What's new

Shaving the neck

Hello Gents, ever since i started wet shaving i still have not been able to get a good shave on the neck. I shave every other day, use Kyle's prep (if you have not used it, do it its amazing you can find it in the newbie check in forum), use super lather using Tabac soap and either proraso or Taylors avacado. I also have a slant and a gilette fat boy adjustable. now my hair on my neck grows from south to north. Do any of you have a trouble with the neck area and have found solutions that can work to get rid of that stubble without going ATG?

I have loads of problems with my neck, the bottom of my beard. I have tried lots of different things but I still run into problems. The biggest help has been switching to a single blade razor. I use either a DE, usually a Feather blade, or a Feather AC RG "Special." For a long time I was doing much better but this week I am back to the same old thing. I'm not sure what went wrong.

The one suggestion I have for you is that using extra pressure is a no no. It is very hard , for me, to get a close shave around the neck. I am beginning to think that getting that perfect shave is not for me. Once or twice WTG and that is enough.

Best,

DaveS:confused:

Different parts of my neck grow N to S, S to N, N to SW/SE, and S to NW/NE. The only way I can cut the toughest parts is to wait until I am done shaving the rest of my face, take some lather in my hand, mix it with some of the soapy water left in the sink, rub it on the rough spot, and buff it against the grain. Because of my crazy beard, within a two inch swipe I can cut with, across, and against the grain. No one technique works for everybody, good luck.

Can't add anything at this point, but I wanted to say that there must be dozens of threads where gents complain about problems with their necks. A lot of wisdom is contained in those threads. Good luck! Best - MM

I used to have alot of problems with my neck now it is just once and a blue moon. I will shave xtg first usually towardss my ear. On the next latherd pass I shave up S-N. I may have to do some more cleaning up by shaving up again. I have also found that sometimes if I shave upwards kinda diagonal instead of straight up it helps me achieve a closer shave. Just remeber to watch your angle. I realized I was adjusting mine too much when bringing my hand up. Go slow.

As others have already stated, the neck is usually the toughest thing to perfect and every man's solution is going to be a bit different.

Blade buffing, j-hooking, and the bullfrog are all techniques worthy of trying. Another technique worth checking out is to rub a shave stick on the stubborn patches (without lathering) for your final touch up.

Above all, don't give up. Keep experimenting and you'll have it whipped before you know it.

Top Bottom