pat dry, I use a plant hydro-sol like witch hazel or DA Vinci water followed by a good after shave balm. Two that I can recommend are Olivia's AS balm and Kiehl's As balm. I let the balm sit for a couple of minuets to soak in then pat any excess away with a towel.

I reapply the balm at the end of the day as well.

Hope this helps

I'll try this. Do you have a link to a place where I can get this shea butter soap for cheap?

There is a Kiehl's down the street from me, but I know that the stuff in there is pretty expensive for me.

I use Thayers and it worked beautifully during the summer, but it's not enough now that it's like 20 degrees out there.

I didn't mention that my skin is acne prone and sensitive and that most heavy moisturizing products don't turn out well.

I think I'll start with the shea butter and use warm water as opposed to hot. If that doesn't help, I'll consider trying the heavier aftershaves.

I'm not a big fan of having products sit on my face. If I could, I'd go without an aftershave completely.

Thanks for the response, man.

Sal

I would keep using the Thayer's it re balances your skins PH and soothes. Heres a link to the soap I would recommend for you based on performance and price. The Unscented is a good way to go if you have breakouts. I will amend my recommendation for an aftershave also because of price and your breakouts to Niviea brand AS Balm for sensitive skin, available in drugstores and markets everywhere.
Keep posting.

Try pre-shave oil... I have your same problem and aura cacia sweet almond oil (5.99USD) works great.... Seems to "lock in" moisture during the shave, while preventing the razor from scything off too many skin cells... Leaves the skin (after alum, thayers, and nivea sensitive ASB) very moisturized, but not oily...

-s

Try pre-shave oil... I have your same problem and aura cacia sweet almond oil (5.99USD) works great.... Seems to "lock in" moisture during the shave, while preventing the razor from scything off too many skin cells... Leaves the skin (after alum, thayers, and nivea sensitive ASB) very moisturized, but not oily...

-s

I agree ; while many gents do not need preshave oil to improve their shaves, I need it on harsh winter days/weeks ; I naturally have dry skin, and even tho' I use good A/S balm+moisturizer, sometimes I use preshave oil to prevent what wa-bacchis said
Plus, it leaves some moiture post-shave......

Thanks, guys.

I'll check out the pre-shave oil, too.

Nivea I've used and don't like that much. It's a logical choice, but it's a little heavy. My skin is not amenable to most products. I'm hoping as I get older this will change, but it may not.

What about the Proraso Splash? It's somewhat pricey, but if it does a good job, maybe it's a good investment.

I also ordered an alum block, so maybe that could do the trick on its own.

My skin makes my life so complicated.

-s

Where do you get this Cacia sweet almond oil? Also what's a good store to buy thayers in? Does GNC have it? Vitamin World? I'm going to the mall later today so I figured I'd buy a bottle on the way.

Thanks

Top Bottom