What's new

Shavette And Barber Razor Enthusiast (SABRE) group

Today I couldn't resist so I shaved with my Universal De Full blade shavette. This one has a very small balde exposure. I cut the corners of a fresh Astra blade with a scissor and rubbed them against a piece of glass to smooth them. I got an excellent two pass shave leaving my skin smooth. Totally surprised.

It is this kind of shaves that make me overconfident but I never trust a De shavette. A proguard or a protouch blade is a blood free shave guarantee, a De blade with protected corners (or no corners) should come close.

Today was an excellent shave with generic push-in shavette with Wilkinson Sword half-blade (#31,32) face and head shave. I wonder how long will this blade last!?
IMG_20220618_103015.jpg

I cut the corners of a fresh Astra blade with a scissor and rubbed them against a piece of glass to smooth them.
This corner cutting - is for avoiding cuts, am I right?
I do need those corners because otherwise I am anable to remove whisker right below my nose. This rolling movement from 90 to 0 degree is most dangerous in my shaving. I never fully succseed with that . Therefore I need corners to remove wiskers under my nose with XTG movement. Otherwise I not able to reach them.

This corner cutting - is for avoiding cuts, am I right?
I do need those corners because otherwise I am anable to remove whisker right below my nose. This rolling movement from 90 to 0 degree is most dangerous in my shaving. I never fully succseed with that . Therefore I need corners to remove wiskers under my nose with XTG movement. Otherwise I not able to reach them.
Yes. I do need the corners in that area too but it still works.

This is how the blade turned out. I was very careful to keep the razor at low angle and the shave was as good as with an ac blade.
IMG_20220618_101057~2.jpg

Another great shave with the AC clone razor. This is really a nice affordable shavette! The blade used was a kai Captain (5th). I love and hate this blade. It is the smoothest one I have tried. You hardly feel it in the skin. However it is ready to bite even though you are thinking that you are not making a mistake in your movements. I will try Kai Mild next week.

Shaves #35,36 with Wilkinson Sword half-blade in generic push-in shavette. Head and face shave. This blade have begun to be so buttery smooth. I attemped even fools pass that I don't do usually. BBS everywhere exept neck.
img_20220618_103015-jpg.1474132
Do you ever get a bite from this razor?

No ! Never !
Seriously ? Of course it happens sometimes. But rarely. I believe I saw my first red first after 30th open blade shave. I became overconfident - and then it bites. Put the blade carelessly on my face or some stupid movements.
This is a common knowledge on this forum that shavettes and especially DE-shavettes are bloodthirsty. I did not know that. And do not experience this. I enjoy shavette shaving. It is zen-experience I look forward to. I would like to use a real straight but I know I am unable to maintain the edge and don't even enjoy it.
What concerns this very shavette - it is my first and one of my favorite. It is small and maneuverable and nimble. It has a good built-in shave angle. I drag the spine on my face and use ca 45 degree slicing movement and very light touch. It is hard to get sliced that way, I believe. If I see blood it is under my left nostril or under my jawline where the face curvature is extreme. Or if careless anywhere on my face or even body.

Brothers, I have been shaving with a straight razor last week. It is a pain to maintain as it is a new thing for me, but somehow I loved one thing from it. The blade feel after the shave is really nice and it leaves the skin so smooth.

Today I shave with the AC razor clone with a Feather Proguard (5). I tried to replicate the straight razor. feeling. I found that I can improve my shavette shaves. Angle and light touch were the key. I tried to keep the lightest possible touch, adjusting the angle everytime I felt the blade. Uhh, I had a great comfortable shave with the shavette today. I totally enjoyed it.

Anyone uses both straight razors and shavettes in his rotation regularly?

Anyone uses both straight razors and shavettes in his rotation regularly?
I guess ‘technically’ I should turn in my SABRE card as my beloved Feather DX sees little use nowadays, but I like to hang out here and try to provide useful information. I did dry shave a few random hairs last week that were annoying me with a Pro Guard blade… my DX being the only razor that permanently lives in the bathroom.

Another nice shave with Ac clone razor using the Feather Proguard blade. I lost count on how many shaves I am using this blade.

I think that maybe I have an explanation why sometimes I get bad shaves with a shavette.

I have been using a straight razor, about 7 shaves. I use another type of passes with it as I need to find the right angle because the blade is not that sharp. It is a totally different way to shave compared to the shavette.

So I have tried to imitate this "straight razor technique" with a shavette. It made realised that when you come from De razor to a shavette razor, you try to imitate the De style, which is long passes and a bit using the weight of the razor. Now if I imitate the straight razor style, which short passes, very light touch on skin, no blade feeling, I am getting fantastic shaves with the proguard blade. Smooth skin and no cuts. Yet the straight razor is much less prone to cause damage, but a Proguard blade helps a lot in this area.

My next shave will be with a sharp blade and see how it goes for me.

Today's shave was with a Kai Captain blade. Using same technique (small passes, no blade feeling on skin) I got an excellent 2 pass shave under 22 minutes in total. I am impressed with myself. :D
The Kai CAPTAIN blade is a very smooth and sharp blade. H

So, an AC shavette can give excellent shaves but due to the blade sharpness it doesn't let you do any error . The straight razor is more forgiving and a little better in post shaving. It needs razor maintenance also, which divided the world among us shavette users.

Top Bottom