What's new

Shaving cabinet question (reprise)

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I searched a little and this question has been posed previously. But I'd appreciate any fresh thoughts that might be offered.

My son is an Junior in college (KU), majoring in industrial design. He has an interest in building furniture, and picked up that I have my wife checking out estate sales, etc., for something that could serve as a razor cabinet. He asked if I would give him inputs to use in designing one he could build for me. I thought I'd solicit ideas here as well.

Some thoughts I've had include:

• preference for either double glass doors or open shelving with a lip to keep stuff from falling off (single doors stick out too far);
  • toothbrush-style hangers (maybe slotted shelves) for DE razors with no metal on metal contact;
  • probably adjustable shelves;
  • possibly one or more drawers at the bottom to hold small stuff like razors, styptic pencils, etc. that would be better kept in a shallow drawer than junking up a shelf.

If he could produce a good, adaptive design and templates, I thought he might be able to sell a few on eBay and maybe even pick up some custom orders. But this isn't a business ad. I'd just like to collect ideas to pass along. And we'll be happy to share whatever design he comes up with.

I thought about this myself and i realized i didnt need a mirror as i have a mirror to shave in front of already but if you need to get closer or want one in there that wuld be cool,... to me i pictured instead of having a couple of shelves on the bottom have some small draws similar to apothicary draws or the card holders at the library, to hold blades and samples, ome of the smaller things, above that have a shelve with cut outs in it to hold razors, and then on above that with standing brushes, and above that for soaps creams a/s and the likes,... lmao it was a fairly large cabinet i had pictured

Some thoughts I've had include:

• preference for either double glass doors or open shelving with a lip to keep stuff from falling off (single doors stick out too far);
  • toothbrush-style hangers (maybe slotted shelves) for DE razors with no metal on metal contact;
  • probably adjustable shelves;
  • possibly one or more drawers at the bottom to hold small stuff like razors, styptic pencils, etc. that would be better kept in a shallow drawer than junking up a shelf.

I`d prefer a mirror as well.
The sides, bottom and top would be have to be made with a LOT of ventilation holes to make it possible to put wet brushes inthere without having to worry.
Could this be done with rattan, bamboo or teak?

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I thought about this myself and i realized i didnt need a mirror as i have a mirror to shave in front of already but if you need to get closer or want one in there that wuld be cool,... to me i pictured instead of having a couple of shelves on the bottom have some small draws similar to apothicary draws or the card holders at the library, to hold blades and samples, ome of the smaller things, above that have a shelve with cut outs in it to hold razors, and then on above that with standing brushes, and above that for soaps creams a/s and the likes,... lmao it was a fairly large cabinet i had pictured

Thanks for the reply.

Some of your thoughts are along the same lines as mine. What I need/want is a cabinet that could hang on a side wall in the bathroom. I have ample wall space, but a floor-standing cabinet would probably have a deeper footprint than my situation can presently accommodate. So I'd probably split some stuff between the "cabinet" and drawers elsewhere.

Three pics are inserted below that include some design elements that the new piece might incorporate. The first one with bottles, etc., that I placed on it just for demonstration (my wife actually uses it for her craft supplies) is probably a little too wide, but I like the beadboard back and old-timey feel of it. (BTW, the bottles include old Lucky Tiger and Pinaud's Clubman bottles filled with the real stuff, and the roundish one a couple to the right of the pair of Floyd's bottles is very old and has bay leaves on it, so I assume it was intended for Bay Rum.)

I think the purpose of the second piece was to hold plates, but I'm not sure. It's too shallow for most shaving stuff other than maybe razors and/or brushes, but that might be a separate concept.

The third piece is a faux apothecary hutch we have that I included based on your suggestion. Some drawers along those lines could be incorporated at the bottom or even between shelves.

$P1010285.jpg$P1010287.jpg$P1010288.jpg

Top Bottom