What's new

Shavemac: Finest or Silvertip?

So, I've finally decided on my next brush... well, kind of. I've decided on a Shavemac for the following reasons:
  • Bulb-shaped Head
  • Price/Value
  • U.S. availability, as Jim at Vintage Blades carries them

However, after searching and browsing some of the old posts here regarding the Shavemac grades, I am unsure as to which grade to select (Finest or Silvertip). For those who have experienced both, perhaps you can give me some advice. I am looking for something with good backbone (not at all floppy) but with soft tips. I use creams 95% of the time.

So, the question is: Would the upgrade to silvertip be worth it? Is the difference in softness/backbone notable enough to justify the price difference?

-Pete

Pete, I have all three grades of Shavemac brushes, and I really don't think that you would be missing much by ordering the finest grade...other than the visually whiter tips of the silvertip. grade.
Either way you will be getting a fine brush.

Pete,

I sold my Shavemac Finest, not because I didn't like it, but because the bristle was indistinguishable from my Savile Row 3722 Silvertip (which I'm now certain is made by Shavemac). At $30 cheaper than the Silvertip, IMO the Finest represents one of the truly great values in brushes today.

John

Pete, I only own the Finest (for about 8 months now) and I love it. I am a 100% cream user. It is soft, but I do not consider it floppy. Holds water like nobody's business, creating excellent creamery goodness.

However, as I contemplate a whole new move into soaps, I am concerned that the Finest might just be a bit too soft. But I could be wrong - we'll see.

F

firebox

My shavemac silvertip holds more water than a five gallon bucket.

The Shavemac Silvertip is a superb brush.

Order direct from Bernd in Germany and you can get a custom made brush at a ridiculously low price.

The only brush I own that has more backbone than my Shavemac in finest 23mm knot is my simpson #1 chubby in super.It's my favorite soap/cream brush,but I prefer the chubby for soaps.Latherwise the chubby just keeps on giving.The Shavemac in finest likes to be used like a paint brush,yet will not splay out like my silvertip EJ or my B&B finest silvertip.It tends to keep It's bulb shape.Hope my my limited knowledge helps.(Note) the brush arrived in Canada at my house within 50 hrs from order in Germany(Shavemac) with express shipping.

I have both, and I tend to agree with the other who have both. The difference is 95% visual. Performance wise, they are awfully similar. The Silvertip is neither floppier nor stiffer than the Finest. If there is a hint of a difference, the Silvertip would be, as expected, a tiny hint less stiff and softer. You can't really tell a difference using them though. On my two, the color difference isn't even all that great.

I do feel like every now and then that my Silvertip is packed just a tiny bit more densely. But if you really like a super dense brush, you can ask for a little extra hair (there is a small fee).

-Mo

Top Bottom