What's new

shaving soap vs. shaving cream

To me, it's all the same in the end except that soap lasts longer. Either one takes me 30 seconds to face lather. It doesnt really make a difference, but soap is more bang for your buck.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
My experience is creams lather easier than soaps, which may be part of their popularity. But my experience is the soaps I've used are much slicker than creams, and I have no trouble lathering soaps. I think that may account for the preference for soaps -- slicker.

I like to lather, kind of, using my hands under the shower...I do this at the end of my shower and using mainly the creams that are not my preferred ones.
After the shower I m face lathering with stick.
I found that it is the best preparation for me....:thumbup:
On top it is a nice way to finish the creams that are not my favorites....

Tam

I must be part of the few that like to use both creams and soaps for different reasons. I actually own about half soaps half creams and use them all.

I have face-lathered soaps exclusively (except for travel) for ten years. (However, only been DE shaving for a few months)

I don't get the same lather quality from creams, and the good quality creams are extremely expensive vs. soap. (Not that you can't buy expensive soap, but it will last longer than a comparable cream).

Plus I like the "something from nothing" quality of face lathering from a puck...

I like and regularly use both. Soap tends to have a larger variety of scent and producers but I like the ease of cream use. Plus, I find that even with the same manufacturer i occasionally prefer their same scent cream over soap.

I'm in the BigRich club, use them both. I really just depends on what I feel like at that time.

I'm a soap guy (with a carve-out for Proraso).

1. I think soaps are more fun, creating the perfect lather from a dry, hard puck with just some badger/boar hair and water.
2. The plastic tub/tube packaging of creams is a turn-off. I prefer the minimalist aesthetics of a puck (with or without bowl).
3. I don't have to worry about soaps turning. With several years' worth of product in the den, feeling the pressure to use up creams would stress me out. And I don't like stress.
4. I prefer the (generally) subtler scents of soap (carve-out for Tabac). I don't want a battle with my cologne.

Last edited:
Top Bottom