What's new

Shaving Cream in the summer

Colleen,

I use two "menthol" type products. Proraso and Mama Bears Rosemary and Mint. No problem with watery eyes from either of these.

The only brushless item I have used is the Face Tools Cleanse 'n Shave, available from Jolene. It is a gel that forms a bit of a white "froth" when applied by hand. Had I never discovered the joy of using a shaving brush, I could use this product daily! It provides one of the closest and most moisturizing shaves I have ever had. But it is useless with a brush, and I won't give up my brushes!

Randy

Will you please tell me more about this "Brushless" shaving cream???? Do you just put in on your face like a lotion? does it have a lather?
XXWarm Regards, Colleen
Depends on the historical sense of the use of the term "brushless". The stuff sold today under that term is generally some sort of goop that you spread on your wet face. It doesn't make a lather; it's just an oily slime to make the razor slide. The instructions usually say to "use sparingly" and "rinse razor often" because it will clog the blade(s). (It will also mess up your brush and force you to clean it well if you make the mistake of trying to lather with it.)

I'm not sure of the exact dates, but certainly from the 40's through the 80's you could get "brushless" shaving cream in a tube, and it was real shaving cream. However, you could just spread it on your wet face and rub with your fingertips and make a lather. It's even possible that you can still get this stuff today, somewhere outside the US. I never did care much for it, because I like the feel of a brush, but my father used it a lot.

I used Shave the Day from Bath and Body Works and found it to be a decent product. I think it was lightly mentholated and I used it for travel. I have since discarded it to make space for my new creams. Basically I put a bit into my fingers and rubbed it into my wet face to get a while film.

Before that I used Razor Sharp from Philosophy, which was a silicone-based lotion. It gave me some close shaves but was 'spensive! I went to replenish it (received it as a gift) and learned the cost and switched to Shave the Day. After that I found Proraso and never looked back. Incidentally I discovered the wonders of the shaving brush maybe a month later.

I hope this next question makes a small amount of sense....but can you tell a difference between menthol and mint?

XXWarm Regards, Colleen ....or maybe it should read XXCool Regards....:laugh:

I don't think there's a difference: peppermint contains menthol.

I don't think there's a difference: peppermint contains menthol.
Q: Can you tell the difference between apple pie and sugar?
A: I don't think so, apple pie contains sugar.

Peppermint oil contains menthol, but also a lot of other things. Most of the 30-odd other varieties of mint also contain menthol, to different degrees. Menthol can be isolated from its source and mixed into shaving soap in much higher concentrations than you would obtain by using peppermint oil alone.

And rosemary contains eucalyptol, among other things. And of course, eucalyptus EO contains about 99% eucalyptol. Both eucalyptol and menthol cause a cooling sensation on the skin. So do some of the other things in peppermint oil.

So in a shaving soap made with EOs of peppermint and rosemary, you would have some menthol and some eucalyptol. More of either one could also be added, though. :eek::cool:

Q: Can you tell the difference between apple pie and sugar?
A: I don't think so, apple pie contains sugar.

Peppermint oil contains menthol, but also a lot of other things. Most of the 30-odd other varieties of mint also contain menthol, to different degrees. Menthol can be isolated from its source and mixed into shaving soap in much higher concentrations than you would obtain by using peppermint oil alone.

And rosemary contains eucalyptol, among other things. And of course, eucalyptus EO contains about 99% eucalyptol. Both eucalyptol and menthol cause a cooling sensation on the skin. So do some of the other things in peppermint oil.

So in a shaving soap made with EOs of peppermint and rosemary, you would have some menthol and some eucalyptol. More of either one could also be added, though. :eek::cool:

Evenin Fella's

Hey Fritz, you really know your essential oils!!

I must say that I'm acquiring quite an education here in regards to menthol and now brushless shaving cream.

I do have menthol crystals downstairs in the shop.....of course the shop is supposed to be next door, and somehow I'm still in between; I have read that menthol crystals are derived from part of the distillation process of the mint essential oils........and I must say that they're quite beautiful, like shards of glass.

If you decide to put you face close and take a good whiff, your eyes will water and it'll take your breath away too :eek: very potent....LOL. Of course, one time of doing that and you remember to hold the container away from your face and use your hand to gently stir the air.

I blend most of my scents so they're custom, and I like to use mostly essential oils. If I wasn't so busy with the sloooowwww process of moving next door and now training a part time employee, I'd try to whip something up.....but I suppose it will another month or so before I have an opportunity to really sit down and puzzle this one out, but I'm anxious to try.

The summers are far more hot here "and humid" than when I was a small girl, and I can see where the cooling sensation of the menthol would be mighty nice when the temp is 97 F and the humidity is 80% ......yep! gotta work on that one :wink:

XXWarm Regards, Colleen

I'm with Jay here, it's more about the scent than cream/soap for me. I use a lot of Limes products in the summer, but it varies between T&H cream, Harris Arlington Creams, and QED soap.

Winter, I lean more heavily on Tabac, QED Sandalwood, C&E Sienna, etc.

And well, there are lots of others, although, no Gentlemens' Quarter as yet, unfortunately. I keep meaning to do something about that. :blushing:

-Mo

Mo,

What does the Arlington cream smell like? Is it's performance any good? :huh:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
If you decide to put you face close and take a good whiff, your eyes will water and it'll take your breath away too :eek: very potent....LOL. Of course, one time of doing that and you remember to hold the container away from your face and use your hand to gently stir the air.

Flashback to highschool chemistry class ... I did it the wrong way ... nearly fell over!! :scared:

Mo,

What does the Arlington cream smell like? Is it's performance any good? :huh:

I'll respond since I don't know if Mo is still checking in or is occupied packing, traveling etc. The Arlington is a citrus & fern concoction...very pleasant. The soap and cream perform wonderfully. Harris products, while not inexpensive, are worth the money...IMHO...YMMV...

Flashback to highschool chemistry class ... I did it the wrong way ... nearly fell over!! :scared:

I'll respond since I don't know if Mo is still checking in or is occupied packing, traveling etc. The Arlington is a citrus & fern concoction...very pleasant. The soap and cream perform wonderfully. Harris products, while not inexpensive, are worth the money...IMHO...YMMV...

Hey Doc4, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one....:biggrin1: shew...thats some potent stuff.

Well Gentlemen the Arlington smells yummy, citrus and fern.....what a nice combination.

Who has the best Rose ?

XXWarm Regards, Colleen

Of course, one time of doing that and you remember to hold the container away from your face and use your hand to gently stir the air.
Which is a very good practice when smelling anything unknown! Especially EOs, some of which can be very irritating to skin, certainly the mucous membranes of your nose.

You don't even like rose!
Randy

:lol1: :lol1: Well yes that's true....LOL, but lots of other folks seem to like it, and I'm trying to understand the "why" part....lol.

It's not that I don't like roses......I do...I planted 3 different varieties of Rose last year, I will plant 3 more this year, and then probably 3 more after that....and will make my own rose water. I love how the petals are so soft, and I love to receive a dozen blood red roses and the scent is divine. BUT.....the scent to me is very rich, heady even.....like it should only be taken in small doses...lol.

So rose shaving soaps and creams......Do they reaalllllyyyy smell like a pure blood red rose, or are they balanced with something else ?? For a man...is Rose a type of scent that should linger thru out the day....or is it more soft and fleeting?

Ya know...."Curious George" is probably a more suitable name for me. When I was little I asked my Dad, " why is the sky blue?" and he said, "because that's the color God made the sky"......and my responce......" yeah, but why??" :wink: I just can't seem to help myself...LOL.

Colleen
aka curious george

Hi Colleen --

I have to confess I haven't tried any of the reknown Rose shave creams from the English makers. I have a soap from HoneyBee Sue --it's the 'Victorian Rose' that she makes, and I can tell you that it is wonderful. The scent is somewhat subdued, but very rich at the same time. Does that make any sense? The soap has a very heady aroma when lathered up and does linger somewhat. I managed to pick up some Bigelow products from Bath and Body Works. Bigelow makes a triple rose water, and some rose body lotions. I use them in my shave and as aftershaves when I use the HoneyBee Victorian Rose. It makes for a lovely summertime shave.

I've also acquired a rose shave soap from LtlSuz, that is quite nice as well. It has a pleasant rose fragrance (and provides for a great shave), but I think the HoneyBee rose fragrance has more 'depth'.

Just out of curiosity (see, I can be curious, too), are you intending to make a rose soap or rose scented product line?

-- John Gehman

Hi Colleen --

I have to confess I haven't tried any of the reknown Rose shave creams from the English makers. I have a soap from HoneyBee Sue --it's the 'Victorian Rose' that she makes, and I can tell you that it is wonderful. The scent is somewhat subdued, but very rich at the same time. Does that make any sense? The soap has a very heady aroma when lathered up and does linger somewhat. I managed to pick up some Bigelow products from Bath and Body Works. Bigelow makes a triple rose water, and some rose body lotions. I use them in my shave and as aftershaves when I use the HoneyBee Victorian Rose. It makes for a lovely summertime shave.

I've also acquired a rose shave soap from LtlSuz, that is quite nice as well. It has a pleasant rose fragrance (and provides for a great shave), but I think the HoneyBee rose fragrance has more 'depth'.

Just out of curiosity (see, I can be curious, too), are you intending to make a rose soap or rose scented product line?

-- John Gehman

LOL....I am always happy to meet another curious mind :thumbup:

Yes... I am going to make a rose. I have one formulation under my belt with rose and it received good reviews. It has several 4 or 5 (can't remember off the top of my head) essential oils....but the addition of "rose" was a good quality fragrance oil. not rose otto.....

Even with the blend I have, I still think it's flat somewhere.....its really nice, but lacking something...make sense....?? I have a teeny tiny vial of real rose otto that somedays I dare think to put in a few drops, but its so precious I always chicken out....lol. When I think about it cost wise, I don't know that real rose otto is worth what it would make the soap cost. It just depends on how many drops..... I need to think about it somemore, but this is the factor driving my curiousity at the moment.

Trick question...scent is so subjective. I would say the Old Formulation Taylor of Old Bond Street's Rose is the best...however it is now changed. Coates, Trumpers, eShave, AOS, T&H, Taylors, SCS all have their fans.

Well....this is the nice thing about having a forum full of soapmaker's....LOL. I'm sure that across the board there is something for everyone here, a virtual candy store of shaving goods. What else could a man ask for !!

You're quite right, scent is very subjective. Probably the most interesting thing for me is that certain scents that I really liked when I first started making soaps 4 years ago, no longer appeal to me. I find that my taste in "scent" has changed quite a bit, hmmmm......or perhaps my tastes are becoming more refined.....OH...now there's a thought....LOL. :wink:

Does anyone know why TOBS changed their rose...??

XXWarm Regards, Colleen

Top Bottom