What's new

Shavette And Barber Razor Enthusiast (SABRE) group

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I am not sure I ever saw that before. How is it? I like the veggie Speick stick and was going to get more when my current stick is finished, but this would be a good alternative.

On a different note, I was doing some tidying today and took a picture of my shavettes currently on deck in the rotation. You can see my DX has arrived, but I haven't used it yet as I have been enjoying my Sedef!

View attachment 1818754

Not pictured:
  • Type 77, which I don't really get on with.
  • "Strong Leopard" type razor with terrible blade clamping so I don't use it.
  • Several Sanguine Swingbacks. There's nothing wrong with them but I only have space for so many on top of the dresser!
  • Cheap push-type razor with wonky blade exposure.
...I am sure I am missing something but that's all I can think of.
It works about as good as the veggie stick but with a slightly different scent.

Mate that's some collection you got there 👍.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
No offence taken. I was being very tongue in cheek and sometimes the truth hurts! All OK thanks......but at a time I thought it wasn't and suddenly realised that IF I did have to go into hospital.....I wouldn't be able to take any of my paraphernalia with me. Health and Safety etc. I bought an electric to keep myself covered.
I hope and pray you recover soon mate.

Just had my first shave with the Feather SR I bought from @WThomas0814 🍻

I used a Feather Proguard and it was a very comfortable shave, but it doesn’t feel as close as I expected. I’m comparing this to my Dovo Shavette, doing ATG + XTG with both. Is this par for the course with guarded blades, or do I just need to adjust my angle and/or pressure?

IMG_3299.jpeg

Growth: 2 day beard (AM shave)
Prep: Warm shower: Stirling Sheep bar soap
Pre: None
Brush: Maggard Razors 24mm premium boar knot with Maggard Razors sky blue 25mm handle
Lather: Van Der Hagen Select Shave Soap
Load Bowl: Old Spice Mug
Lather Bowl: Old Spice Mug

Razor: Kai Captain Standard R-Type Folding Razor
Blade: Kai Captain Titan ProTouch MG (D7)

Razor: CJB GR-100B kamisori razor
Blade: Kai Captain Titan ProTouch MG (D7)

Third pass:
Razor: Schick 500 Injector Razor
Blade: Chinese Schick (D7+)

3 pass mustache and chin area, 2 pass neck, 1 pass elsewhere. Touch up pass on the right side of the neck.

Last documented time I shaved with the CJB was May of 2020, so it has been a while since I have used it. Several other razors in other blade formats as well as other AC style razors (safety and barber style) have distracted me from using the CJB. My lather has improved since then for this type of shave (have gone for a wetter, sloppier lather). I shaved on the right with the CJB and on the left with the Kai. I had three nicks from the CJB. I had one bad weeper on my neck but I think that was from me getting over zealous with the Schick on a cleanup pass. Zero nicks from the Kai. I would say the blade feel of these two razors were comparable. I would say the Kai was a little bit smoother and shaved a hair closer than the CJB (but the results between both razors was almost identical). Historically, the handle of the CJB could get slippery when wet, so I would say the Kai has a better grip. I would say the CJB loaded the wet blade better than the Feather SR folding did in my previous comparison shave. Maybe someday I will do a comparison of the Feather SR kamisori vs. the CJB kamisori. From my research, the CJB is a clone of the Feather RG and has a similar head to the Feather DX (which I now own). Maybe the comparison would have been better between the CJB and the Feather DX.

I switched to the Schick 500 for the third pass for chin and mustache and touch up pass on the right side of my neck.

I used a Feather Proguard and it was a very comfortable shave, but it doesn’t feel as close as I expected. I’m comparing this to my Dovo Shavette, doing ATG + XTG with both. Is this par for the course with guarded blades, or do I just need to adjust my angle and/or pressure?

View attachment 1818942
I looked up my notes for using the Feather SR with Feather ProGuard blades and a close shave is possible with that combination (or at least it was for my beard). I would suggest trying a different angle and make sure your lather is sloppy wet. I stretched my skin by rubbing my wet fingers in alum first to get a good grip. Some days I find that a guarded blade isn't efficient for how much growth I have and I switch to an unguarded blade. I think also it takes several shaves to get the feel of the SR and dial it in. Perseverance wins the day.

View attachment 1818942
Give it some try. Judge after 7 shaves. I am sure you will find the perfect shave. I don't have your shavette but I do enjoy that blade a lot !

Is this par for the course with guarded blades, or do I just need to adjust my angle and/or pressure?

I think if you are used to using unguarded blades with other razors you should at least give them a try. I have only used Protouch MGs (I do have a lone Feather Proguard in a sampler but I never got around to it) but I do find that the guard is a hindrance, rather than a help. I know I am not alone in this.

I stretched my skin by rubbing my wet fingers in alum first to get a good grip.
You know, I’ve seen that technique used before, but I don’t have an alum block to try it with. Alum always seemed like just another thing to buy, and I’m content with aftershave as my post-shave treatment. Now you’re making me think about picking up a block for skin stretching. Right now I just use a piece of toilet paper for grip.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I think if you are used to using unguarded blades with other razors you should at least give them a try. I have only used Protouch MGs (I do have a lone Feather Proguard in a sampler but I never got around to it) but I do find that the guard is a hindrance, rather than a help. I know I am not alone in this.
For me the guarded blades were not easy to shave with, especially around the goatee area. They seemed to skip and snag on my whiskers. When I went to unguarded blades the problem went away, I still have a small stash of them but I've no intention on using them.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
You know, I’ve seen that technique used before, but I don’t have an alum block to try it with. Alum always seemed like just another thing to buy, and I’m content with aftershave as my post-shave treatment. Now you’re making me think about picking up a block for skin stretching. Right now I just use a piece of toilet paper for grip.
I used toilet paper once, but found that when it go damp the grip starts to go in it. Alum is much better, well for me anyway 😁.

I think I picked up an alum block on clearance with a cracked case at Maggard Razors or another vendor and it was pretty cheap. I am still on the same block and it has been years. Something about the minerals in the alum that allow you to get a good grip with slick skin. It also works for some slick razor handles as well (as I used it on my CJB). I usually use Stirling Soap Company's unscented witch hazel with aloe for a post shave followed by a balm or moisturizer. I probably use the alum more for skin stretching than for post shave but sometimes I use it for post shave if I had a couple of nicks (instead of using a styptic pencil or 'my nick is sealed' roll on).

Those crystal deodorants work in the same way, and are also inexpensive in some places.

@Goblin

Did you have a chance to try Feather Dx? How was it for you? Does the clone shaves similar to it?

I haven't yet. It's going to be a few shaves before I get around to it, as I want to finish off the blade that's currently in my SR, and I have an Ali Byikli ready for tomorrow's shave. I am really enjoying these cheap Turkish razors.

Many times if you find them on Amazon or eBay people are asking silly money for them, >£5, but I think in Turkey they cost less than €1 each. Cosmetically they are what you would expect for that price, but the shaves are great.

I had another excellent shave with Kai Clone plus Kai Protouch (9th). Every time I use this shavette I say to myself to remember that it can cut, because I can shave with it in auto pilot and I never have a cut.

If chinesse shops would make AC these shavettes in stainless steel, that would really be tempting for me. Hope they read me though.
:D

BTHW I saw two interesting De shavettes in Aliexpress. One had blade corners protected (I have been looking for) and another was similar to the turkish shavettes but with a plastic insert (safer).

Last edited:
I just got my hands on some Schick P-30 blades and tried one in my SR. I got a DFS with little effort and no irritation.

IMG_3330.jpeg

I'll continue to switch between these and my guarded blades, but I have a feeling I’ll end up trading most of my Proguards for some unguarded blades.

The SR continues to impress me. I’m enjoying getting a straight-like shaving experience without the extra work.

Many times if you find them on Amazon or eBay people are asking silly money for them, >£5, but I think in Turkey they cost less than €1 each. Cosmetically they are what you would expect for that price, but the shaves are great.

I think I paid 20 bucks for six Sedefs with 100 blades on the 'bay, from a seller in New Jersey. Even though I obviously don't need six, I couldn't bring myself to pay $7-$8 for a single razor.

Top Bottom