What's new

Shaving in the shower

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Yup, another thread about it. I saw a few of them while searching the site. I tried shower shaving for the first time last week and I thought it worked fairly well(even if I had a few issues).

I have one of those shutoff valves that will cut between 95%-98% of the water pressure while I'm in the shower. I started using that in order to save water (even if Canada isn't a country that needs strict water consumption like Australia for example). I guess that living down under made me change a few habits. I'm the only one who uses it every shower, winter or summer.

Anyways. I decided to shave in the shower because I knew that some did it successfully. Also, I've never shaved in the shower before. I believe that was enough for me!

Now, what went well:
  • The shave itself was all right.
  • The valve to cut the water while I shaved. That one will probably help when a mirror will get into the equation.
  • building the lather and cleanup
Where it wasn't a shining diamond
  • I don't have a mirror so I used the back of the chrome showerhead as a mirror (not great plus my face was distorted).
  • I nicked myself on the chin (I usually don't cut myself and since I've been shaving, I do not recall ever cutting myself on the chin).
  • I have a fairly small shower with no shelves (1 person standing - corner shower). While the room wasn't great. I was able to proceed by leaving my brush, scuttle, and razor on the floor. It's not great but I find it manageable.
  • Finally, I forgot to turn the light on when I was in the shower (during the day). I realized that a bit too late (shower in progress). Half wet, I turned a light on but the wrong one (of course) so the lighting wasn't great.
I will try again and try to find a small mirror (even if I have to steal it from SWMBO's makeup department). Also, the right light might improve everything.

I needed a minor touchup when I got out with the sideburns.

I intend to report back and try to note if there are any improvements that I can make.

I shaved in the shower for years. With carts and some with DEs after I got into it. Wouldn’t do it with straights though. 😁

You don’t need a mirror, but plenty use them. Find the edge of your sideburns with your off hand and start. Feel and sound will let you know what’s working. Check for missed spots with your fingers for touch ups. You can even simply hand lather with a stick. I’ve done it while traveling and lazy. Just takes practice.

I don’t know how much water it saves vs rinsing at a sink

You can learn to shave by touch and feel, that would be my suggestion. Not so hard, since you already know what a good shave feels like when you are doing it the usual way. Face lathering with a shave soap stick, or using a cream will make things easier.

To save time, I've been shower shaving lately. I have a shower caddy in my shower stall, from which I place my tube of Proraso and my razor (after showering, I take apart clean, and dry my razor before reassembling it for my next shave). I also bought a fogless (steel?) mirror that I like to place on my shower caddy when shaving (but usually hang on my shower stall door when not in use).

Since I'm shaving in the shower, I don't want to damage my brushes. Instead of lathering the Proraso, I squeeze out a bit from the tube and apply that to my face. It's still plenty slick and protective enough to provide a BBS for most shaves (the exception is when I shave over an unexpected spot of acne).

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I've been shaving in the shower almost exclusively for a month. It was something that I did for years until I got away from carts when I joined Badger and Blade.

But a month or so ago we went out west for a vacation and I started the shower shaves again because of all the rushing about with travel, sightseeing, etc. Then have just kept it up with the DE since I have been home.

On vacation I used a new old stock three blade razor from Gillette that did a really good job.

I'll eventually get back to the sink shaves, but a nice luke warm shower in the summer is nice. Lol, clean up is easy!

I've been using some old Nivea I think? at home. It's pretty slick stuff, not even sure if it's still being made?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Mmm, sounds like this is like a Mexican standoff like the Arko-situation (you either love it or you hate it).

I will definitely look for a mirror. Most threads suggest using a bar of soap to clean the mirror to prevent fog.

On how much water it saves, maybe not that much(or at all). When I shaved after a shower I would only open the water to clean the razor. I wouldn't let the water run continuously. In the shower, I did not time myself when I shave but I'm out within 5 mins and I cut the water while I soap. So I must be saving something somewhere since it's dripping vs a full jet. Well... Full jet on a water-saving showerhead. Until I get a mirror in that shower I won't be able to say if that valve changes something or not for the fog.

Anyways, I had 1-2 spots that I couldn't see properly and had to touch up when I was out of the shower. I haven't used a straight razor in there, just a good old Merkur 38C. I figured that a shave stick would be easier (and it was).

Hand lathering and/or face lathering are the way to go in there IMO.

I did notice a way to place my gear on the shower caddy as mentioned above but after the shower. I think it will be more interesting when everything is set up.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Mmm, sounds like this is like a Mexican standoff like the Arko-situation (you either love it or you hate it).

I will definitely look for a mirror. Most threads suggest using a bar of soap to clean the mirror to prevent fog.

On how much water it saves, maybe not that much(or at all). When I shaved after a shower I would only open the water to clean the razor. I wouldn't let the water run continuously. In the shower, I did not time myself when I shave but I'm out within 5 mins and I cut the water while I soap. So I must be saving something somewhere since it's dripping vs a full jet. Well... Full jet on a water-saving showerhead. Until I get a mirror in that shower I won't be able to say if that valve changes something or not for the fog.

Anyways, I had 1-2 spots that I couldn't see properly and had to touch up when I was out of the shower. I haven't used a straight razor in there, just a good old Merkur 38C. I figured that a shave stick would be easier (and it was).

Hand lathering and/or face lathering are the way to go in there IMO.

I did notice a way to place my gear on the shower caddy as mentioned above but after the shower. I think it will be more interesting when everything is set up.
I'm going to try the shave stick idea. When I use bar soap I just hand lather.

My hat is off to you folks that don't use a mirror. I've never tried that. I'm pretty sure it would end in a disaster for me...

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I shaved in the shower exclusively for many years before retirement.

1. A ‘Navy’ shower head with the push button spigot to shut water off and back on is a must in order to save water and make the shave more efficient. Running shower water while shaving will kill the lather you built up on your face.

2. Face lathering works better in the shower than building lather in a mug.

3. There are plenty of fogless mirrors out there, but I only ever used a cheap, $5 mirror that had suction cups I had stuck to the glass shower door. While it wasn’t fogless, a small bit of soap or cream rinse rubbed on the mirror kept it fog free the entire shave.

4. Some type of shower caddy is very helpful for holding your soap/cream, razor or mug. They have caddy’s that hang directly from the shower head or there are those long pogo stick types with shelves that go in the corner of the shower and press against the ceiling and floor to stay in place.

5. One of my most useful accessories was a rubber green shave mug by Marvy.
I filled it with water before turning off the shower head spigot and rinsed my razor off in it between strokes and passes.

The heat and moisture of a shower shave produces great smooth comfortable shaves that are hard to duplicate at the sink. :)

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Yup, another thread about it. I saw a few of them while searching the site. I tried shower shaving for the first time last week and I thought it worked fairly well(even if I had a few issues).

I have one of those shutoff valves that will cut between 95%-98% of the water pressure while I'm in the shower. I started using that in order to save water (even if Canada isn't a country that needs strict water consumption like Australia for example). I guess that living down under made me change a few habits. I'm the only one who uses it every shower, winter or summer.

Anyways. I decided to shave in the shower because I knew that some did it successfully. Also, I've never shaved in the shower before. I believe that was enough for me!

Now, what went well:
  • The shave itself was all right.
  • The valve to cut the water while I shaved. That one will probably help when a mirror will get into the equation.
  • building the lather and cleanup
Where it wasn't a shining diamond
  • I don't have a mirror so I used the back of the chrome showerhead as a mirror (not great plus my face was distorted).
  • I nicked myself on the chin (I usually don't cut myself and since I've been shaving, I do not recall ever cutting myself on the chin).
  • I have a fairly small shower with no shelves (1 person standing - corner shower). While the room wasn't great. I was able to proceed by leaving my brush, scuttle, and razor on the floor. It's not great but I find it manageable.
  • Finally, I forgot to turn the light on when I was in the shower (during the day). I realized that a bit too late (shower in progress). Half wet, I turned a light on but the wrong one (of course) so the lighting wasn't great.
I will try again and try to find a small mirror (even if I have to steal it from SWMBO's makeup department). Also, the right light might improve everything.

I needed a minor touchup when I got out with the sideburns.

I intend to report back and try to note if there are any improvements that I can make.
I shave with straight razors so shaving in the shower is definitely out.

Top Bottom