What's new

Shave stick questions

Good day all! Well, I have found a chink in my daily shaving armor. I came home to visit the rents for the week and found that it is a pain to travel with all the necessary shaving items. I think it would be best for me to pick up a shave stick or two. So, I have a few questions

1) I love Tabac. I would LOVE the stick, but I think I only want to stick with the push up dispenser. Does anyone know where it can be purchased?

2) If I had to choose between speick, Dr. Harris Arlington, or TOBS, which one should I try as well (all sticks). It would be helpful if you could explain your choice.

3) Do you have a website that would offer both of the needed sticks described above?

Thanks alot fellas. By all means, don't feel like you have to answer all three questions.

Good day all! Well, I have found a chink in my daily shaving armor. I came home to visit the rents for the week and found that it is a pain to travel with all the necessary shaving items. I think it would be best for me to pick up a shave stick or two. So, I have a few questions

1) I love Tabac. I would LOVE the stick, but I think I only want to stick with the push up dispenser. Does anyone know where it can be purchased?

2) If I had to choose between speick, Dr. Harris Arlington, or TOBS, which one should I try as well (all sticks). It would be helpful if you could explain your choice.

3) Do you have a website that would offer both of the needed sticks described above?

Thanks alot fellas. By all means, don't feel like you have to answer all three questions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1x-Tabac-Origin...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca6f4b6eb

You can get the Tabac sticks there but they take about 1-2 weeks to get it. I never used all other three listed but I have heard great things about the D.R. Harris sticks, or any of there products in general. If you want a stick I have used and can suggest, I HIGHLY recommend Valobra. They are cheap, easily available ,smell great and lather like a beast.

Last edited:

I don't know anything about the other two you mention, but I have used Speick, and I don't recommend it because it comes as a bare stick wrapped in thin foil. For travel, I find that a stick that comes in some kind of push-up or twist-up form works best -- sorta like stick deodorant.

I don't know anything about the other two you mention, but I have used Speick, and I don't recommend it because it comes as a bare stick wrapped in thin foil. For travel, I find that a stick that comes in some kind of push-up or twist-up form works best -- sorta like stick deodorant.

Majority of soap sticks are like that unless you get La Toja , Irish Moos or even the Tabac the OP inquired about.

+1 to westcoast, John is the man. Out of the Speick, Harris, and TOBS I would say Speick. This is one of my must haves but I don't leave it in stick form instead I mill it into a bowl. You could also mill it into a push up stick. Speick is tallow instead of non tallow (TOBS) and tallow confused (Harris). It is cheap, lathers like a good tallow should, and has a great herbal scent. Plus the speick plant feels great on the skin. All of these soaps you mentioned are available at westcoast btw.

I would suggest in order:

Valobra
Speick
Irisch Moos
Palmolive

Valobra and Cella are the only two items that I have sold and even remotely regretted. It is good stuff. The Palmolive is also a very good performer and really surpassed my expectations.

ive got all three of the soaps you mentioned.

Id go tabac, harris, taylors

tabac is by far the easiest to lather up, and when youre traveling and dont have your best brushes, thats a good thing. Harris is great too, but its so expensive for a comparatively tiny stick. Taylors is also very good, but its glycerine based which I dont like.

It might be a nice time to consider trying an ARKO shave stick. They are quite inexpensive so if it turns out you dont like them, then its not a big resource drain. But if you do like it, it could last you quite a few travels.

It might be a nice time to consider trying an ARKO shave stick. They are quite inexpensive so if it turns out you dont like them, then its not a big resource drain. But if you do like it, it could last you quite a few travels.

I don't know why I didn't think about this because hands down Arko is one of my favorite soaps.

the Palmolive soap is amazing - I think that so far, this is the best performing soap at the cheapest price ANYWHERE... and its a stick.

Barry

Thanks for all the help y'all. I guess it seems like my little shopping list may have gotten longer :biggrin1:

Top Bottom