What's new

Shavettes are more "unforgiving"

The Parker is better than the Dovo, but the Feather beats them all. After more than a year shaving with several shavettes, aggressive DEs (Muhle 41, 39C slant) and conventional straights, the key to a nice shave is a light touch. Like Doc226 says above, when you can lift the lather off your skin, you will have a nice shave.

Feather/CJB style has been the best for me. I tried a Parker and a dove and some no name that I can't remember. I've received really great shaves with my CJB which takes any of the feather brand. I had to go slow at first but yesterday with most of my full beard I did my entire face for the first time all the way around. With more practice I'll become really good at it.

I don't mean to hijack this thread...but I think my situation may be relevant to the OP's situation. I started with a shavette, and this week transitioned to a traditional straight. I'm only two shaves in on the traditional, and it's a rough transition for me. I keep seeing that it's easier to shave with a normal straight than a shavette...but I am actually experiencing the opposite. I am finding I can't get nearly the same shave with the straight as I can with the shavette. I realize its me...not the razors. It has to be a technique problem. Here's what I am using to make sure we are on the same page:

Shavette -- Weck Stainless Steel (full size) with Fromm blades.
Straight -- Vintage T.I.C. Solingen German made -- professionally honed and stropped before my first use.

The shavette, being all stainess (scales included), is actually heavier than the straight. That was different than I expected.

My beginner impression was that it was immediately apparent that the straight was not as sharp as the Fromm blades. That is to be expected of course. However, I am finding that I am not getting as nice of a shave as with the Fromms. Sure I would get a weeper or two from time to time (not every shave) with the shavette, but I felt like I found the right touch. I was getting nice and close shaves every time and was just working on technique for left side (especially left neck) as I am right handed.

I feel like the straight doesn't cut nearly as well...and leaves lots of little fine hairs that I keep trying to go back and clean up (thus increasing chances for irritation). I never had any of these left with the Fromms. If I had hair left after a shave...it was because I missed a spot rather than it just didn't shave close enough.

Also, for the record, I am shaving only WTG at the moment.

I am not sure if I am looking for advice, or just making a statement. I just wasn't as happy moving from the shavette to the straight as I expected I would be (all other maintenance issues removed). I'm going to stick with it and work on my technique. However, based on my experience alone, I feel like the shavette is MORE FORGIVING of possibly improper technique than a traditional straight.

[shrug]

I don't mean to hijack this thread...but I think my situation may be relevant to the OP's situation. I started with a shavette a couple of weeks ago maybe, and this week transitioned to a traditional straight. I'm only two shaves in on the traditional, and it's a rough transition for me. I keep seeing that it's easier to shave with a normal straight than a shavette...but I am actually experiencing the opposite. I am finding I can't get nearly the same shave with the straight as I can with the shavette. I realize its me...not the razors. It has to be a technique problem. Here's what I am using to make sure we are on the same page:

Shavette -- Weck Stainless Steel (full size) with Fromm blades.
Straight -- Vintage T.I.C. Solingen German made -- professionally honed and stropped before my first use.

The shavette, being all stainess (scales included), is actually heavier than the straight. That was different than I expected.

My beginner impression was that it was immediately apparent that the straight was not as sharp as the Fromm blades. That is to be expected of course. However, I am finding that I am not getting as nice of a shave as with the Fromms. Sure I would get a weeper or two from time to time (not every shave) with the shavette, but I felt like I found the right touch. I was getting nice and close shaves every time and was just working on technique for left side (especially left neck) as I am right handed.

I feel like the straight doesn't cut nearly as well...and leaves lots of little fine hairs that I keep trying to go back and clean up (thus increasing chances for irritation). I never had any of these left with the Fromms. If I had hair left after a shave...it was because I missed a spot rather than it just didn't shave close enough.

Also, for the record, I am shaving only WTG at the moment.

I am not sure if I am looking for advice, or just making a statement. I just wasn't as happy moving from the shavette to the straight as I expected I would be (all other maintenance issues removed). I'm going to stick with it and work on my technique. However, based on my experience alone, I feel like the shavette is MORE FORGIVING of possibly improper technique than a traditional straight.

[shrug]

In my opinion, whatever you use will cut hair i.e. DE, SE, SR, and Shavette. What it comes down to is preference. Do you want to buy blades or hone and strop your own blade?

Top Bottom