What's new

Shavette And Barber Razor Enthusiast (SABRE) group

I'm interested in that Kay Wood clone, but only if they come out with a folding version and in more Kurenai reviews/comments.
Does anyone own a kurenai hald-de and a Universal? I'm asking because they both seem to have less blade exposure.
Not sure what you mean by "Universal". Maybe an auto-correct from Univinlions? If that's the case, I do have both KureNai (half-DE) and Univinlions Kai clone (AC blade, non-folding).

I'll work on getting you some close-ups and hard numbers, but I can say that the Univinlions has substantial blade exposure with the the Feather Pro Supers. See my SOTD pic below.
20191011_081141.jpg

The Kure-Nai has considerably less exposure than the Univinlio/Pro-Super combo, more along the line of the Parker SR1 half-DE shavette. Pic below shows the KureNai compared to a genuine Kai Captain w/ a Kai mild blade. I'd say the KureNai has just a tiny bit less exposure.

20190930_230405.jpg

My guess he's referring to my desert island razor, the Universal Rasoio a Mano Libera full-DE blade shavette from Italy.
proxy.php
Rudy,

Your vast knowledge of shavettes is quite impressive! That is a very nice razor.

Thanks for clarifying.

Rob

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

That is a very nice razor.
It's more than a nice razor - it's the single best shaving instrument I own.

... and thanks for the vote of confidence, but it doesn't take vast knowledge to recognize when someone mentions your favorite razor ;-)

@rudyt exactly that Universal.
From what I've seen/read, those two DE type shavettes, along with the Vanta, have less blade exposure.
I just wanted to know how different of similar they shave.

@rudyt exactly that Universal.
From what I've seen/read, those two DE type shavettes, along with the Vanta, have less blade exposure.
I just wanted to know how different of similar they shave.
Given that I do not own a Universal, I can't answer your question directly. Pic below is a side-by-side comparison between the KureNai and my Parker SR1. Both are pictured with the same Derby Pro blade. The KureNai has slightly less blade exposure.

proxy.php

I'm curious to know if they work with the sliding mechanism of the Vanta full blade.
Also from a video on youtube the blade seems wider, meaning it could have more exposure.

Keep us posted (at your own pace).
Finally had a chance to give this a full review. I did a 3 pass shave with this blade in my Parker SR1. I probably could have gotten away with 2 passes and some touch up. Result was a perfect BBS. Overall, I would say that this blade noticeably more forgiving than a standard DE blade, but still nowhere near as forgiving as AC shavettes.

Additional observations:

Comparison to derby precut ("saloon") half-DE blade
proxy.php

As shown below, there is a fair bit of slop between the SR1's alignment pins and the alignment holes of the blade. This can result in quite a variation of blade exposure when used in this exact setup. Photos below show each extreme in terms of blade placement and the resulting blade exposure.

Greatest exposure
proxy.php

proxy.php

Least exposure
proxy.php

proxy.php

Derby Pro for reference
proxy.php

proxy.php

Regardless of how the blade is placed, it will result in greater blade exposure than a traditional half-DE in this particular setup. Despite this, the shave still felt more forgiving than the Derby Pro. **I did my test shave with the least possible exposure.

Ultimately, I'd say that these blades are best suited for razors that are specifically designed to hold them. Those are available from Vincent or Univinlions. That said, they work just fine as a "retrofit" for a razor like this, so long as your conscious of blade placement. They are slightly more forgiving without sacrificing sharpness or effectiveness, but don't expect a Feather AC experience.

Regarding the Vanta, my guess is that these blades will fit and are probably as easy to insert as any traditional half-DE blade.

@DarkSpy, if you are located on the CONUS, I am happy to PIF you a couple of these blades to try in your Vanta. Same offer goes to you, @rudyt.

Just DM me your addresses, and I will mail them out.

@rs_776 I'm based in Europe and I don't own a Vanta, it's just one of the shavettes in my To-Buy list.
But the list is so long that I don't know what to do. Maybe the smart thing is to learn to use what I have, a CJB, a Xuemary (Feather Clone SS) and some half DE shavettes that I didn't like like the Sedef (to much blade exposure) another Chinese, well built, DE shavette but not forgiving and finally an Antiga Barbearia de Bairro shavette that's a pain to put the blade in.

For the record my experience so far as been:
Half DE shavettes: kinda gave up on the first try, they don't feel safe to me
CJB and Xuemary:
- got the clones to try and if I like them I pretend to buy the real thing
- First tries with the CJB I liked it but I didn't stick with it. I got the Xuemary to try the lip type and a folding type
- I kind of like the Feather SS clone but not particularly the angle of use. Maybe is because I prefer the folding mechanism better.
- AC type blades really are more forgiving, especially with the SS clone I feel I make some mistakes because of the angle, and I even feel it cutting the skin, but no blood. It's kind of weird because I'm sure I cut myself.
- The Proline really seems to be sharper. But the jury it's still out on the smoothness of this type of blade (I think It will come with experience)

I know I ask a lot of questions but I prefer to have the information even if I don't use it (by buying a certain product for example).

Right now in my To-Buy list:
- Kai Captain Standard Folding
- Kurenai GF35
- Universal (Full or half DE??)
- Vanta (Full or half DE??)
- Some chinese hair shapers shavettes that look good but there's no information about them

What I really should do:
Stick with what I have and insist in the CJB and Feather SS clone.
Also try the ABB with a AC type (I know they fit).

Sorry for the long post, but I needed to share my dilemmas.

@Alter ego Great post.

My sedef has way more blade exposure (like 3x more). And I always found it strange as I watched some videos and they didn't seem like mine. I actually bought 2, because they had different prices in a popular/know turkish website. They were cheap, but when I got them they were exactly the same.

So a few months ago I went looking for sedef and 95% seemed like mine, but I found 1 sedef that seemed different, that it might be the thing I was looking for. I never bought it because I was not sure and because it was expensive. Well relatively expensive at 5€, it's still +5 times more expensive than mine were.

Now looking at your photos I 100% sure that sedef is the right one.
Differences:
- The spine in yours seems more pronounced (this might not be true)
- The heel in mine (and the more exposure sedefs) is rounded where yours is not. This is actually the key feature to identify the right type of sedef:
Rounded Heel: Scary blade exposure
45º Angled hell: the right amount of blade exposure- maybe as it still has more exposure that the other two options shown.

- Universal (Full or half DE??)
The choice is entirely subjective. Do you like wide stable razors, or narrow, more manoeuvrable razors that demand a bit more attention?

I don't have a half-blade Universal, but I have other half-blade shavettes (Spilo Magic and Sedef) and I much prefer my wider full-DE blade Universal.

The full-blade Universal also takes half blades if you have a bunch of pre-cuts lying around.

Also, there area reports of the half-blade Universal not having as precise blade alignment posts as the full blade version. I don't know if that applies to only one batch, or if all half blade razors are affected.

My blind recommendation is for the full-DE blade Universal.

It was an unpleasant surprise for me to find out that replicas are being made, copies of shavett which are not related to Sedef, Ali Biyikli.
The manufacturer is unknown to me, there are no markings on the razor handle. This turkish shavette is similar in design, slightly different in the shape of the razor handle, and has no relation to Sedef or Ali Biyikli.

The choice is entirely subjective. Do you like wide stable razors, or narrow, more manoeuvrable razors that demand a bit more attention?

I don't have a half-blade Universal, but I have other half-blade shavettes (Spilo Magic and Sedef) and I much prefer my wider full-DE blade Universal.

The full-blade Universal also takes half blades if you have a bunch of pre-cuts lying around.

Also, there area reports of the half-blade Universal not having as precise blade alignment posts as the full blade version. I don't know if that applies to only one batch, or if all half blade razors are affected.

My blind recommendation is for the full-DE blade Universal.

I was always more inclined to try the full DE Universal and/or Vanta, as I don't like to snap the blade and I can easily reuse them with safety razors.
My problem is that I'm a relatively short man, and the full DE shavettes seem big to me. The more videos I watch the more I think this.

I actually thought the reliability issues were with the full DE Universal. I think I read this, a long time ago, in the Italian forum using google translate, so maybe I got it wrong.

Like @Alter ego's Sedef, mine seems to have what you call the more pronounced spine and the 45 degree heel. Does yours have the word Sedef embossed on the handle like mine?
proxy.php

Yes, mine also has the Sedef written on it. But as you can see the heel in yours is rounded, and is different to @Alter ego s sedef.
I don't know if they are replicas, or which is which, I just thought that it could be a different model that is easily available to buy internationally.

I would love to know more about your experience with the KuerNai after you have used it a few more times.

IMHO Clear blade feel, good feedback. Some shaving angle variability, weight, good control and balance give a comfortable and efficient shave.

First shave (no pre shave, soap Fine) - beloved Gillette SB worked fine, but the feeling of the accent work in this dresser was different for them, the impression that they worked more sharply (maybe I'm not used to and pressed).
The second shave (no pre shave, Speick cream) - decided to try Treet Platinum (if these were some of the favorite blades in safety razor, they worked poorly in turkish shavette and bluebeards revenge), to my surprise the HRICO KureNai GF35 worked well, somewhat aggressively and one a small scratch around my neck and I only noticed it when I applied alcohol lotion.
Third - Gillette SB (no pre shave, Proraso red soap) - best shave.
Fourth - Gillette SB (no pre shave, Rasozero soap) - best shave.

Addition:
With regard to Gillette SB - when installing the blade so that the blade side where there is no glue is to the clamping part of the blade holder, it is easier to remove the blade, the less it sticks to the holder.

Removing the blades (without disassembling the holder), press on the clamping part of the holder and hold, press the paper sideways on the blade to separate it from the holder, then press the corner of the blade with paper and without letting go up - all the blade can be removed. Perhaps a lot of words, in practice, difficulties did not arise and everything is done quickly - somewhat adapted (so that each time to remove the blade does not remove the clamping part of the blade holder).

Last edited:
My problem is that I'm a relatively short man, and the full DE shavettes seem big to me. The more videos I watch the more I think this.

I actually thought the reliability issues were with the full DE Universal. I think I read this, a long time ago, in the Italian forum using google translate, so maybe I got it wrong.
Don't over-think this. Whether you have a head the size of a grape or a melon, the extra width of a full blade shavette shouldn't make much of a difference. That said, people do have preferences for narrow or wide razors, but that's related more to maneuverability than head size.

Look at Post #2221 in this thread. This is where @mjclark comments on the alignment pins of the half-blade Universal.

Just checking in.....

Still using the Feather folding SS. Switched on Sunday morning from a Schick Proline with about 11 shaves on it to a fresh Feather ProGuard. Should've stuck with the Proline. Even with 11 shaves on it the Proline was MUCH smoother than the ProGuard.

I'm beginning to believe the Rudy is right about the ProGuard. I'll try it again tomorrow to see whether it smoothed out some between its first and second shaves, but as of now I'm feeling like I might want to trade my ProGuard for some unguarded blades. I haven't cut myself at all using the Proline, so I guess I don't really need the guards on my blades.

I'm not sure I understand the problem. Every razor of this type allows these two pieces to be separated by a simple sliding motion. That gives you the option of doing a thorough cleaning and/or drying. Did anything appear to be bent or broken?
Thank you for your response. I realize now that you are correct. I guess I thought it was press pinned. When it slid apart it felt as if there was no longer any lateral friction at all. It had not felt this way for the several week preceding. I need to learn ask questions first, react later.

Top Bottom