What's new

Shavette And Barber Razor Enthusiast (SABRE) group

I'm curious to know if they work with the sliding mechanism of the Vanta full blade.
Also from a video on youtube the blade seems wider, meaning it could have more exposure.

Keep us posted (at your own pace).

I'm curious to know if they work with the sliding mechanism of the Vanta full blade.
Also from a video on youtube the blade seems wider, meaning it could have more exposure.

Keep us posted (at your own pace).
I don't have a Vanta, but from the looks of it, I would expect it to fit. They have the same notches that rest against the posts of the Vanta.

Thought I’d cross post this here since not everybody is on theOCtober thread...

I used my Durham Duplex “Domino” razor for the first time today. I’ve had this razor for a while but never dared to uae it until now. My caution was well founded. The razor has a good design and seems very intuitive to use. The blade seemed to start out fine but before long it refused to cut. No telling how old they are. Old carbon steel blades just don’t store well. It’s pictured below with the Weck hair shaper from when I bought them.

The picture shows that ihave the guard for the Weck around here somewhere 😒

Unboxing the my new shavette razor that uses DE blade. KureNai GF35 from HRICO Razors Manufacture Factory Showing Store

The first shave

P.S. Sorry for the mistakes, I use English translation software when writing messages.
I've got three shaves in with mine. I am not a big fan of half-DE shavettes, but I am a Kai Captain user (which this razor was modeled after). I was quite impressed.

How do you like it so far?

SOTD KureNai1.jpg

Thought I’d cross post this here since not everybody is on theOCtober thread...

I used my Durham Duplex “Domino” razor for the first time today. I’ve had this razor for a while but never dared to uae it until now. My caution was well founded. The razor has a good design and seems very intuitive to use. The blade seemed to start out fine but before long it refused to cut. No telling how old they are. Old carbon steel blades just don’t store well. It’s pictured below with the Weck hair shaper from when I bought them.

The picture shows that ihave the guard for the Weck around here somewhere 😒
I bought that same Durham Duplex & Weck combo from ebay about a year ago (minus the blades). I know tryablade carries a feather blade that should work in the Durham. One of these days, I'll give it a try.

I bought that same Durham Duplex & Weck combo from ebay about a year ago (minus the blades). I know tryablade carries a feather blade that should work in the Durham. One of these days, I'll give it a try.
Mine came from different vendors in the same antique mall. Looks like it’s the Personna blades on that page that are compatible with the Durham. I too am curious about them.

How do you like it so far?
I also have turkish shavette and the bluebeards bevenge shavette.
HRICO KureNai GF35 impressed me, I like it. While there was one shave, maybe later I will answer more broadly.

P.S. Sorry for the mistakes, I use English translation software when writing messages.

So I have a question regarding Feather DX Kamisori. Given that the materials are superb and the craftsmanship appears to be excellent, the DX Artist Club's price appears to be justified when stacked against other options in its price range.
So I purchased one, treated it with care and 3 weeks into it I squeezed the clamp to insert a blade and the entire clamp section slid off the pins. After that it only took a slight sideways force to move the clamp out of position. So I returned it.

I'm rather surprised by this. Very atypical for a reputable Japanese manufacturer.
Has anyone else had anything like this happen to them with any Feather Artist Club?
I'm curious as to the failure ratio. I really liked it but I'm currently "once bitten twice shy."

Mine came from different vendors in the same antique mall. Looks like it’s the Personna blades on that page that are compatible with the Durham. I too am curious about them.
The Durham Duplex is a wonderfully smooth shaver with the Personna blades from TryaBlade.

The neat thing is that these blades are stroppable. I have over 50 shaves on my first blade with no signs of dying. I strop it every 5-10 shaves. Note that I like my blades buttery smooth and dislike the harsh sharp feeling of a new blade, so you will not get that many shaves if your preferences are not aligned with mine.

Note that I have the stropper attachment with my Durham. You cannot strop the blade with the comb guard.

So I have a question regarding Feather DX Kamisori. Given that the materials are superb and the craftsmanship appears to be excellent, the DX Artist Club's price appears to be justified when stacked against other options in its price range.
So I purchased one, treated it with care and 3 weeks into it I squeezed the clamp to insert a blade and the entire clamp section slid off the pins. After that it only took a slight sideways force to move the clamp out of position. So I returned it.

I'm rather surprised by this. Very atypical for a reputable Japanese manufacturer.
Has anyone else had anything like this happen to them with any Feather Artist Club?
I'm curious as to the failure ratio. I really liked it but I'm currently "once bitten twice shy."
I'm not sure I understand the problem. Every razor of this type allows these two pieces to be separated by a simple sliding motion. That gives you the option of doing a thorough cleaning and/or drying. Did anything appear to be bent or broken?

I also have turkish shavette and the bluebeards bevenge shavette.
HRICO KureNai GF35 impressed me, I like it. While there was one shave, maybe later I will answer more broadly.

The translator is working well. There is no need to apologize. I would love to know more about your experience with the KuerNai after you have used it a few more times.

Is your Turkish shavette a Sedef?

The Durham Duplex is a wonderfully smooth shaver with the Personna blades from TryaBlade.

The neat thing is that these blades are stroppable. I have over 50 shaves on my first blade with no signs of dying. I strop it every 5-10 shaves. Note that I like my blades buttery smooth and dislike the harsh sharp feeling of a new blade, so you will not get that many shaves if your preferences are not aligned with mine.

Note that I have the stropper attachment with my Durham. You cannot strop the blade with the comb guard.
I never knew there was such an attachment. It makes a lot of sense. The grind of the blade looks like it would be easy to hone or strop. Are the Personna blades carbon or stainless steel? Try a blade doesn’t say.

Is your Turkish shavette a Sedef?
The manufacturer is unknown to me, there are no markings on the razor handle. This turkish shavette is similar in design, slightly different in the shape of the razor handle, and has no relation to Sedef or Ali Biyikli.

I will write about the experience with HRICO KureNai GF35 later. I have some thoughts and impressions, but I need a little more time to describe my experience more accurately.

I never knew there was such an attachment. It makes a lot of sense. The grind of the blade looks like it would be easy to hone or strop. Are the Personna blades carbon or stainless steel? Try a blade doesn’t say.
Here's a picture of the stropping attachment (upper right thingy in the pic below). It's actually a shaving attachment for when you want to shave with a bare blade like a real straight, but works just as good to hold the blade for stropping. It's got a "curl" where the spine would be to use as a reference in finding your angle.

The Personna blades are definitely carbon steel. They rust if you don't dry them after shaving.
proxy.php

Here's a picture of the stropping attachment (upper right thingy in the pic below). It's actually a shaving attachment for when you want to shave with a bare blade like a real straight, but works just as good to hold the blade for stropping. It's got a "curl" where the spine would be to use as a reference in finding your angle.

The Personna blades are definitely carbon steel. They rust if you don't dry them after shaving.
proxy.php
Interesting looking device. Pretty simple but probably not something you could make at home!

Those blades are probably made in the Verona Virginia plant. I wonder what their intended use is. The market for Durham Duplex blades can't be very big.

It appears that the KureNai half-DE shavette (sold by HRICO on Aliexpress and modeled after the basic design of the Kai Captain) is becoming quite popular. I'm seeing more and more of them on the forums and on social media.

I just noticed that HRICO is now selling a fixed-handle version for the same price as the folding version.

For reference, a UK-based company called Dark Stag has been selling these razors (with a shinier finish and embossed logo) for about 43-50 GBP. These KureNai razors are quite a bargain.

I also learned that that HRICO is selling a fixed-handle clone of the Kai Captain Zebrano. I'm told that the Zebrano is basically Kai's answer to the Feather SS (i.e. a "lipped" profile).

I'm interested in that Kay Wood clone, but only if they come out with a folding version and in more Kurenai reviews/comments.
Does anyone own a kurenai hald-de and a Universal? I'm asking because they both seem to have less blade exposure.

Top Bottom