What's new

Sharp & Smooth!

26 shaves with straights and I'm loving it even more! :thumbup:

I'm now the proud owner of 3 "shave ready" straights...just got my Gold Dollar #208 back from being honed by Bart. It was definitely worth the wait. I've just shaved with it and I think it qualifies as "scary sharp" but it also felt tremendously smooth. Now I've really got something to aim for when I get my own Coticule, if that's the result that's possible! :w00t:

The razor is technically a 6/8, although it actually measures 13/16 so it could be a "small" 7/8 :lol: Round point so my ear lobes can breathe a sigh of relief after their close calls with a spike recently!

I realise that I should have given the Offenbach another few shaves to get used to it, but I was like a kid on Christmas Day and couldn't wait to take the GD for a test run :001_smile

I followed Bart's advice and just (carefully) wiped off the oil before use. No way was I going to risk wrecking the edge with a potentially poor, newbie stropping technique.

I face lathered with my Men-U boar brush and a Palmolive stick. I must be in the shaving gods good books at the moment...perfect lather ensued :001_smile

First pass was my usual WTG going North to South on my cheeks. The scales feel a bit flimsy so it's definitely a candidate for a re-scale (I've got some acrylic sheets lined up already). The edge went through the stubble like a hot knife through butter!! Even though I'd had a DFS with a Slim 24 hours ago, there was significant hair removal.

My decision to start learning using both hands seems to be paying off, it's feeling a lot more natural to use either hand with a straight...it certainly makes getting my jawline easier. I do a XTG from my chin towards my ear, whilst looking away to the side, this seems to stretch the skin a bit more. The final inch or so gets stretched by pulling my ear outwards and cutting from ear towards my chin.

My neck gets a North to South WTG pass followed by a South to North ATG pass around my Adam's apple area, the sides get 2 XTG passes, one pass each way.

The only bloodshed tonight was a tiny weeper when I nicked my mole.

Finished off by giving the razor a quick, careful, rinse. Dried with toilet paper, 10 laps on Latigo then oiled the blade with baby oil. Applied Witch Hazel to my face, only a very slight "tingle", mostly near the mole I'd nicked.

I'd like to finish by giving a very public thanks and :thumbup: to Bart for a very nice job! :001_smile

EDIT: Just noticed I've posted this in Hones/Honing instead of General Straight Razor Talk....it's definitely Coticule related but maybe more suitable in the General area.

Last edited:
I don't believe it!

There is no way a Gold Dollar can give such a nice shave....

:001_rolle

Congrats. A truly sharp razor is a joy to use!

I don't believe it!

There is no way a Gold Dollar can give such a nice shave....

:001_rolle

Congrats. A truly sharp razor is a joy to use!

The test will be to see how long it lasts! :lol:
For obvious reasons this post hasn't been duplicated elsewhere :sneaky2:

Go ahead...I dare you!:wink2:

EDIT: post 4k!

I might...if I have another couple of Stella's :lol:

Congratulations on the 4K :thumbup:

Thanks for keeping things open-minded when I first asked about GD's here at B&B....I'm very happy with my razor that cost less than £10 (shipped) and Bart's expertise has proved that it's possible to get a great edge on them :001_smile

It was far more difficult to take it to the post office than it was to hone it. :blush: (my apologies for the long wait)

The Gold Dollar 208 is a fine blade.

Thank you for the kind words,

Bart.

Top Bottom