What's new

shaving not on a regular basis

For a while my job required me to shave daily, and I was getting good at getting a good close shave with my gold dollar. Now I don't shave everyday due to time constraints and other factors. So now I shave maybe twice a week. That makes for a rough shave due to the longer hair. Once I get that first pass out of the way it is not so bad but that first pass, well...Was wondering if anyone had any advice to help smooth it out a bit or make it easier on that first pass.

Sounds like you need a touch-up on your razor. I just honed one for a gentleman and shave tested last night on 4 or 5 days growth. If I hadn't been watching the whiskers come off, I would have had to check it was so smooth. A good edge should cut cleanly and effortlessly no matter the length of your whiskers.

How are you maintaining you blades? Is it possible it has become in need of a refresh? see ^.
What preparation are you doing for your skin? Same as ever?

i never found a properly sharp straight razor that wouldn't cut anything in sight! Ears...Nose, fingers...

T

Well, what they said above regarding the honing.

But also, good preparation to soften your beard and shorter strokes are required. In my experience this is true for both, straight as well as DE shaving with a bit longer growth, you just have to limit the area you're shaving with single stroke.

Use a beard trimmer! Cut it down to ~24-48 hour growth, which should help quite a bit. I'm far from an expert, but my experience mirrors yours: more than 48 hour growth is significantly harder to shave, especially WTG. It just catches the hairs and thins individual folicles. The only way I've found to prevent that so far is a ridiculous scraping angle, which obviously has it's own disadvantages.

Or I guess your first pass could be with a DE or SE. These other guys also have great advice and most (or all) have significantly more experience than I do with straights.

What the others said about a touch up. However also you may find taking shorter strokes will help to. Avoid the long sweeping motions.
Good prep and lots of sloppy lather.

I shave so closely, with a thick beard and smooth skin that when using a straight or DE, I shave every other day. Sometimes I let it go a third day.

Lather really well after a hot shower and take short, smooth strokes. Usually three passes and the shave is just about perfect.

Go slow, take your time and the shave is a cinch along with the results.

I have a few more thoughts that have just occurred to me. First, shavettes tend to be significantly sharper and may be better suited to mowing down that stubble. Second, you can get a razor that approaches that shavette-level of sharpness. An unmodded gold dollar (or other no-frills Chinese razor) has a pretty hefty bevel angle compared to most straights and won't cut quite as readily as another razor with a smaller bevel angle, assuming they have been honed in exactly the same manner. Also, you could get your razor honed on an even finer stone. The 12k edge not doing it for you? Try 16k, or maybe some pastes. Coti not cutting it? Maybe try Jnats, Thuris, finishing arks, etc.

Top Bottom