What's new

Shaving while camping

+1! I'm with you 50F? I would be there in a hot min!

+2 It has to be Alaska, or Canada... I am jealous right now. Is it a sin to covet someones' climate?:blushing:

I don't shave when camping, especially hunting. Although the C.O. Bigelow would really put my scent-a-way to the test!:lol::lol::lol:

Mike

The last couple of camping trip I've been on did not have a vehicle nearby. I took shaving supplies on the one just to say I did it. But, when everything has to fit in a kayak, space is a premium. I usually just shave when I get home.

I only camp when my band or morris team are performing at folk festivals. These old bones are finding it a bit hard!

Now I'll probably get run out of town but I take my old Philishave rechargeable:w00t: I used before these enlightened days! Quick and easy. Crap shave but presentable for the few days I'm at the festivals. Proper shower and shave when I get back!

Gareth

My husband and I love camping. The last time we went only my husband was DE shaving (I have recently picked it up), but he definitely took his shaving gear with him! He wouldn't leave home without it. Now that you mention it, my mind is going over exactly how I could accomplish my shave on our next trip. Hmmmmm.....

As far as stubble keeping your face warm....I think a close shave and you wife do a much better job! :blush:

Hunting of course is a different subject. I understand that you wouldn't want to shave due to the smell. But for camping....absolutley.

A weekend I can skip. (and get a wonderful nice close shave when I resume- I love those shaves)

for a week or more I'll shave once or twice depending on the facilities which may be a plastic bowl with water heated with a coleman stove.

During hunting season, I'll skip it all together because of the scent and the longish stubble keeps you a little warmer.

+1 for being all cleaned up before climbin in a sleeping bag.

When I was a scout leader I would get up early to shave with hot water from the Coleman. The other leaders all looked rough, while I was totally put together. Shaving outdoors at near freezing temperatures is an experience not to be missed!

When I was a scout leader I would get up early to shave with hot water from the Coleman. The other leaders all looked rough, while I was totally put together. Shaving outdoors at near freezing temperatures is an experience not to be missed!

Yup...a fellow Canadian. :wink2:

For field work I have to resort to a little Panasonic portable - no hot water means no wet shave!!! Don't try it if you've got a tough beard, you'll be hating life.

As long as you're camping and "roughing it", just go ahead and shave with tepid water. When I'm in Central America visiting, cold or tepid water is all that is readily available; it works just fine..
Ken

The last time I went camping I was gathering my gear and SWMBO put the veto down right quick. Felt scruffy and uncomfortable, but it was a great shave when I got home.

The OP pretty much did what I do when camping. I heat about 1/2gal of water to near boil in a stainless steel mixing bowl. Make a lather in a small plastic bowl I got from the dollar store. I also use a mirror hung from a tree.

Afterwards I distribute the soapy hairy water over a large area and refil and reheat the mixing bowl for SWMBO to shave her legs in the tent...

I was a Scoutmaster for many years so I did shave on camping trips much of the time. Minimalist equipment was all I needed. Very light razor, inexpensive brush, almost spent puck in aluminum twist off tin and a polished aluminum mirror. I rather enjoyed shaving in the wild and it set a good example for the boys, some of whom had no male to show them how to get a proper save.

I wasn't a purest about it but it was enjoyable nonetheless. On those occasions when I did not shave, I did enjoy plowing through a few days worth of stubble.

Happy shaving,

Doug

I must say that even while camping you can really get a great shave. It's all about replicating the things you need to get a good shave at home. Hot water, a brush, bowl (a metal and enamel coleman camping bowl), maybe pre-shave oil (If you're into it), a good cream or soap, a DE razor (I use the merkur slant), and a nice blade (I used a derby extra for this outing). You'll need a mirror too, I've used the side mirror on my truck or a mirror on a string.

How far down the trail did you pack all that?

I've packed shaving gear only when canoe camping. The portages are usually less than a mile so it's no added sweat to hump it to the next lake or river. Of course, the way to carry your gear is to put first hang your food pack on your front, your personal pack on your back, then pick up the canoe and go!

Top Bottom