What's new

Sharpen a wedge

Hi Gents,
I have been straight shaving for a year and have just purchased a Wade and Butcher 6/8 wedge that will come shave ready. It is my first wedge (I have 5 other razors but no wedges). I have bought a set of Spyderco Medium,Fine and Ultra Fine stones, along with balsa paddles with Dovo Red and Black paste, and a paddle with CRo2.

I am told the razor was sharpened without tape, so can you give me an idea of how to keep it shave ready with the above kit. Is there any particular differences in the way you care for a wedge compared to a half or full hollow, and what can I expect from a razor such as the W&B wedge.

Regards

London

You can maintain wedges just like you would half, quarter and full hollows. They may take a little more work at any given stage, however, the process remains the same.

Dave,
I normally do not like to hone a wedge without using at least 1 layer of tape. My reason for this is both for cosmetic and time. The one layer of tape sill eliminate any scratches or polishing on the spine and will also raise the angle for the bevel just slightly, allowing you to remove just a little less steel.

That being said, you have what you need to maintain your razor. The method I normally use is this:

I will shave with the razor and after each shave do 50 laps on my leather strop. If you like, you can also do 40 laps on your linen first then your leather. Shave with the razor and continue doing this until you feel the shave just isn't quite up to your expectations. Then put 1 piece of tape on the spine, and with a wedge make sure it is even down both sides, and do just 6 to 10 very light laps on your Crox strop. Then wipe your razor clean and lap on your linen and leather as usual.

I continue to do this until going back to the Crox doesn't work. At that point, I either touch up the razor or just re-hone it and start over. This method keeps one razor going about 4 months, for me, before I need to re-hone it.

Hope this helps.

Ray

Also found out the hard way that the strop does not need to be as taut. I loosen up a bit so the leather to strop my wedge.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
+1 on Rayman's comments about at least one layer of tape.

Presumably, you can start honing this razor with a layer of tape (or two?) without too much trouble ... of course, you are resetting the angle of honing, so your first post-tape job is to establish a new bevel, but that shouldn't take too much time.

Be sure to use the same tape amount each time you re-hone.

I have not tried this specific move before, so please wait on this until the more experienced wedge-honers weigh in with opinions. :001_rolle

Its mostly personal preference. But it certainly does save time when establishing a bevel. If the bevel is there, just use the existing one.

Some honemeisters are vehemently anti-tape. A few are vehemently pro tape.

In my experience, even guys who don't like using tape on razors normally recommend using at least one layer of tape on wedges...

Well, with bevel establishment, I recommend tape to save you time and frustration. Plus, it looks ugly if you don't use at least one layer.

But if your touching up a razor, you should use whatever method was last used.

Well, with bevel establishment, I recommend tape to save you time and frustration. Plus, it looks ugly if you don't use at least one layer.

But if your touching up a razor, you should use whatever method was last used.

:yesnod: OR tape to be safe.. Secondary bevels are OK :tongue_sm

Top Bottom