What's new

Shavette And Barber Razor Enthusiast (SABRE) group

I've got the wood Kai, and the head on that one is the most unique/different of the Kai lineup. It's got the ridges/depressions in the hollow of the blade holder, and a slight bump at the edge. The spine is noticeably thinner than my DX Woody, but a hair wider than my SS and SR.

The Kai Woody (CAP-RW) may be my best shaver in terms of comfort and ease of use. I wish Kai offered it in the Japanese style, which I am coming to prefer over the folders.

View attachment 1808972

What about this? It is not a Woody versión but the rest is all the same.
IMG_20240322_145527.jpg

It's strange to me that someone at Kai looked at that and thought, "Yeah...that's it!"
I guess the design is more ergonomic than elegant. I'll give you another example with the Kai Excelia, two kamisori. The first, the one made of steel and aluminum, the second one with a rubber handle, the blue one. The grip is better on the blue even with wet hands. It is not so aesthetically pleasing but it is ergonomic and functional.

IMG_20240322_191451.jpg

I guess the design is more ergonomic than elegant. I'll give you another example with the Kai Excelia, two kamisori.

I am sure you are right - it's done for the ergonomics. I still couldn't live with the appearance of the thing though (apologies to anyone who has one).

The Excelia, on the other hand, is a thing of beauty...in a sort of industrial, heavy-duty kind of way.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
That's odd. I bought my wood DX on ebay from Japan and it passed through customs very quickly, with no action required by me. Wonder why?
It was odd to me too... Feather ships these razors all over the world... as do Japanese suppliers on eBay... That's where I bought mine... 97.9% rated outfit. I think it was an overzealous Custom agent... I mean... What do they think Feather is doing? Using an exotic wood that's banned worldwide for their barber handles?

Got a Fromm 107 and some Personna hair shaper blades and the shave turned out pretty well considering it was my first time doing a SR style shave. I did a lot of research and went slow. Now I gotta get a Weck, the Fromm is honestly pretty flimsy and has a few flaws but it works for now.

Last edited:
I thought I would dig out the Sedef (or Ali Biyikli as they seem to be nowadays) and have a go at fitting a Type 77 blade, as per @albsat's earlier post. Alas, with the Rhinoceros blades this doesn't work. A full blade is too wide and has way too much blade exposure, but a snapped blade is too narrow and gets swallowed up by the arms.

So, I stuck half a Permasharp Stainless in and had a shave with that. Great shave. I know some folks don't get on with these razors but I think they are fine shavers given how simplistic they are - that flat head allows a really shallow angle. I would prefer a bit more weight overall, but you can't have everything. I ought to use this razor more often - it's not just a "novelty", it's a genuine performer!

20240323_114501.jpg

I thought I would dig out the Sedef (or Ali Biyikli as they seem to be nowadays) and have a go at fitting a Type 77 blade, as per @albsat's earlier post. Alas, with the Rhinoceros blades this doesn't work. A full blade is too wide and has way too much blade exposure, but a snapped blade is too narrow and gets swallowed up by the arms.

So, I stuck half a Permasharp Stainless in and had a shave with that. Great shave. I know some folks don't get on with these razors but I think they are fine shavers given how simplistic they are - that flat head allows a really shallow angle. I would prefer a bit more weight overall, but you can't have everything. I ought to use this razor more often - it's not just a "novelty", it's a genuine performer!

View attachment 1816930
Sorry to hear that you couldn't inset the A77.

I used a half blade A77 in the turkish shavette. Once you insert it (the hardest part is to open that end area that is not made for the De blade) then you need to adjust the exposure by pushing the sides of the blade till the desired blade exposure.

I have been thinking to insert some metal to fill the space so that the A77 can fit normally.

However rest sure that the blade once inserted it will not move. I might try to make a video how to fix the blade if you want to.

Cheers

Sorry to hear that you couldn't inset the A77.

I used a half blade A77 in the turkish shavette. Once you insert it (the hardest part is to open that end area that is not made for the De blade) then you need to adjust the exposure by pushing the sides of the blade till the desired blade exposure.

Ah! I did wonder if you were fiddling with it like that. I might have another go then, although it did seem like trying to get it right was just asking for a cut finger!

Top Bottom