What's new

Shavette or Feather Artist Club?

On the advice given by the good people of this forum I decided to buy my son the Feather Club folding DX razor for his birthday. I also bought one pack of each of the Feather blades so he can try them out and see which blade suits him best.

When he unpacked the DX it achieved the WOW! factor that I thought he had outgrown. It was put into use immedietly with a Pro Guard blade, which are the mildest ones. After four shaves on successive days he said it compared to the shavette he has been using like driving a VW Beetle compares to a Ferrari. A present that is both appreciated and used every day.

That's great to hear he appreciates the present, and a DX is a hell of a gift!!

I hope my son (currently just over 2 months old!) is interested in straights and traditional shaving when he grows up!

On the advice given by the good people of this forum I decided to buy my son the Feather Club folding DX razor for his birthday. I also bought one pack of each of the Feather blades so he can try them out and see which blade suits him best.

When he unpacked the DX it achieved the WOW! factor that I thought he had outgrown. It was put into use immedietly with a Pro Guard blade, which are the mildest ones. After four shaves on successive days he said it compared to the shavette he has been using like driving a VW Beetle compares to a Ferrari. A present that is both appreciated and used every day.

Awesome story man :thumbup:

My son is still too young, but I am already setting aside a few razors (DE and Str8) for him to try when he gets older. Of course, it will be up to him, but I hope at least he will try them :wink2:

My son is still too young, but I am already setting aside a few razors (DE and Str8) for him to try when he gets older. Of course, it will be up to him, but I hope at least he will try them :wink2:

Go on, admit it. you really fancy those razors yourself and are using your son as an excuse :wink2:. I must admit that as he is home at the moment I am trying out the brush I bought for my son earlier this year, with his permission. For the last six years my daily brush has been a Shavemac best badger with a 26 mm knot. Lathering with an Omega 106 bristle brush with 28 mm knot and a whopping 65 mm loft is a different feeling, but it lathers as well as the Shavemac and costs about one fifth of the price. It is not as soft on my face as the Shavemac, but I expected it to be a lot more scrubby than it is. Of course I am fortunate in that my son have broken in the brush for me :001_smile.

I did a temporary swap with one of our members. My Kamisori for his feather straight for a couple of weeks. I have straights and I even have a shavette but I was intrigued by the feather straight.
My concern was that it was just a higgggghhhh priced shavette. Well was I surprised!
The feather gave me one of my best 3 pass shaves of all time! I am defiantly going to be picking one up for sure!

Excellent choice!
The Feather razors are more expensive but they are designed for everyday use by a barber. They are heat resistant, chemical resistant, they feel solid and the blades they use are very thick and react like a real straight. At home I even strop my blades and can get up to 10 shaves each. My feather has been dropped stropped, hit, stepped on, soaked in bleach, Quaternary ammonium, boiling water, UV sanitized and appears as though it will still be shiny when my grandchildren are using it.

Last edited:
Parker shavettes are nice (and inexpensive).

Feather Artist Clubs are VERY NICE and much more expensive. And the blades for the Feathers are much more expensive as well.

CJB is a Feather clone from Korea. get them in the Hobbyist classifieds here also available on Ebay.
the link does not work... are these also a non folding razor...??

Excellent choice!
The Feather razors are more expensive but they are designed for everyday use by a barber. They are heat resistant, chemical resistant, they feel solid and the blades they use are very thick and react like a real straight. At home I even strop my blades and can get up to 10 shaves each. My feather has been dropped stropped, hit, stepped on, soaked in bleach, Quaternary ammonium, boiling water, UV sanitized and appears as though it will still be shiny when my grandchildren are using it.

While I agree on the usefulness and robustness of the Feather AC and find them vastly superior to Dovo, Puma or Parker style shavettes, I am somewhat surprised that you say they are designed for everyday use by a barber.

Sometimes I visit barber shops on my trips to experience a shave from a professional and none of these barbers used a Feather AC, which I found hardly surprising considering that the blade would need to be exchanged after every shave and costs approximately 45 cents apiece, while a standard safety razor blade costs about 10 cents and - depending on shavette type - could often be broken in half, effectively serving two customers.

I always thought that the price of the Feather AC blade stood in the way of higher acceptance by professional barbers, but that is of course only if you look at "costs" as part of design features.

B.

I travel to Japan frequently. Feather razors are used in every barbershop over there.

Good to know, and something to look forward to when travelling to Japan.

Whenever I wanted a shave with a Feather AC in Italy, the Near or Middle East, where barber shops are still quite common, I always had to bring my own.

I am just not a fan of shavettes that use DE blades, but admit that they are practical and get the job done.

B.

Top Bottom