What's new

Shavette And Barber Razor Enthusiast (SABRE) group

I get up to 15 shaves from Feather Professional blades. I finished today my 25th shave of Wilkinson Sword half-blade,.Still going strong. Nothing beats wilkie for me.

G

Guest2023

HI. I'm first timer in this club. I normally use safety razors and straight razors but recently got interest on AC straight razors. So I purchased CJB as my first AC straight razor and quite like it. I want to add one more razor so I've read this thread carefully and noticed Mythus is frequently mentioned. I'm considering to purchase one. Could anyone tell me how shaving with CJB is different from Mythus? If they are quite similar, I don't think I need to purchase Mythus.

HI. I'm first timer in this club. I normally use safety razors and straight razors but recently got interest on AC straight razors. So I purchased CJB as my first AC straight razor and quite like it. I want to add one more razor so I've read this thread carefully and noticed Mythus is frequently mentioned. I'm considering to purchase one. Could anyone tell me how shaving with CJB is different from Mythus? If they are quite similar, I don't think I need to purchase Mythus.
I don't have CJB but I have a clone from AliExpress which many say it is the same as Mythus. I am totally enjoying it with a Kai Protouch blade.

Someone will respond for sure.

Anybody up for a two for the price of one Slasher Flick?

070EF804-975B-410A-8B3F-79E4550FDF44.jpeg

Chinese shavettes came in today, that is the last time I use that word in this post. The quality is about what you expect for the price. I was only really disappointed with the plastiwood scales. They actually look really nice, which actually made me more annoyed as they are anything but nice. Everything is straight and functions so that's a decent start. Weight is on the heavier side of normal for a straight and much more than any half blade razor, a plus generally.

Let's get the gore out of the way first, well potential gore. Sorry no actual blood was sacrificed. The DE bladed razor on the right is an advanced tool, full stop. The additional width, there is a full blade in there, is really nice compared to half blade razors. I believe there is enough rigidity to avoid blade chatter, you won't have a chance to test that. It is AGGRESSIVE and I have a Kai in there, by that I mean it wants to cut you. It has been some time since I have had that feeling about a razor, but it all came back to me in an instant. You have to float the razor on very wet lather and even then you can feel the edge with the "blade" flat on your face. Go ahead and make yourself a Youbube hero with a 30degree angle, I will laugh at you! If it feels like you are starting to get irritation, you stop right now. I don't mean that like I am telling you to, I mean you won't have a choice. This thing will plough through anything without any pressure and you better not slip sideways or you are getting gills! It's a good thing this blade is at it's expiration date, I am going to have to test this thing with even less sharp blades. On the plus side, If you have the skill to handle it, it is really something to use. It's not enjoyable, tough not uncomfortable, to use because it wants to cut you and it's not hiding it.

Now for the main event that everybody is here for, The Barber Razor. Yes, it earns that title. This is the closest thing to shaving with a real straight, bar none(Tadalus?). It's cheap enough to buy that I am going to be recommending this to anybody uncertain about jumping into straights, in fact I may have to stock up on them due to the shipment time. After carefully trying the other one on one side of my face, the difference with this one is apparent immediately. The unknown Chinese blade is as smooth and sharp as any Chinese or Indian DE blade and in fact it has two edges, you flip it around when one is done. It's not as sharp as my Kai and it's not just the additional exposure, but it's close. It's probably sharper than an Astra SP, but not quite Silver Blue. The blades are longer like a straight razor and the razor width is probably close to a 5/8. The shave, for somebody familiar with straights, is so easy. There is no bitey edge feel like AC blades, maybe these aren't as keen. It has no resistance through my tough beard, but it feels like it needs that typical straight razor nudge. I was able to go over spots repeatedly with the blade hovering without any irritation, you can't do that with AC blades. It's really hard to describe the shave because it is so close to straight shaving and so different from AC shaving. If I had to come up with a downside it would be the toe. The heel is fine and is intuitive to find the end of the edge, but the amount of tip out in front of the toe is rather annoying. I can work with it and can find the end of the edge, but it is visual only and waists some time. There is no pokey toe unfortunately. I think a fun mod would be to grind off the tip. For those new to using open razors, it's extra safe.

Last edited:
Anybody up for a two for the price of one Slasher Flick?

View attachment 1460847

Chinese shavettes came in today, that is the last time I use that word in this post. The quality is about what you expect for the price. I was only really disappointed with the plastiwood scales. They actually look really nice, which actually made me more annoyed as they are anything but nice. Everything is straight and functions so that's a decent start. Weight is on the heavier side of normal for a straight and much more than any half blade razor, a plus generally.

Let's get the gore out of the way first, well potential gore. Sorry no actual blood was sacrificed. The DE bladed razor on the right is an advanced tool, full stop. The additional width, there is a full blade in there, is really nice compared to half blade razors. I believe there is enough rigidity to avoid blade chatter, you won't have a chance to test that. It is AGGRESSIVE and I have a Kai in there, by that I mean it wants to cut you. It has been some time since I have had that feeling about a razor, but it all came back to me in an instant. You have to float the razor on very wet lather and even then you can feel the edge with the "blade" flat on your face. Go ahead and make yourself a Youbube hero with a 30degree angle, I will laugh at you! If it feels like you are starting to get irritation, you stop right now. I don't mean that like I am telling you to, I mean you won't have a choice. This thing will plough through anything without any pressure and you better not slip sideways or you are getting gills! It's a good thing this blade is at it's expiration date, I am going to have to test this thing with even less sharp blades. On the plus side, If you have the skill to handle it, it is really something to use. It's not enjoyable, tough not uncomfortable, to use because it wants to cut you and it's not hiding it.

Now for the main event that everybody is here for, The Barber Razor. Yes, it earns that title. This is the closest thing to shaving with a real straight, bar none(Tadalus?). It's cheap enough to buy that I am going to be recommending this to anybody uncertain about jumping into straights, in fact I may have to stock up on them due to the shipment time. After carefully trying the other one on one side of my face, the difference with this one is apparent immediately. The unknown Chinese blade is as smooth and sharp as any Chinese or Indian DE blade and in fact it has two edges, you flip it around when one is done. It's not as sharp as my Kai and it's not just the additional exposure, but it's close. It's probably sharper than an Astra SP, but not quite Silver Blue. The blades are longer like a straight razor and the razor width is probably close to a 5/8. The shave, for somebody familiar with straights, is so easy. There is no bitey edge feel like AC blades, maybe these aren't as keen. It has no resistance through my tough beard, but it feels like it needs that typical straight razor nudge. I was able to go over spots repeatedly with the blade hovering without any irritation, you can't do that with AC blades. It's really hard to describe the shave because it is so close to straight shaving and so different from AC shaving. If I had to come up with a downside it would be the toe. The heel is fine and is intuitive to find the end of the edge, but the amount of tip out in front of the toe is rather annoying. I can work with it and can find the end of the edge, but it is visual only and waists some time. There is no pokey toe unfortunately. I think a fun mod would be to grind off the tip. For those new to using open razors, it's extra safe.
Enjoy it man. There is a long past discussion for these razors. Used to be more sellers of them in aliexpress too.

I might rebuy the long metal version in the future.

I got the 10th shave with a Kai Protouch with my AC razor clone (11 shave in it). I enjoy so much its design under the nose. I thought that the blade was becoming dull but not. Strangely I got 2 tiny weepers that were gone with a splash of aluminum block. The shave was fantastic though. I ordered some more AC blade samples. 13 euros plus shipping for 11 blades....Man, these blades are expansive compared to DE.

Which is your best DE shavette + blade combo that gives you comfortable shaves (no risk of bites) ? My Universal shavette is excellent in comfort but somehow it bites me when I don't expect it. Glad to read about your preferred DE shavette.

P.s. Got an excellent 11th shave with Kai Protouch around 15 minutes. Getting faster. My goal is to get between 20-24 comfortable shaves with it. Will I get that amount if shaves out of it ? Let's see.

Last edited:
My Universal shavette is excellent in comfort but somehow it bites me when I don't expect it.
This is probably full edge length management. Meaning that you are shaving an area with the toe and unexpectedly get bit in an area you weren’t paying attention to. Sometimes I gently rest the blade where I intend to finish a stroke and the toe, in my case, immediately pokes me. It’s not always the start of the stroke, but sometimes near the end. Laying the blade where you want to end up helps visualize how to get there and occasionally tells you that’s not where you want to end up! Strangely, a regular straight with it’s longer blade is more forgiving somehow.

Today I gave another try to the Universal Lama intera shavette. I did something different. I cut the blade corners with a scissor this time. The shave went very nice with a minor weeper (that went away with water splash). I don't know if cut of corners helped, but I will give this shavette another try.

I like the weight and feeling at hand of the Universal shavette. Maybe I should buy a shavette that covers the balde corners.

Today I gave another try to the Universal Lama intera shavette. I did something different. I cut the blade corners with a scissor this time. The shave went very nice with a minor weeper (that went away with water splash). I don't know if cut of corners helped, but I will give this shavette another try.

I like the weight and feeling at hand of the Universal shavette. Maybe I should buy a shavette that covers the balde corners.
Maybe it would be a better idea to dull the corner on glass instead of cut it?

Great tip. I will try it next time.

I am thinking of getting a Vanta De shavette also as that brand covers the corners. It's just that this shavette is very thin.
If you are going to try it, I would do it with the blade in the razor that way it controls how much you do. If the glass is too hard to work with, watch your fingers, you can probably find something else very hard. Be careful though as glass will smoosh the sharpness down, other materials might make it ragged.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
If you are going to try it, I would do it with the blade in the razor that way it controls how much you do. If the glass is too hard to work with, watch your fingers, you can probably find something else very hard. Be careful though as glass will smoosh the sharpness down, other materials might make it ragged.
Most of us, even non-honers, have some sort of grind stone around, don't we? I know I have several. I think the highest grit I have is 1000, could be 2000, I forget, but just a light stroke over a grind stone would do it, wouldn't it?

I just checked. I have a Lee Valley Tool 1000/4000 water stone.

I shaved today with Universal De razor using a Astra blade (2nd shave) and a bit of clean up with the ac clone using the Kai proguard blade (12th shave) . What else can be said?

The Universal is fantastic De razor and cutting the corners help. I believe they are the reason why this razor bites me. The ac razor clone with the proguard is on the other the most comfortable combo to get a shave bloodfree and in total control.
Now I just want to find out how many comfortable shaves I can get with this Kai proguard shave. I will post again here when I will toss it.

I counted my shaves with a shavette and I am around 20 shaves in total. Average shaving time is 15 minutes now. So far it has been a great journey.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Third shave with the Sedef barber razor. Slight weepers above left jawline on first pass. Otherwise, this close to expert with it. Three passes and slight cleanup for a socially remonstrable shave

Top Bottom